Anti-insect mouth protection?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
horizon

Re: Anti-insect mouth protection?

Post by horizon »

Thornyone wrote:Yesterday I had a somewhat alarming experience.

Enjoy it while it lasts:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... on-decline
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
freiston

Post by freiston »

Many years ago when I was an errands boy of the "Open All Hours" type, a wasp flew into my mouth whilst I was on the delivery bike. I didn't know it was a wasp at first and used my tongue to push it out but it fought against my efforts, 'clawed' its way back in and stung me inside my cheek before flying out on its own volition.

When I got back to the shop, Mrs Grocer gave me a TCP mouthwash but my cheek swelled up massively and I couldn’t talk properly for a day.

Such dangers are something that plays on my mind to this day and though I haven't gone as far as seeking or wearing a mouth cover (almost mistyped that as "moth cover" lol), I do close my mouth if I see something airborne approaching.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

In Asia many people wear cloth face masks (nose and mouth). A cheap version of the sort of thing you would see a surgeon wearing.

They seem to be multi purpose - stop spreading germs, stop breathing in germs, etc. The former may work, the latter certainly doesn't.

Such a mask would certainly stop a flying thing getting into your mouth. Wearing one, you wouldn't look out of place in Bangkok or Tokyo, but you probably would in Cleethorpes.

I bought one for riding a very dusty dirt road in Cambodia, but ditched it after a few miles as it didn't work; was annoying to wear; and a bit hot.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

geocycle wrote:There were two, French bien sur, Les freres Petomane.

Only one of him, according to wiki Le Petomane

One of my brother's friends at school could do that - suck air in thought his backside, and therefore fart at will
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

andrew_s wrote:
geocycle wrote:There were two, French bien sur, Les freres Petomane.

Only one of him, according to wiki Le Petomane

One of my brother's friends at school could do that - suck air in thought his backside, and therefore fart at will

Oh yes, I was always told there were brothers. I guess it’s the sort of stunt where a twin might be helpful! Apologies to the OP as we have gone waaay off topic!
David9694

Post by David9694 »

foxyrider wrote: [I] was attacked by a wasp for no reason I could determine a few years back. Generally the bigger insects have enough speed and nous to avoid such impacts unless they intend to.

Bloody Audi driving wasps.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mini V got stung once cycling. We were on a family club run, and one of the other families had some cream to put on it. Which at least calmed Mini V a bit. I think she was 5 at the time and extremely upset by being stung. I think hers was on the lower lip, too. But it had gone down by the time we got to the cafe an hour and a bit later, and by the time she got some cake, you'd hardly know anything had happened.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Might be good to be stung once, could activate the immune system
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Grow a moustache and a beard!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Might be good to be stung once, could activate the immune system

Unfortunately it doesn’t work like that. Anaphylaxis or severe allegic reaction occurs when an individual has previously been exposed to the antigen, or allergy causing agent. So in the case of someone who suffers anaphylaxis after a bee sting, that only happens because they have previously been sensitised by being stung at some stage. I have been stung by bees and wasps a few times over the years.
The same thing can happen with drug reactions. I have had penicillin numerous times over more than 50 years but have developed an allergy to it and must no longer have it.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

rmurphy195 wrote:Grow a moustache and a beard!

Used to have both, but the moustache, to be effective and shield the lips, has to be of food-catching dimensions. (Though to be quite honest, the reason I shaved mine off twenty odd years ago was the appearance of a few white hairs and I’m still too vain to re-grow it now :lol: )
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

geocycle wrote:
Peter W wrote:Wasn't there a Music Hall entertainer during Victorian Times, who was famous (among the unspeakable lower classes, naturally) for the varied musical effects he could produce in almost continual and infinite variety - on a good night? One can't help wondering what facial, and bodily, contortions he was obliged to employ?

Perhaps he was a 'Penny Farthing' cyclist during which time he perfected his art, but it didn't end well I read. He was outed as a cheat for inserting a whistling device up his whatnot, for amplification. The mind boggles!!

There were two, French bien sur, Les freres Petomane.

There was a quite entertaining drama-documentary about him (or one of them) with the title role played by the great Leonard Rossiter (of Rigsby & Reggie Perrin fame)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Vorpal wrote:Mini V got stung once cycling. We were on a family club run, and one of the other families had some cream to put on it. Which at least calmed Mini V a bit. I think she was 5 at the time and extremely upset by being stung. I think hers was on the lower lip, too. But it had gone down by the time we got to the cafe an hour and a bit later, and by the time she got some cake, you'd hardly know anything had happened.

Cake and sweets, always a brilliant cure for cycling induced ailments I generally find... if either of those don't fix it then it is more serious :lol:

To stop insects... as we used to say in French; Ferme la grande bouche! :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

While the chances are slim the fact remains that a good hefty sting into the soft palate or throat is potentially fatal.
Cycling certainly increases the risk of being stung far back in the mouth.
Depending upon individual reaction the swelling causes the afflicted person to suffocate as the throat blocks.
A skilled medic can open the throat below the Adams Apple, it has been done with a biro!
Or a tube ( inprovise?) can be inserted down the throat.
Neither are very pleasant but then nor is suffocating.
Something to reduce the swelling reaction helps. Antihistamine spray maybe. Other possible remedies are "aired" higher up the thread.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:While the chances are slim the fact remains that a good hefty sting into the soft palate or throat is potentially fatal.
Cycling certainly increases the risk of being stung far back in the mouth.
Depending upon individual reaction the swelling causes the afflicted person to suffocate as the throat blocks.
A skilled medic can open the throat below the Adams Apple, it has been done with a biro!
Or a tube ( inprovise?) can be inserted down the throat.
Neither are very pleasant but then nor is suffocating.
Something to reduce the swelling reaction helps. Antihistamine spray maybe. Other possible remedies are "aired" higher up the thread.

purely for clarification.......

as a former medic the tracheotomy of legend is somewhat risky as there is a quite a bit you can do wrong, a cricothyrotomy though is far simpler and easier. tilt the head right back and feel for a diamond shaped dimple in the adams apple. that is where you make your hole roughly a centimetre deep into the cavity following the shape of the indentation. it also heals a lot quicker.

the biro or any small tube is used to keep the incision open.