Confessions of a cake-hating heretic

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
eileithyia

Re: Confessions of a cake-hating heretic

Post by eileithyia »

Vorpal wrote:And here I thought that the point of riding my bike was to get to the cake. :wink:

p.s. I don't need to be with a group to eat cake.

Can quite agree there having done many solo rides....
I often find I feel better for 30 min stop, refreshed and ready to go again for the next however many miles.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

My mind is a boggle, I even used to race just for the tea and cake afterwards!

I mostly ride alone but that's because I ride when others are working but I can enjoy either alone or group riding. I'm known to go out for four/five hours even in the winter and a mid ride warm up/refreshment stop is almost a fixture of any ride out. Too short and there's no benefit, too long and you don't want to leave - between 30 and 45 minutes, a pot of tea and egg on toast and i'm ready for another couple of hours!

I can do long rides without the stop but I prefer not to.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Peter W wrote:Mercalia. I was 80 years old in November last year. My normal cycling is over the Yorkshire Dales, and Yorkshire Moors, taking in all the usual popular cicuits and climbs. (Buttertubs, Stang, Tan Gill, Oxnap Scar etc etc.)

For the last several years I've fitted 1:1 ratio bottom geras to both my road bikes for those steep long climbs. but just this year I've found 1:4 climbs a bit more difficult on that ratio, so I've adapted both bikes (older 9 speed Spesh Roubaix - new 11 speed Spesh Roubaix) with 12/36 cassette and MTB Deore mech with 50/34 compact rings on old Roubaix - 11/34 cassette with sub compact 48/32 rings on new Roubaix, to give one step lower bottom gearing for long steep climbing.

It would be easy to misunderstand what motivates some of us oldies. I am not chasing my youth by trying to compete with younger fitter riders, but simply competing with myself to at least limit inevitable decline into something quite acceptable. It would be failure if those climbs were not still attainable.

I suppose that's why a degree of impatience is evident, by not wanting to rest for too long.That kind of smacks of giving in! It gives a great deal of joy and satisfaction to complete the 'mission' on my terms. (The worst time funnily enough was on turning 40, and starting to think I was past it. :lol: :lol: That now seems ridiculous, so here's to the next 10 years!

I likes your gear talk. Although I am but a sprightly 69, the gears on all my bikes go lower than 1:1. Moreover, there's nothing higher than 1:4. Gravity does wonders for acceleration & speed if one crouches into a cat-pounce shape whilst descending. (I can no longer do 35mph on the flat for more than a couple of minutes). The crawler gears mean that the Pennine and Lakeland roads all remain available. (As do the West Welsh ones).

But I must here mention the issue of our motivation(s) to cycle. You have made a bit of a list. I have done so myself, in the past. Time and events have taught me that these motivations, reasons, explanations and all other forms of conscious rationalisation for what we do are goosewipe & poodlejuice. In reality, something churns deep within the mind-body plexus then outputs a set of motor impulses. The conscious "me" that has emerged as some kind of observer then pretends to itself that it is in charge and therefore itself derived the orders to this plexus, along with all sorts of "reasons" why.

I now tell people who ask me why I ride a bike that I don't know - I just do.

As to the styles of riding - alone, in various groups, at various speeds and in various fashions .... my mind-body plexus seems to seek out and enjoy them all, including the cake-quaffing.

Cugel, knowing only that I'm just another mysterious human thing, probably capable of anything if the world pushes the right Cugel-buttons.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Peter W

Post by Peter W »

Thank you Cugel, I do take your point. What we imagine we are, and what we imagine motivates us, is indeed a lame attempt to make sense. (AKA gobbledegook, or self delusion. )

From now on I shall simply use your explanation. I don't know - it just happens! (Good luck with your riding.)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

having a break and a kip with a cold drink can be very nice
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

The cake stop is so much a part of cycling that there are even websites devoted to the pursuit of finding the perfect stop.
http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Most of the time I'm with the no stop bunch. The time taken to get a drink and cake served could be spent in knocking off another 10 miles. My motto when all day trail riding on my motorcycle was no lunch 'til tea time.

I like to relax but cycling at any speed is slow enough to look at the views. Same with chatting. Of course stopping has its place especially as part of a tour when dawn to dusk is there to ride in, but especially in the winter I'd rather either do some more miles or get home earlier, especially if it means avoiding shivering in a café.
Not especially training but cake means more calories and less miles to burn it off and I can't afford that!
Finally I am tight . I hate paying 2 quid plus for a bit of cake that isn't as nice as my wifes and the same for coffee that costs even more if its made by machine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mattsccm wrote:Most of the time I'm with the no stop bunch. The time taken to get a drink and cake served could be spent in knocking off another 10 miles. My motto when all day trail riding on my motorcycle was no lunch 'til tea time.

I like to relax but cycling at any speed is slow enough to look at the views. Same with chatting. Of course stopping has its place especially as part of a tour when dawn to dusk is there to ride in, but especially in the winter I'd rather either do some more miles or get home earlier, especially if it means avoiding shivering in a café.
Not especially training but cake means more calories and less miles to burn it off and I can't afford that!
Finally I am tight . I hate paying 2 quid plus for a bit of cake that isn't as nice as my wifes and the same for coffee that costs even more if its made by machine.

Coffee! - you truly are a heretic!

Coffee may be fine for beardy hipsters but seriously, a cafe stop may have a variety of victuals but only tea should be drunk. Coffee is fine for breakfast or maybe to relax after a ride but never during! (there is a practical reason for this - coffee is a diuretic and we don't want to be looking for a gate after twenty minutes do we?)
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I though coffee was good to give you a boost? For pro racers isn't there a limit to how much caffeine is allowed in the bloodstream? FWIW I like coffee for breakfast and elevenses and after that, tea.
RickH

Post by RickH »

foxyrider wrote:... coffee is a diuretic and we don't want to be looking for a gate after twenty minutes do we?

I thought tea had similar diuretic properties (unless you drink it pathetically weak :? )
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

RickH wrote:
foxyrider wrote:... coffee is a diuretic and we don't want to be looking for a gate after twenty minutes do we?

I thought tea had similar diuretic properties (unless you drink it pathetically weak :? )

Only if you drink more than a pint! And of course it's much cheaper than coffee, in my usual cafe stops I get a pot that'll do 4 cups for the price of a nasty coffee! Okay, I am in Yorkshire but even so.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

RickH wrote:

No real evidence for either apparently: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140402-are-coffee-and-tea-dehydrating
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Foxyrider. I must apologise for my laziness. I too believe that this modern idea of coffee is a step too far but couldn't be bothered to add that to my post. As a club rider in my teens I was glad for a tea despite loathing it . (I was bloody minded and told my mum, when I was 13, that I didn't like the stuff. No idea if that was the case.) Never touched a drop for decades and even now its under duress (sort of) .
The idea of coffee is just trendy, brought about by journalists who wish they were Italian and cycled in warm climates, probably without a waterproof, and undoubtedly with white shoes. This of course goes along with the distressing tendency to talk about distances and heights in metric along with tyres being called clinchers etc. Should they have to venture out into the rain they fit fenders not mudguards.
Oh yeah, cake. Boughten cake! Never. In the good old days that was only done at jumble sales or somewhere where the WI were in attendance. Beans on toast surely or just maybe if feeling posh in the summer a ploughmans.
Its no wonder the world is in the state it is!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

And what's wrong with gates? Any ride with middle aged + men will be stopping even 10 miles anyway.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mattsccm wrote:And what's wrong with gates? Any ride with middle aged + men will be stopping even 10 miles anyway.

Nothing wrong with gates - there just never seems to be a suitable one when you need one and think about the poor ladies!

My ride yesterday was stopless and all the poorer for that - I mean, 50 miles without putting foot to earth sat on a slither of leather - where's the fun in that?