Penny farthings

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rjb

Re: Penny farthings

Postby rjb » 2 Jun 2018, 6:50pm

brynpoeth wrote:Do you ride a unicycle from A to B?
Please tell us more!

This local lad is riding from A to A. Almost home now. :wink:
http://www.worldunicycletour.com
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 2 Jun 2018, 7:49pm

Mick F wrote:Is it possible to have a small penny-farthing and use some sort of hub gear system to make the gearing bigger and variable?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=banta ... PPEROuGcnM:
Crypto bantam
NUKe

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 3 Jun 2018, 9:04am

brynpoeth wrote:Do you ride a unicycle from A to B?
Please tell us more!

I don't get much further than A...

Ought to dig it out as it's been quite a while. It seems you don't forget how to ride a uni either, and I'm usually pleasantly surprised at how little time it takes to get back to it. Having said that, I'm not exactly getting back to a high level. I can't idle or go backwards, and I think my longest uninterrupted ride thus far was about 2 km.

I'd like a go on an Ordinary, because I much prefer to be rubbish at lots of stuff than to focus at all, but I've yet to find an opportunity. I've tried one of the relatively wee ones (36" front) and that was really no problem at all, but it's just a scale model.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 3 Jun 2018, 9:11am

Maybe a 44-46" ordinary would be best, a bit longer for stability, could be get lots of attention AND be practical, the gear is a bit low but one could get used to it
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 3 Jun 2018, 9:15am

Got a picture somewhere advertising unicycling lessons:
"Evolution"
First pic: baby in pram, four wheels
Toddler on tricycle, three wheels
Child on bicycle, two wheels
One wheel good, more wheels bad? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

hercule

Postby hercule » 3 Jun 2018, 9:33am

Mick F wrote:Is it possible to have a small penny-farthing and use some sort of hub gear system to make the gearing bigger and variable?

It was done back then... the Crypto Bantam. (1896). Though the epicyclic was a one-speed affair to gear up the wheel.

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/bikes-1800 ... to-bantam/

Steve Parry of Brompton modifying fame has built a modern version too.

http://www.eclecticbikes.co.uk/#jp-carousel-209

And there was the Kangaroo Ordinary as well...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_bicycle

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 3 Jun 2018, 10:13am

Why would anybody want a big front wheel with the increased risk of going over the handlebars? I suppose you would have a better view of your surroundings and you might be a bit more visible, but otherwise it seems like circus clown territory.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Jun 2018, 10:53am

hercule wrote:

It was done back then... the Crypto Bantam. (1896). Though the epicyclic was a one-speed affair to gear up the wheel.
I was wondering in an idle moment, that a Sturmey Archer system could be used.
Mick F. Cornwall

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 3 Jun 2018, 11:26am

thirdcrank wrote:Why would anybody want a big front wheel with the increased risk of going over the handlebars? I suppose you would have a better view of your surroundings and you might be a bit more visible, but otherwise it seems like circus clown territory.

Nostalgia clearly isn't what it used to be...
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 Jun 2018, 11:51am

thirdcrank wrote:Why would anybody want a big front wheel with the increased risk of going over the handlebars? I suppose you would have a better view of your surroundings and you might be a bit more visible, but otherwise it seems like circus clown territory.

If anyone has been to the Knutsford Ordinary race held in the centre of the town every ten years they'd appreciate frightening it looks just to watch the spectacle, next race is in two years time,and is well worth attending.
Here's a report:- https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... great-race
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 3 Jun 2018, 11:55am

Does the UCI have any rules on gears for ordinary bicycles? :wink:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 Jun 2018, 11:56am

thirdcrank wrote:Does the UCI have any rules on gears for ordinary bicycles? :wink:

Not presently but I think the 1x system will soon be deriguer :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 3 Jun 2018, 1:45pm

There is a big ordinary rally in Tasmania every year. Next one is 23rd Feb 2019, so plenty of time to get a bit of practice in.

http://www.evandalevillagefair.com/

Here is a short para from the website, sorry but they call them penny farthings.

"The wheels of time turn back over a hundred years as the peaceful village of Evandale in northern Tasmania once again plays host to the Evandale Village Fair and National Penny Farthing Championships. The Evandale Village Fair is held annually in February, and features a full program of Penny Farthing bicycle racing featuring the National Penny Farthing Championship. Started in 1983 the Evandale Penny Farthing races attract enthusiasts from across Australia and around the world. Accompanying the Penny Farthings races are a country fair and period themed festival."

9494arnold

Postby 9494arnold » 3 Jun 2018, 8:21pm

At the risk of starting the obvious, High Wheelers are Fized Wheel.
There is almost inevitably a step just above the small wheel. Grab the handlebars , foot on step and scoot. Once it's rolling step up on the step into the saddle and catch up with the Pedals. The steering comes as a bit of a shock as the cranks and Pedals turn with the fork. And there's not a lot of room for your thighs under the handlebars.
But you get used to it. And the wheel is quite close to your inner thighs as you ride.
There's usually something to stop your trousers rubbing on the wheel.
You see high wheelers with front brakes, general concencus amongst more proficient riders than I that a brake is akin to a suicide lever. Lots of riders have gone over the bars and taken what is called a "Royal Header" . And I know a couple of guys who have broken wrists as a result of a fall.
Never been brave enough to venture on to the road myself, ridden in parks and around the Silverstone Race Circuit once. :D

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 6 Aug 2019, 11:32am

Does anyone know anything about this pair?
6A80ABB3-D328-4C01-81F6-42F6586EE5DB.jpeg

Spotted this morning on LEJOG route and had been sighted yesterday in Gretna.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/