Raleigh Record Ace early 80s - paint!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
David9694

Raleigh Record Ace early 80s - paint!

Post by David9694 »

My next planned resto’ is to wind back the clock on a 1990s Raleigh Veloce frame to an early 1980s RRA in Ice Green (it was later tweaked to Fern Green, but I can’t see a difference). This is the bike we were too poor to afford (cue: The 4 Yorkshireman and that passage of the New World Symphony.) I had a Clubman and never did get full 531 ‘til recent times.

I’m trying to match the RRA paint - a problem many restorers hit because bike production runs just arent big enough to have a record of what was used - if you can find a live example of your heart’s desire, paint can of course be mixed for you.

In some photos the RRAs look more of a gold or metallic beige, in most a light green. I guess a lot of sunshine may make difference over time. I’m now reduced to spotting cars I think might match.

If you see a car colour you like, a note of the model and year and a visit here will help you track it down. http://paintref.com/paintref/index.shtml If only there was similar for bikes!

I’ve already gone for Saab Pepper Green, but today I saw a 2001 Renault Megane which might be closer (turns out to be Vert Tilleul, since you ask.)

For both Record Ace and Clubman, there seems now no hope of those lovely gold ESGE mudguards - seems you can have any colour now so long as it’s black (or silver).
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
cricklewood_graeme

Re: Raleigh Record Ace early 80s - paint!

Post by cricklewood_graeme »

I had a Raleigh Record Ace purchased around 1984 brand new and I remember the thing that sold it to me was the lovely champagne / metallic beige colour. Roll forward 34 years and I guess colour is still subliminally affecting my tastes but I am much more interested in what the frame is made from.
The RRA got nicked somewhere in the late 80s and I eventually replaced it with a Raleigh Royal made from Reynolds 708 touristique tubing - £100 from a LOOT magazine listing and count myself very lucky to own it. I am not totally sure but I think this one was probably made here in England at their special products division. The original owner purchased it from Pearsons in 1996. Its frame number is G33149 - I don't know if anyone out there can confirm its provenance?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

cricklewood_graeme wrote: The original owner purchased it from Pearsons in 1996. Its frame number is G33149 - I don't know if anyone out there can confirm its provenance?

Some info' in this thread about Raleigh Randonneurs viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78018

Brucey's shown some date codes and there's a link to Raleigh catalogues with the Reynolds 708 framed

Royals in, not the 1996 one unfortunately, but shown in the '95 and '97 editions.
Nu-Fogey
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

metallic champagne sounds about right it was a light gold-green if memory serves.

go down to a spray shop and look at their colour charts. be warned though there are thousands to choose from.