Looking for a set of pedals and shoes (newbie)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Fraz101

Looking for a set of pedals and shoes (newbie)

Post by Fraz101 »

Never had a set of clip on shoes and pedals before and have no clue what I should be using,it seems like there are an abundance of types and styles to choose from!

Anyway,as you all probably know I just bought this Image

It came with these pedals

However I’d like to fit a pair of clip on type with cleats... but have no clue what I should be using,don’t want to spend a lot so will probably look for 2nd hand pair to start me off with.

I will be using the bike for road cycling for fitness and fun.

Can you kind people offer me some recommendations...?

Thank you
TrevA

Re: Looking for a set of pedals and shoes (newbie)

Post by TrevA »

SPDs are easier to get along with. If you pair them with some MTB shoes, either race style or trainer style, the cleat is recessed into the sole of the shoe, which means you can walk easily in them. SPDs are also double sided ( they have a clip in mechanism on each side of the pedal), which makes clipping in easier. Wellgo and a few others do cheaper versions of SPDs but Shimano M520 pedals and cleats can be bought for around £20. If you near a Decathlon shop, they do a range of cheap, own brand MTB shoes. Aldi/Lidl used to do them but I've not seen them on sale recently.

Some examples of shoes:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/roadc-100-c ... 03016.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/100-mountai ... 86858.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/m065-spd-mo ... 24903.html
Last edited by TrevA on 14 Jun 2018, 5:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

I should add if possible I'd like to be able to still ride it with normal shoes on?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Fraz101 wrote:I should add if possible I'd like to be able to still ride it with normal shoes on?

You can get pedals which have the MTB clip in on one side and a normal serrated pedal (like your existing ones) on the other. Shimano M324 are like this, but there are cheaper alternatives from Wellgo and the like.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-co ... 4066957368
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

If you want to go down the road shoe route - cleat on base of shoe, hard to walk etc, then you can get a platform that clips into the pedal for when you want to use normal flat shoes. Main advantage of (most) road style cleats is added float if you get any knee issues. Look Keo or Shimano SPD-SL are similar prices at about £45 for pedals and cleats, plus shoes.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

As with most footwear, the individual fit is important. Feet are fairly complicated 3d shapes and there's much more to fit than "I'm a size 9" (or even "I'm a wide size 9"), so it's a good idea to try on a good range. If there isn't a shop nearby with a selection (and to be fair, not many places carry much of a selection) be prepared to order a few and send most back.

A less than perfect fit isn't quite the disaster it is for e.g. hillwalking, but a better fit is more comfortable and more efficient, and it's worth hunting a bit to get the right ones.

One thing which is notably more free-fitting than a lot else are SPuD sandals like Shimano SD65s. Because they don't have an upper to speak of, and what there is can be expanded and shrunk easily, they'll work with a great deal more feet than a typical shoe. I use SD65s despite finding Shimano's shoes so narrow I have to go up two sizes (and have them an inch too long) to fit in them. Not as comfy as my usual choice of Tevas for walking, but they've never been a problem on the bike.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

chris_suffolk wrote:If you want to go down the road shoe route - cleat on base of shoe, hard to walk etc, then you can get a platform that clips into the pedal for when you want to use normal flat shoes. Main advantage of (most) road style cleats is added float if you get any knee issues. Look Keo or Shimano SPD-SL are similar prices at about £45 for pedals and cleats, plus shoes.

I remember getting some cheap road shoes in TK Maxx when my son was getting in to track racing. Buying a set of cleats for them more than doubled the price! (but if you buy pedals you'll generally get a set of cleats with them).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

shimano MT shoes a size bigger with cleats then some single sided spd touring pedals gives you both sides of the coin.

shimano shoes are always tight but good quality, I like specialized shoes as well.

welgo SPD pedals are okay quality for what you will be doing with them and you can get them with clip on platforms for regular shoes.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

So just to clarify.....

Single sided pedals means you can only use shoes with cleats....?

Double sided pedals you can use regular trainers/shoes on the other side?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Fraz101 wrote:Can you kind people offer me some recommendations...?

Don't bother with clips unless you need to eke out every watt of peak power and are willing to accept all the compromises of funny shoes, falls while learning and possibly after and so on. Good grippy rubber blocks are far better.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Fraz101 wrote:So just to clarify.....

Single sided pedals means you can only use shoes with cleats....?

Double sided pedals you can use regular trainers/shoes on the other side?

Not necessarily. I would call a pedal single sided if it only has a single cleat fastening (others may differ in definition), and thus could be flat on the other side (or not in the case of a road pedal)

Double sided (I would say) has a cleat attachment on both sides,and thus needs the right show to use, unless recessed into its' own flat platform when a normal shoe could then be used - so not really black and white I'm afraid.

Not sure if that helps or just muddy's the waters more.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

mjr wrote:

Don't bother with clips unless you need to eke out every watt of peak power and are willing to accept all the compromises of funny shoes, falls while learning and possibly after and so on. Good grippy rubber blocks are far better.

Anyone else agree?

I’m not planning on doing 100mile road journeys

Should I stick with normal pedals and shoes?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Fraz101 wrote:
mjr wrote:

Anyone else agree?

It's a bit of a personal choice. Some people prefer flat pedals, some pedals with some sort of toestrap but I much prefer to have my feet clipped in (but I graduated from the old cycling shoes with a slotted cleat & toestraps - impossible to get your feet out without releasing the strap buckle if the straps were tight). I would recommend some reasonably stiff shoes, such as walking type trainers, if you decide not to go down the clip-in route.

I use mostly Shimano PD-M520 SPD pedals (my oldest pair are early 90s vintage & still going strong) but I did acquire a pair of PD-T400s (part of the Click'r range that are supposed to be easier to clip in & out of) which are OK with the bigger platform if you have normal shoes on (I've even ridden 10 miles on M520s in ordinary shoes with no real problem when I forgot to take my cycling shoes). You can get SPD shoes that look reasonably "normal", for example I've got a pair of Giro Rumble VR which work well both on the bike & off it
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Fraz101 wrote:
mjr wrote:

Anyone else agree?

So what are you intending to do?
I Prefer cleats for anything over 5 miles. If you get a shoes with a thickish sole, the cleat is recessedl. Why not ride for a bit get used to the bike, then decide if you need them. Shimano PD-A530 are good pedals as they have flats on one side and spd on the other. So you can ride in normal shoes. Shoes are very personal, so go try a few pairs. Shimano shoes are a good fit for me.
NUKe

Post by Fraz101 »

Plan on using it for fitness,leisure rides in good weather, maybe 15-20 mile treks