RideWithGPS to Garmin Connect

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
robing

Re: RideWithGPS to Garmin Connect

Post by robing »

cycleruk wrote:
robing wrote:Get a Wahoo :wink:

No :mrgreen:
Quite happy with my Garmin. :)
When I get chance I will try loading a GPX instead of TCX and see what happens.

I'm a recent Wahoo convert. Wahoo automatically syncs with RWGPS so your planned routes are all on the device :D
But I tend to use Komoot more now as I find it superior to RWGPS.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Aren't Garmin courses on one's Garmin Connect account supposed to automatically link/upload to RideWithGps?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

robing wrote:
cycleruk wrote:
robing wrote:Get a Wahoo :wink:

No :mrgreen:

I'm a recent Wahoo convert. Wahoo automatically syncs with RWGPS so your planned routes are all on the device :D

But don't you have to have a mobile phone to work it?
I will have a look at Komoot.
Can you plan Komoot routes on PC as per RWGPS ?
Cheers
You'll never know if you don't try it.
robing

Post by robing »

cycleruk wrote:
robing wrote:
cycleruk wrote:No :mrgreen:

But don't you have to have a mobile phone to work it?
I will have a look at Komoot.
Can you plan Komoot routes on PC as per RWGPS ?
Cheers

You don't have to have a mobile phone though it does make it easier. And if you want to navigate somewhere different mid ride then you do need your phone. And you need to use the phone app to set it up in the first place.

However, you can plot your route on Komoot on pc and then synch the wahoo via Wi Fi before your ride. Once the routes are loaded on to the device then you don't need your phone with you.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

As was already said, download the TCX file to your computer (in the "export" tab on RWGPS), then use "save as" straight to the Garmin or copy it across via the computer to the "/Garmin/NewFiles" folder on your Garmin.

The only real drawback is that it can only handle one file in the /NewFiles directory at a time; you need to switch your Garmin on so that it moves the file elsewhere (done automatically by the Garmin).
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Richard D wrote:As was already said, download the TCX file to your computer (in the "export" tab on RWGPS), then use "save as" straight to the Garmin or copy it across via the computer to the "/Garmin/NewFiles" folder on your Garmin.

The only real drawback is that it can only handle one file in the /NewFiles directory at a time; you need to switch your Garmin on so that it moves the file elsewhere (done automatically by the Garmin).

The question is how to get the route from RWGPS to Garmin Connect. Not actually into the Garmin.
I have Connect on the phone as a backup or a store for the route files. I can then bluetooth from phone to Garmin if required.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Richard D wrote:The only real drawback is that it can only handle one file in the /NewFiles directory at a time; you need to switch your Garmin on so that it moves the file elsewhere (done automatically by the Garmin).

A bit of pedantry that's not even related to the OP's question, but: I've routinely placed multiple files in the NewFiles folder and I don't recall it ever having been a problem.
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Save your RWGPS file (download to your computer) as either a GPX or TCX.

Open Garmin connect (Login etc). I am using the "modern" version.

On the LHS menu select Training to get the drop-down menu and access to 'Courses', click on this. You will then get a map and a list of Courses that are already in Connect.

Under this list you should see a 'Create a Course' button (blue) and under that you should see 'Import' (also in blue).

Click on the 'Import' then either drag and drop or browse to where you downloaded the files from RWGPS.

It is possible that the following link will take you straight to the courses page:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/courses
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

Just to add...

The above is based on using a computer, but it can be done on a phone using a web browser (I used Chrome on Android) and requesting the desktop (rather than the mobile) version of both RWGPS and Connect.

Or

If you are using Android at least...

Get the TCX on to your phone (if you are starting at the computer you can email it to yourself, WhatsApp web works too - or just plain old USB cable). You should then just be able to select the TCX file and (if Connect is associated with TCX files) it should start the process of importing into the Connect App. You will need to set the 'course type' from the list and it will import into your courses.

I also use the blue circle menu in the bottom right of the App screen to navigate through to Details > Course Name to rename the file, otherwise, it just comes up as something like Cycling Jul06 or something equally unhelpful.

If you are still struggling, or if I have misunderstood what you are trying to do let me know.