Bicycle cleaning companies

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
freiston

Re: Too expensive for a bike clean?

Post by freiston »

the_twin wrote:Place in Birmingham charges £25 for a deep clean polish and lube job. Yes, that is for your bicycle.

Not everyone has access to a place where they can give the bike a vigorous washing down. Can't see this being easy if living in a block of flats for example

There's an episode of the GCN Show where the notion of jet washing destroying bearings is tested. It proved very difficult in fact to get water to penetrate the seals and grease. Worth watching on YouTube.

I haven't seen that video but I had a mediocre bike some years ago that I used to clean hard with a hose connected to a mains tap with a nozzle on the end adjusted to a powerful jet. Maybe my preloading was too slack but my front wheel bearings (cones and loose bearings - nothing so fancy as a sealed unit) needed regreasing almost every wash! I'm sure that this experience was more anomalous than the norm and I've never had such issues before or since (I've never used a hose on a bike so vigorously before or since either) but the memory sticks with me and I'm always shy near bearings even with a hose attached to the tap. The grease I was using was some 'generic' stuff that I got from work at the time and wasn't the best - certainly wasn't waterproof.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
topshopper19

Bicycle cleaning companies

Post by topshopper19 »

Hello everyone,

Can anyone suggest some bicycle cleaning companies across UK? a website would also be useful too.

thanks
chris_suffolk

Re: Bicycle cleaning companies

Post by chris_suffolk »

Two posts in 3 months, both about bike cleaning companies. I smell Trolls!!
topshopper19

Post by topshopper19 »

thanks so much for answering my question :roll: :lol:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

chris_suffolk wrote:Two posts in 3 months, both about bike cleaning companies. I smell Trolls!!

Or business opportunity...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

chris_suffolk wrote:Two posts in 3 months, both about bike cleaning companies. I smell Trolls!!

Me too.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
gaz

Post by gaz »

chris_suffolk wrote:I smell Trolls!!

You've probably got some traces of troll stuck to your tyres. A DIY bike wash won't shift them, you should use a bicycle cleaning company :wink: .

topshopper19 wrote:Can anyone suggest some bicycle cleaning companies across UK? a website would also be useful too.

Google "Bicycle Wash Service", brings up a few results.

I wonder if the OP of this thread ever set up in business.