Opinions on this bike please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Fraz101

Opinions on this bike please

Post by Fraz101 »

So I'm on the lookout for a new bike for commuting,

What do you all think of this bike for sale local to me on gumtree?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/gian ... 1302227546

Good deal? Average price? What should I ask? Seems it's a 2016 model....
Cyril Haearn

Re: Opinions on this bike please

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Go to have a look at the bike in the flesh, ask to see the receipt

Is 50% depreciation in two years normal?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

I have messaged to ask a few questions. Age,if it's got receipt,how many miles,if it's original chain and cassette.

It is a lot of bike (compared to the giant escape 3 2018) for same money but better spec.

Obviously spares will be more expensive that the group set fitted to escape 3, however will the components (cassette especially) last longer?
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I have never found cassette wear to be critical - however, I do change my chains before they reach 1%. My current Tiagra 10sp 11/32 has done about 8, maybe 10K miles and still works fine.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

gxaustin wrote:I have never found cassette wear to be critical - however, I do change my chains before they reach 1%. My current Tiagra 10sp 11/32 has done about 8, maybe 10K miles and still works fine.

Thanks

Going to see bike tomorrow night.

Hopefully it’s as described
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If it fits you, it looks a good deal. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Fraz101 wrote:....Obviously spares will be more expensive that the group set fitted to escape 3, however will the components (cassette especially) last longer?

10s parts certainly do not last longer than (say) 8s parts. They also cost a fair bit more to buy.

You can avoid buying new sprockets by replacing the chain regularly as noted above. However the point at which you have to do this varies with the way you ride the bike. If you are a powerful rider, or spend a lot of time in just a few sprockets, then the chain cannot wear as much before you must change it for a new one. For example if I let a 10s chain wear to 1%, then there is no way I can run a new chain on the cassette without skipping. I'd estimate ~0.5% chain wear as being 'safe' for most riders but it could vary by more than I think.

A Brucey top tip; it isn't a bad idea to run a chain to about 0.25% wear, then remove it and put it to one side. This then becomes your 'backup chain'. The idea is that should you let a chain go a little bit too far (so that a new chain skips on the cassette) then you can use the backup chain on it and (probably, with a following wind) it won't skip. Better yet after a relatively short period of use with the backup chain, the sprockets may wear to a slightly better shape, such that a new chain might run OK on the cassette again.

BTW hydraulic brakes can work very well (almost seductively so) but they are not at all resistant to winter road salt; the groove that the piston seal sits in tends to corrode and the brake will then fail to a leak (see the 'anatomy of a failed hydro caliper' thread). Repair is sometimes possible but is normally uneconomic; the usual outcome is that a new brake is the chosen solution.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

What’s your thoughts Brucey?

Should I go for it?

I could keep my old mtb for my winter commute?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Looks decent and sounds a genuine reason for sale. You could also check on bike register sites to see if it is registered as stolen? Or check some local fb pages where stolen goods often get listed to see if anyone has reported it missing?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

My mountain bike was just this sort of Gumtree bargain: if it fits and it feels good (do take it for a test spin) it's not like Giant are in the habit of making rubbish. I think I'd be inclined to change the saddle and add a rack, but neither are exactly expensive or rocket science and may not be something you want/need anyway.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

pjclinch wrote:My mountain bike was just this sort of Gumtree bargain: if it fits and it feels good (do take it for a test spin) it's not like Giant are in the habit of making rubbish. I think I'd be inclined to change the saddle and add a rack, but neither are exactly expensive or rocket science and may not be something you want/need anyway.

Pete.

Seems he has replaced the saddle? Is it not a good one?

I don’t need a rack for my commute thankfully. It does have decent mudguards which is a good help
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Fraz101 wrote:What’s your thoughts Brucey?

Should I go for it?

I could keep my old mtb for my winter commute?

it could do the job nicely, provided you are not planning to ride too much offroad.

BTW choosing a new bike is rarely an entirely practical matter; it can be an emotive choice too, to a greater or lesser extent. Sometimes you find a bike that floats your boat and you find you are prepared to live with its shortcomings because you like it so much.

One thing is for sure, if you treasure a bike (for whatever reason) you are more likely to look after it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Fraz101 wrote:
pjclinch wrote:My mountain bike was just this sort of Gumtree bargain: if it fits and it feels good (do take it for a test spin) it's not like Giant are in the habit of making rubbish. I think I'd be inclined to change the saddle and add a rack, but neither are exactly expensive or rocket science and may not be something you want/need anyway.

Seems he has replaced the saddle? Is it not a good one?

Saddles are very personal things. From the look of it that one wouldn't suit me, but whether it suits you is something you'll only find out by sitting on it. If the position feels good but actual contact with your bottom is not good that's not a bike problem, that's a saddle problem, and it's easy to remedy.

Fraz101 wrote:I don’t need a rack for my commute thankfully. It does have decent mudguards which is a good help

And if you change your mind and want to carry more stuff in future it appears to have a braze-on for a rack mount on the seat stays, so easy to retrofit.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

I bought it

Massive difference to anything I’ve ever ridden. A few things I’ve noticed after a quick 8mile cycle.

It is extremely fast,however much harsher than my mtb.

The front derailleur is an absolute dream to shift

The seat has zero cushioning.

Going to take a lot of getting used to.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Well done. Enjoy :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom