Anti-insect mouth protection?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PDQ Mobile

Re: Anti-insect mouth protection?

Post by PDQ Mobile »

crazydave789 wrote:purely for clarification.......

as a former medic the tracheotomy of legend is somewhat risky as there is a quite a bit you can do wrong, a cricothyrotomy though is far simpler and easier. tilt the head right back and feel for a diamond shaped dimple in the adams apple. that is where you make your hole roughly a centimetre deep into the cavity following the shape of the indentation. it also heals a lot quicker.

the biro or any small tube is used to keep the incision open.

Cheers Dave.
I knew there was a biro in there somewhere. (no pun intended)
My patients are all dead!! Or gassed! :shock:
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

eileithyia wrote:To stop insects... as we used to say in French; Ferme la grande bouche! :lol:

Or, to translate into good old Anglo-Saxon, “shut yor gob!” :lol: If only life were that simple. The problem is that I tend to have an issue with my nasal passages not being as clear as ideal, so when breathing hard they tend not to let the air in fast enough.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

above a certain latitude in the UK you get what we used to call thunderbugs, I'd completely forgotten about them having been down south for 20 years where its mossies that get you.

tiny black flying beetle type things that get in your hair and make you itch for days. we used to find them inside picture frames and wallpaper seams, in scarborough you saw thousands of them form shadows under the eaves of white painted hotels when the weather was due to change.

if ever there was a reason to shave your body hair this is it,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:purely for clarification.......

as a former medic the tracheotomy of legend is somewhat risky as there is a quite a bit you can do wrong, a cricothyrotomy though is far simpler and easier. tilt the head right back and feel for a diamond shaped dimple in the adams apple. that is where you make your hole roughly a centimetre deep into the cavity following the shape of the indentation. it also heals a lot quicker.

the biro or any small tube is used to keep the incision open.

Cheers Dave.
I knew there was a biro in there somewhere. (no pun intended)
My patients are all dead!! Or gassed! :shock:

of course if customs had confiscated your penknife you would have to use a tent peg :shock:
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

crazydave789 wrote:above a certain latitude in the UK you get what we used to call thunderbugs, I'd completely forgotten about them having been down south for 20 years where its mossies that get you.

tiny black flying beetle type things that get in your hair and make you itch for days. we used to find them inside picture frames and wallpaper seams, in scarborough you saw thousands of them form shadows under the eaves of white painted hotels when the weather was due to change.

Funny that you should mention these, because I was thinking yesterday of asking whether anyone had seen any recently. I hadn’t realised that they were common “up north”. Twenty years and more ago we used to get lots in the East Midlands certainly, especially in sultry weather. They were especially common near cornfields. I remember getting absolutely covered in them just walking a few yards from a friend’s house to the car outside (this was in the middle of wheat fields in Huntingdonshire, late 1970’s).
When I cycled in hot, still July and August weather in Leicestershire I would find the shower tray black with them afterwards. The worst place to get them was where nose joins cheek, or inaccesible under cycling helmet: exquisitely itchy! I considered the countryside near me “out of bounds” in the wrong weather at one time.
The fact that they can get under picture frame glass shows how tiny they are. Viewed magnified they have very hairy legs which may account for the itchiness. I wonder whether the trend towards endless wind had decreased their prevalence, or maybe agrichemicals.
I do still notice them sometimes, but on nothing like the scale of some years ago.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Thornyone wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:above a certain latitude in the UK you get what we used to call thunderbugs, I'd completely forgotten about them having been down south for 20 years where its mossies that get you.

Funny that you should mention these, because I was thinking yesterday of asking whether anyone had seen any recently. I hadn’t realised that they were common “up north”. Twenty years and more ago we used to get lots in the East Midlands certainly, especially in sultry weather. They were especially common near cornfields. I remember getting absolutely covered in them just walking a few yards from a friend’s house to the car outside (this was in the middle of wheat fields in Huntingdonshire, late 1970’s).
When I cycled in hot, still July and August weather in Leicestershire I would find the shower tray black with them afterwards. The worst place to get them was where nose joins cheek, or inaccesible under cycling helmet: exquisitely itchy! I considered the countryside near me “out of bounds” in the wrong weather at one time.
The fact that they can get under picture frame glass shows how tiny they are. Viewed magnified they have very hairy legs which may account for the itchiness. I wonder whether the trend towards endless wind had decreased their prevalence, or maybe agrichemicals.
I do still notice them sometimes, but on nothing like the scale of some years ago.

I was brought up in south-east Lincolnshire with plenty of arable fields all around and remember them very well - so many that you couldn't count them on your arm. I have been in the West Midlands for decades now and had almost forgotten about them as I rarely see them now.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)