Can you ID this bike (accident)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PT1029

Can you ID this bike (accident)

Post by PT1029 »

In the local paper today, cyclist had an accident in Drayton, Oxfordshire, police can't trace the family.
Can you ID the bike in question? (green Moulton). If so, police contact details in news article.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/162666 ... _Abingdon/

Cheers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Can you ID this bike (accident)

Post by Mick F »

Nice bike.

This situation is why I always carry ID with me, plus a card with NOK contact details, plus my mobile phone.

Hope they find out who he is. It can't be easy for them to work it out without clues.
Perhaps if they read the frame's serial number, they could trace the original owner of the bike. My Moulton's serial number was written on a card on which I filled my name and address and then posted it off back to Moulton for warranty purposes.

The serial number is stamped on the frame split tube where the bolt goes through.
Mick F. Cornwall
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Thanks for this Mike.
I passsed it on to the Police, they told me they have now have the man's ID/family.

Cheers.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oh dear. :cry:
Condolences to his family.

I wonder what happened?
No other vehicle involved.

Looking at the bike, it seems he went straight into something .................... or did his front mudguard jam up in the front forks and cause the accident?
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Condolences to his family.

Without witness's it would be very difficult to say that another road user was not there and had no influence on the incident.
Another road user would only have to move in a certain way to unnerve a lone cyclist, a look is bad enough for me, not that I personally let the later affect my safety, if in doubt and possible stop safely and get on to kerb on foot.

The setup of bike is unusual, especially the bars, not a system I would like to adopt on any bike.

Picture of bike is now gone on the linked page.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Picture of bike is now gone on the linked page.
Still there from this end.
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 12.20.06.png
Mick F. Cornwall
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:The setup of bike is unusual, especially the bars, not a system I would like to adopt on any bike.

They are Moulton Mosquito Bars (on a Moulton wishbone stem), IIRC introduced with the New Series and still available as an option. I've never tried them but they seem to have a bit of a Marmite vibe about them from what I've read. NSs more usually ship with drop or straight bars.
The wishbone stem makes it very easy to adjust the bars, but they are very expensive.

It looks a bit odd as presumably the nature of the accident was riding very hard in to something that bend the forks back a long way.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

.............. but it appears not to have damaged the front wheel.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote: ....or did his front mudguard jam up in the front forks and cause the accident?

you know I think you might be right; it would have taken some force to have folded the mudguard double like that and more to the point it is hard to see how that could have happened at the same time as running into something head on. I think the mudguard probably folded up and that caused the whole thing, including bending the forks like that.

I note that the rear mudguard is set incredibly close to the tyre; I would expect the front to have been set in a similar way. I think I can just see in the photo that there is no secu-clip fitted to the front mudguard stay. If the clearance was as small as might be imagined, the first stone chipping with a little tar on it (on one of the first hot days of the year?) might have been enough to drag everything round, and when the stays hit the brake mount, that would have been it.

Poor blighter.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The mudguards on my Moulton TSR are very close to the tyres, front and rear. It's where the bridges are that's the problem.
I'm on record on here describing how the front mudguard cracked and how I repaired it with a new bridge and new stays. The mudguard now has two sets of stays instead of the usual one.
You can see the crack in the attached photograph at the second set of stays.

It could have been possible that when mine snapped, it could have jammed up under the forks. Doing that at speed ............ and I'm no slouch descending hills ........... could have resulted in a header. :shock:

IMG_0287.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Maybe these should have been fitted,if that is possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McynZUqTJpo

Edit,just noticed Brucey mentioned this.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Good spot Brucey maybe Mick should have the credit, that would explain every thing :(

Got to admit that ALL my bikes with stays have sucure clips, never had a problem to date before I knew they existed.
I hope someone examines the bike and makes a recommendation that might save lives in future ?

Just how do we explain to Mick F that it might be a good idea :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
drossall

Post by drossall »

In all seriousness, should someone be sharing these expert comments with the investigating police? We may be familiar with Chris Juden's campaign on mudguard fittings, but they may not be.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

AFAICT like Mick's, current SKS/moulton specific mudguards eg as listed by fudges

https://fudgescyclesonline.com/product/alex_moulton_mudguards_tsr_am_20_models

have just one front stay and no secu-clip.

Wouldn't be my choice, that.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~