Cycling Holidays UK

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
FirtreesinJune

Cycling Holidays UK

Post by FirtreesinJune »

Hello,

Could anyone personally recommend a great spot for a cycling holiday in the UK? Preferably as traffic-free as possible with good scenery. Coastal is a bonus! I am a novice, but my partner is an experienced cyclist- so trails/paths to suit mixed ability if poss. The internet is a minefield of information, and would rather go on personal recommendations...

Thanks in advance! :-)
hayers

Re: Cycling Holidays UK

Post by hayers »

Tarka trail in Devon - easy riding - lovely area.

Tissington and high peak trails - but not so coastal!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Dumfries and Galloway...coastal....hills and quiet roads if you stay off the A75 A76 A701
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Where's your starting point?
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

FirtreesinJune wrote:Hello,

Could anyone personally recommend a great spot for a cycling holiday in the UK? Preferably as traffic-free as possible with good scenery. Coastal is a bonus! I am a novice, but my partner is an experienced cyclist- so trails/paths to suit mixed ability if poss. The internet is a minefield of information, and would rather go on personal recommendations...

Thanks in advance! :-)

Road bikes? MTBs? Hybrids? How many days do you have? How far will you travel each day? Camping, B&B, pub, Youth Hostel or other? Hills or flat? Where do you want to start your trip? Are you limited to some particular areas?
FirtreesinJune

Post by FirtreesinJune »

Thanks everyone....:-)

@ Keyboardmonkey: Thanks for the delving- :)

I have a Hybrid Trek bike; my partner has both a mountain and road bike.

We have about 5-7 days

I've never ridden further than about 40 km in a day so far, but I think we'd probably aim for between 30-40km a day ...perhaps more/perhaps less depending on how tired/saddle-sore I get.... This is a holiday intended to enjoy the scenery, improve general fitness, but mainly just recreational/leisure.

I was hoping to book Air B&B in one location, if close to lots of cycle routes, so we don't have to carry all of our stuff from site to site. Open to other sensible/interesting suggestions.

I am happy with a mixture of hills and flat

I'd like to start the trip anywhere in the UK, but preferably the South/South-West or West of England...... Was hoping for some recommendations for Devon/Cornwall/Wales etc, if possible.

Thanks again, everyone! ..... further suggestions readily welcomed :-D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

New Forest; somewhere central will give some varied routes on forest trails, option to catch Lymington ferry to IOW spend a day there, potential to take in the Tennyson trail.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Paulatic wrote:Dumfries and Galloway...coastal....hills and quiet roads if you stay off the A75 A76 A701

+1 - yes I know not Devon Cornwall, but excellent area.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One, positive thread alert

Wales is good, there are a lot of railway cycle ways in the south
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
robing

Post by robing »

Yep Wales and the border areas of Shropshire and Herefordshire are great too and very quiet apart from the A49.
horizon

Post by horizon »

eileithyia wrote:New Forest; somewhere central will give some varied routes on forest trails, option to catch Lymington ferry to IOW spend a day there, potential to take in the Tennyson trail.

+1 or even longer on the IOW
-1 to Devon and Cornwall. I cycle camped south Cornwall last week - a wonderful three days but I wouldn't recommend it :mrgreen:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Coast to coast Whitehaven to Tynemouth is nice, mix of quiet roads and decent off road cycleways, 5 days is a comfortable time to do it in. Hilly. Or yes, Scotland somewhere. I'd recommend islands like Skye etc but can be a pain logistically getting to and from.

Newcastle to Edinburgh (so called coasts and castles route) is also quite nice. You can overnight on Lindesfarne on that one.

I went up the Suffolk and Norfolk coasts from Felixstowe to kings Lynn a few years ago too, that was nice. One River ferry in Suffolk was a lady and a rowing boat. She spent her down time reading a sun bleached Stephen king novel, and was the 5th generation of her family to run the service! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/magazine- ... -ferryboat
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is a thread on here about Skye, apparently it might not be so good, lots of traffic
There are plenty of lesser-known isles reached only (?) by boat
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

FirtreesinJune wrote:
I'd like to start the trip anywhere in the UK, but preferably the South/South-West or West of England...... Was hoping for some recommendations for Devon/Cornwall/Wales etc, if possible. :-D

The Devon Coast to Coast, between Plymouth and Ilfracombe, would be a good west country choice. Its around a hundred miles, mostly on traffic free trails or quiet roads, so doable in 2 days but a more relaxed three day ride.

There are train connections at Plymouth and Barnstaple, or you could cycle it both ways. That's what we did last year, returning to Plymouth via a different route.

There's a variety of accommodation along the route, including camping, hostels, and B&B's.