Oxford Cycles; genuine or not?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
foxychick

Re: Oxford Cycles; genuine or not?

Post by foxychick »

Now reported to santander fraud department at liverpool.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Anyone live nearby care to cycle round for a look?

No need. If you use Google Streetview, you can see there is no such address.

They and the address are not listed in Royal Mail's address finder website, and the company, Oxford (UK) Cycles Ltd according to the website T&C, is not listed at Companies House as far I can see.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Great detective work by ctc members miss marple eat your heart out!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Who knows, maybe the firm is very very new and the map websites are not up to date, maybe the stock has not been ordered yet

Plenty of reasons to look a gift horse in the mouth mind, if it is cheap but not free :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
slowster

Post by slowster »

foxychick wrote:Now reported to santander fraud department at liverpool.

Good work. May I suggest you ask Santander also to report it to/liase with Action Fraud. Otherwise the perpetrators may be able just to change the details on the website to another bank account if the Santander one is closed/locked, so steps also need to be taken to shut the website down.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

I have given them all the information including email address, website address and phone number as well.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Have to admit (as an Oxford local) I’ve never heard of them or seen them mentioned- not that that’s at all conclusive!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
bryan.fanson1

Post by bryan.fanson1 »

Thank you guys. This confirms my gut feelings about this place, just thought I ought to get it raised so that anyone searching info on them in the future will get this thread thrown back to them. They don't even appear on a Google search. I was caught out many years ago buying a quad bike for my kids with the money my late Mum left them. Once bitten and all that.
Thanks for all the pro active responses. I wouldnt know where to start with filing reports against sites like these, other than perhaps with the police.
Last edited by bryan.fanson1 on 2 Jun 2018, 6:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've emailed Oxford Bikeworks with a link to this post to make them aware. I'd hate to see someone get confused and bad mouth the reputable company.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

simonhill wrote:I've emailed Oxford Bikeworks with a link to this post to make them aware. I'd hate to see someone get confused and bad mouth the reputable company.

That is a big problem, people think they have heard of a cycle shop with Oxford in the name. I think the memory may not store the full name to save space

Maybe there should be laws about similar names or businesses could buy up similar names to avoid confusion
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

According to Companies House there is a company called 'Oxford Cycles Ltd' in existence, company number 07615718, with two officers,
Richard and Libby Mayo (director and secretary respectively) both of 2 Richmond Court, 249 London Road, Oxford, both appointed on 27 April 2011

From: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... 8/officers

However, this does not necessarily mean that the two are connected.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
simonhill wrote:I've emailed Oxford Bikeworks with a link to this post to make them aware. I'd hate to see someone get confused and bad mouth the reputable company.

That is a big problem, people think they have heard of a cycle shop with Oxford in the name. I think the memory may not store the full name to save space

There is also the Oxford Bicycle Company (website https://oxfordbicyclecompany.co.uk/) who I believe are a reputable local bike shop in Cowley with a predominately local clientele.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

foxychick wrote:Now reported to santander fraud department at liverpool.

:like:
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe there should be laws about similar names or businesses could buy up similar names to avoid confusion

You may have been ironic here, and it's whooshed over my head, but there are laws about similar names. It's called 'passing off'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_off
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

jgurney wrote:According to Companies House there is a company called 'Oxford Cycles Ltd' in existence, company number 07615718, with two officers,
Richard and Libby Mayo (director and secretary respectively) both of 2 Richmond Court, 249 London Road, Oxford, both appointed on 27 April 2011

From: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... 8/officers

However, this does not necessarily mean that the two are connected.
There was a company of that name. It was dissolved Dec 2013.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.