SKS Rear Mudguard Bridge: metal or plastic?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
horizon

SKS Rear Mudguard Bridge: metal or plastic?

Post by horizon »

(I've put this in does anyone know as it isn't very technical.)

I've recently bought a pair of SKS mudguards that came supplied with a plastic rear bridge. It's OK but I would have preferred a metal one. However, the one on the original mudguard was metal and had in fact broken. So any views on which is better - plastic or metal?

(They are very cheap so I might buy a spare or two.)

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/3 ... idge-each/
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gaz

Re: SKS Rear Mudguard Bridge: metal or plastic?

Post by gaz »

I expect I have one or more metal ones in the spares box from P45s. I'll check tomorrow.
toontra

Post by toontra »

The metal ones break so regularly I carry zip ties specifically to bodge a repair when/if it happens. Surely the plastic ones are better?!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Had the metal ones break besides rattling on the odd occasion.
The plastic one has been all right so far.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Thanks! That does change things somewhat! Anyway it's on now and seemingly very secure.

And my next question is ....

Why (or how) do SKS use stay-ends that mean you have to cut the stay in order to adjust it (if you want to retain the plastic stay-end)?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

When the metal one on my Chromoplastics broke I didn't have a spare so "raided" the plastic one from an old pair of Blumels. But the tang of the plastic one was not properly square to the fixing bolt and whilst it worked, the bridge was twisting the mudguard a bit. Didn't do any damage but not ideal and I did replace it with a new metal one after a few weeks.

Ian
rjb

Post by rjb »

I drilled and tapped a m5 thread in my frame brake bridge and bolted it up using a mushroom head allen screw. No more pesky mudguard bridges. This only works if you have cantilever or v brakes. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I have had many metal bridges break over the years but not one of the plastic ones. Current guards have been fitted for several years now and show no signs of the usual failure.

Oh they are SKS guards
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
toontra

Post by toontra »

Which makes me think I should get a plastic one for my 35's - but where? Can only see the plastic ones on German sites and I'm not paying £10 postage for a £1 item!
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've posted as well on an old mudguard thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=108983&p=1242414#p1242414
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a significant problem with plastic bridges is that if you use caliper brakes where the brake centrebolt goes through the bridge, you can't tighten the brake bolt fully any more.

Metal ones every time for me! They are prevented from breaking by

a) fitting the mudguard without strain on the bridge and
b) fitting washers either side of the slot in the bridge so that it cannot flex at the bottom of the slot

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My Moulton ones came with a black plastic rear bridge, so I ditched it and fitted a spare stainless steel one.
Much better, and stronger too.
Plastic ones cannot fit properly as they are too thick and squidgy so you can't fit your rear brake properly .......... just like Brucey says.

Mercian has the front and rear bridges drilled and tapped so you drill a hole in the mudguard to fit them. Consequently, I had a rear spare.
The front fitting gets removed.
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I had the problem Brucey mentions on my wife's winter bike with a plastic bridge, though it is possible to get longer Allen key nuts to accommodate the bridge. I ended up zip tying the bridge to the seat stays - one tie to each side. Looks a bit messy but it works. The mudguard is rock solid and has done 2 winters of service with this arrangement.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

even if there is enough bolt length to fit a plastic bridge onto a caliper brake centrebolt, it still ain't a smart idea; if the bolt is tightened fully it will often just crush the plastic bridge. If left looser than that and the threadlock doesn't prevent the fastener from backing out, the brake can work loose or fall off.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Brucey wrote:even if there is enough bolt length to fit a plastic bridge onto a caliper brake centrebolt, it still ain't a smart idea; if the bolt is tightened fully it will often just crush the plastic bridge.

cheers

Or just snap it altogether, like wot I have just done. :roll: