Walking past No Entry Signs

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
MikeF

Re: Walking past No Entry Signs

Post by MikeF »

gaz wrote:
On 22nd July 2019, Mark Yeats an Inspector appointed by the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs confirmed the Muddy Lane Map Modification Order.

This means that Muddy Lane is now a bridleway and can be used by cyclists.

https://elmbridgecycle.org/ (post 08/08/2019).
Well spotted and good news. Rather too far away for me to use.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
madbitz

Re: Walking past No Entry Signs

Post by madbitz »

What about if you carried it past. I know that from working on highways for many years. Roads signs have a kind of invisible boundry of about 20 meters. So carry it 20 mtrs or so past the sign then lower it back to the ground and ride off.

thirdcrank wrote:Is this an officially erected sign?

The broad issue of cyclists dismounting and ignoring traffic signs is raised on here from time to time. A pedal cycle is both a carriage and a vehicle. If a sign applies to vehicles rather than only mechanically-propelled vehicles then it applies to pedal cycles.

The waters were muddied by the pedestrian crossing case (Stronglight versus Selle Italia :wink: ) where my very good friend the milkman ruled that a cyclist was a passenger on foot - ie a pedestrian - which they obviously are, but he was not asked to rule on whether that pedestrian was driving a vehicle so in legal terms the case is irrelevant. A pedestrian can drive a vehicle.

Somebody did post a link somewhere suggesting that the authors of the HC had interpreted the case to mean that bikes could be wheeled on pavements etc.

It's inconceivable that even the most anti-cycling police officer or PCSO would report this or if they did, that that the CPS would regard it as being in the public interest to prosecute. However, if there were to be a big compo claim involved, eg cyclist wheels a bike past a sign eg a red traffic light straight under a bus, I would expect the learned friends to be involved.