Does anyone know the best way to cross the Norwich Northern Distributor Road (NDR)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
John_S

Does anyone know the best way to cross the Norwich Northern Distributor Road (NDR)

Post by John_S »

Hi All,

Please accept my apologies in advance because this is not a very general question and it's very location specific.

I live south of Norwich and commute into the city daily but I've not recently headed out of Norwich north of the city since the new Norwich Northern Distributor Road (NDR) has been built. I've driven along the NDR and it's now a fast national speed limit two lane A road which features several large roundabouts which I don't particularly want to try and negotiate by bike.

Now this new northern bypass road has formed the subject of a previous topic on here and it wasn't terribly complimentary on the subject of built in cycling provision:-

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=118135

However further to the above topic I just wondered if many people have actually tried crossing the NDR in several places and have an opinion on the best place to do it?

When I tried searching for information on this topic I did find this website which was useful:-

https://www.norwichcyclingcampaign.org/cycling-the-ndr/

Over the weekend I'll be heading out of the city centre and traveling north in the direction of Cromer. If you use google maps it seems to suggest a route along St Faiths Road and then presumably, given that there's a line across the NDR, there's either an under or over pass over the NDR which brings you out on Quaker Lane. Now having read the web link above I think that this is the cycle path that's being referred to and having read about their journey I'm not totally convinced about the quality of this path.

I'm half tempted just to go straight down Buxton Road but I don't actually know if this gets to either a roundabout or a bridge over the NDR.

Thanks to anyone who has any ideas of thoughts!

Cheers,

John
paddler

Re: Does anyone know the best way to cross the Norwich Northern Distributor Road (NDR)

Post by paddler »

That's the route I take when cycling into Norwich from Aylsham. On the ring road they have changed the crossing so that bicycles seem to have their own lights to cross it. The NDR is crossed by a new bridge. Some of the route out has a cycle path. Once you get to Aylsham you could wriggle up to Cromer via Ingworth, Erpingham and Metton (unless you fancy the A140).

Dave
Bsteel

Re: Does anyone know the best way to cross the Norwich Northern Distributor Road (NDR)

Post by Bsteel »

I believe that the Marriotts way now has it's own bridge over the NDR, so a traffic free route from the centre of Norwich to the other side of the NDR.
Not sure if this is the same bridge paddler mentioned.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Just lift your bike over the barrier in the middle ;) http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/police-safe ... -1-5565083

As some of the comments there point out, the Cromer Road / Holt Road crossing is an almighty confusing and indirect mess. I think at least some of the reported cyclist-involved collisions have been on its roundabouts.

cycle.travel suggests using Buxton Road instead for Cromer via North Walsham, which crosses on a bridge without access to the new road below. I've not seen its current state but I suspect it may be a rat-run to Spixworth avoiding its NDR junction.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bsteel wrote:I believe that the Marriotts way now has it's own bridge over the NDR, so a traffic free route from the centre of Norwich to the other side of the NDR.

Sadly still unpaved from the city boundary near Hellesdon Hall Road to the NDR and outside the NDR.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

mjr wrote:
cycle.travel suggests using Buxton Road instead for Cromer via North Walsham, which crosses on a bridge without access to the new road below. I've not seen its current state but I suspect it may be a rat-run to Spixworth avoiding its NDR junction.

I was also going to suggest this route, from Old Catton, Spixworth (over the NDR), Frettenham, Buxton (North Walsham is a long way off track if going to Cromer) Aylsham, Metton to Cromer. If you eek out the minor roads from Aylsham to Cromer it's a glorious ride!
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Curiously the 'authorities' are now referring to the NDR as the Broadland Northway for some reason. :roll:
mjr

Post by mjr »

fastpedaller wrote:Curiously the 'authorities' are now referring to the NDR as the Broadland Northway for some reason. :roll:

Because consultation has started on the backwards plans to bulldoze the Wensum valley, ruin yet more lovely cycling lanes out of the city, and connect it to the southern bypass to make Norwich's third ring road, revealing the "distributor road" concept as a sham to get the next step approved.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Hi Dave, Bsteel, mjr & fastpeddler,

Many thanks for all of the advice/ tips and options for crossing the NDR which is much appreciated!

I think that on this occasion I might head up Buxton Road and going by paddler Dave & fastpedaller's messages this sounds alright to me.

Thanks again for all of your help although following mir's last message I'm now a bit depressed about the potential impending bull dozing of more countryside.

John
mjr

Post by mjr »

For therapy, please visit www.writeToThem.com, select your county councillor and explain what you'd prefer them to do. The more different names they hear from, the better!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

suggestion; a recce via google streetview might save on a bit of legwork?

It at least might show where there are bridges or not?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
paddler

Post by paddler »

If you did fancy a longer ride another time the Marriotts Way is a good one. Just get on behind Halfords and off you go. As MJR said, it's not paved after the ring road but it's easy cycling, possibly not with a road bike with narrow tyres though. You could go to Whitwell Station where there is a café, then ride back. Or carry on round The Themelthorpe Loop to Reepham Station where, guess what, there's another café! If you don't want the extra miles you can get on the road at Whitwell and go straight into Reepham. From there you have the option of going on to Aylsham, still on Marriotts Way, where The Bure Valley Railway has yet another café - and from there another good path to Wroxham, from where it would be a road ride back to Norwich. That particular path follows the railway, but for info, there is a good walk between Mayton Bridge and Coltishall which is right by the River Bure.

As an aside, I rode Marriotts Way from Aylsham to Whitwell a few days ago and there was only one slightly boggy bit -about ten metres or so - near Reepham. The rest was fine, obviously in the winter or during wet periods it gets the usual puddles that any unpaved path gets.

Dave
mjr

Post by mjr »

Brucey wrote:suggestion; a recce via google streetview might save on a bit of legwork?

It at least might show where there are bridges or not?

I guess the NDR is too new. OpenStreetMap probably shows where there are bridges but not how good they are.
paddler

Post by paddler »

Bsteel wrote:I believe that the Marriotts way now has it's own bridge over the NDR, so a traffic free route from the centre of Norwich to the other side of the NDR.
Not sure if this is the same bridge paddler mentioned.

Yep, it has a new bridge. The one I mentioned is over Buxton road.
Dave
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

paddler wrote:As an aside, I rode Marriotts Way from Aylsham to Whitwell a few days ago and there was only one slightly boggy bit -about ten metres or so - near Reepham. The rest was fine, obviously in the winter or during wet periods it gets the usual puddles that any unpaved path gets.

Do you have any idea of the condition of the Weavers way between Aylsham and North Walsham which is shown as allowing bikes ?

Apologies to the OP for drifting off topic.