Pirelli

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ratherbeintobago

Pirelli

Post by ratherbeintobago »

The new Pirelli tyres look interesting; apparently they’re made in France by a third party.

I assume Hutchinson rather than Michelin? Anyone know?
ANTONISH

Re: Pirelli

Post by ANTONISH »

They used to make very good tubulars.
I have no idea if there is any real association with the new marque - I'm not interested in going down the tubeless route.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

In the comments at the bottom of the linked article, they suggest that Hutchinson factories make the tyres but that the rubber compounds etc are specific to Pirelli.

Note that the tyre described is 'tubeless ready' so doesn't have a full inner-tube's worth of extra rubber inside it, and needs sealant to become airtight. It is also designed for a hook-bead rim, which means that it is much more like a standard tyre than (say) a full-fat UST tubeless one. They say that the tyre should work well with a tube and there is reason to believe this.

Not sure if the short aramid fibres will do much for the grip if they outcrop in the tread rubber....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RickH

Post by RickH »

My only experience of Pirelli tyres was on our old Volvo back in the late 80s/early 90s. Both rears quickly developed nasty bulges in the treads (started vibrating like they were badly out of balance) & had to be scrapped. I've never bought Pirelli since.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Can we count on the reissue of their calendars too. :oops:
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

My only experience of Pirelli tyres was on motorcycles in the 1980s and 90s. Phantoms and Dragons - superb!
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

RickH wrote:My only experience of Pirelli tyres was on our old Volvo back in the late 80s/early 90s. Both rears quickly developed nasty bulges in the treads (started vibrating like they were badly out of balance) & had to be scrapped. I've never bought Pirelli since.

That fills me full of joy, given the new (German) car has appeared with Cinturato P7s on it.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Can't say I agree: over the past 15 years I have run P7000 on two cars and PZero Rossos on the last one. All wore well and with superb grip (and gentle progressive breakaway). The P7000 were on a Saab 9000 with 200bhp through the front wheels and no traction control, quality tyres were essential in preventing the thing's natural urge to try to kill its driver.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Yes my data sample of one pair can't really be counted as conclusive.

The fact that it happened on both sides suggests it may have been more than a one off (dodgy batch?). Or I was sold unsuitable tyres for the back of a large RWD car (240 estate).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.