£800 to spend

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nick1984

£800 to spend

Post by nick1984 »

After being properly measured (which I wasn’t in Halfords) I appears that I’m on a bike that’s too small, hence the reason why I feel I’m going over the bars when I try to get up on the hoods, and forever have to keep adjusting myself while out riding, so after a visit to a well known cycle shop just after receiving birthday gifts i have around £800 to spend.

What are people’s suggestions,

I will need a 54cm frame, black red and white colour scheme
peetee

Re: £800 to spend

Post by peetee »

Having previously been 'incorrectly measured' I would not be too fixated on the frame size you have been quoted. That size is generally in reference to the seat tube length and the issue you previously had was almost certainly an issue with reach and the two are not proportional from bike to bike. I would expect the recent fit to have armed you with a reach measurement as it is far more critical. The adjustability on a bike by substituting stems or moving the saddle fore and aft is far less than the potential for extending/dropping the seat post.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

What peetee said. Also a 54 cm frame in one brand will be very different than a 54 cm in another brand. It's more about geometry than frame size, and if you aren't careful you end up with the same problem on your new bike.

What size is your current bike? You might be able to move the saddle back, or get a layback seat post that will sort it for you.

No problem if you want a new bike, but it may help you figure what you want in a new bike if you can get the set-up right on the current one. That's certainly feasible if it's only a bit too small. It might be pointless if it's very much too small.

forumite 531Colin has this bike fitting guide http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/docume ... 02017a.pdf that's worth having a look at both with regard to you currently set-up, and any future purchase.

Other than that, the best way to select a bike is go ride some. Preferably lots of them.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

As the others have said, don't get fixated on frame size (or colour!) I have a selection of bikes that all fit me (the riding position is within a nats on all of them, varying a little with purpose) a 52, 54, 56, 58 and 60 all measured the same way from BB centre to seat clamp.

The sizing you have been given is a starting point but no more, you need to sit on real bikes.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
nick1984

Post by nick1984 »

Spent the afternoon sitting and riding bikes, like the look/feel of pinnacle laterite 3 and a cube attain gtc (on offer for 160 more than the pinnacle) both have 105 sets but the cube has 105 crank set too. Cube is a bit more than I want to spend but it’s full carbon and it won’t need upgrading like the few bits on the pinnacle that are not 105 (things have to match)

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Decathlon B'Twin Ultra 900
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells