Opinions on this bike please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pwa

Re: Opinions on this bike please

Post by pwa »

If the ride feels harsh, have a close look around the wheels to see if there is room for a slightly larger tyre, still leaving maybe 8mm between tyre and mudguard. The guards may be able to move out a bit further. If you are not sure, try to find someone who can look at it for you. Larger tyres can be run a little softer, giving a smoother ride.

The best tyres for a comfortable ride have thin construction. it could even be the case that you could get a better ride with tyres of the same width but better construction.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

pwa wrote:If the ride feels harsh, have a close look around the wheels to see if there is room for a slightly larger tyre, still leaving maybe 8mm between tyre and mudguard. The guards may be able to move out a bit further. If you are not sure, try to find someone who can look at it for you. Larger tyres can be run a little softer, giving a smoother ride.

The best tyres for a comfortable ride have thin construction. it could even be the case that you could get a better ride with tyres of the same width but better construction.

They are 700x32 upgrades from 28.Image
pwa

Post by pwa »

Those tyres have a reputation for being very puncture resistant. But they also have a reputation for not giving a smooth ride. There are tyres with thinner sidewalls and tread that are reasonably puncture resistant but also better able to absorb vibration from the road. It is a question of which attributes you value most.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You could try letting a little air out & running them near minimum pressure instead of maximum.

Personally, I would put some Continental Tour or Vittoria Randonneurs on there. And don't pump them up to the max recommended pressure.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

Vorpal wrote:You could try letting a little air out & running them near minimum pressure instead of maximum.

Personally, I would put some Continental Tour or Vittoria Randonneurs on there. And don't pump them up to the max recommended pressure.

What pressure would you run them at?

What is max and min pressures?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Fraz101 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:You could try letting a little air out & running them near minimum pressure instead of maximum.

What pressure would you run them at?

What is max and min pressures?

Max and min are indicated on the sidewall of the tyre.

Schwalbe have a little table that is intended to give you an idea of correct inflation pressure https://www.schwalbe.com/en-GB/luftdruck.html

Tyre pressure has been discussed a few times before. Here is one thread that links to some others. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118339
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

4 weeks into my new bike and I’m so impressed with it.

Really gotten used to how it rides.

It’s so light compared to anything I’ve ever ridden before,it rolls so smoothly,gear changes are lightning quick and accurate,brakes are really powerful.

I’ve even gotten used to the saddle!

I took the mudguards off as I won’t be using it in the wet.

Such a nice bike!