Riding no hands?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Thornyone

Riding no hands?

Post by Thornyone »

Riding no handed is not a trick I’ve ever attempted to master and certainly not one I would dream of attempting to master at my age. However, I see plenty of people do it, and I wonder how. I get the impression that I would instantly come to grief. What is the effect of hitting a pothole, a sewer cover or any one of a thousand things that often jar my bike when I ride over them? And is stiffness or ease of handlebar movement relevant?
Brucey

Re: Riding no hands?

Post by Brucey »

Thornyone wrote:…. is stiffness or ease of handlebar movement relevant?

you need to be able to make the bike steer by leaning it, so if the headset is binding in any way, it is a major problem.

Provided you aim to hit any small obstacles whilst exactly upright, the bike carries on going in a straight line, more or less.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

More that that, is the geometry of the frame.

Back in the old days, I had a couple of bikes that rode no hands easily and could do it mile after mile.

These days, I have a bike that is ok but difficult, and another one that's very difficult.
I can do it on both, but it's not easy and I can't do it for long.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Some bikes are a lot easier than others.
Fork angle and trail, things like that!
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Thornyone wrote:Riding no handed is not a trick I’ve ever attempted to master and certainly not one I would dream of attempting to master at my age. However, I see plenty of people do it, and I wonder how. I get the impression that I would instantly come to grief. What is the effect of hitting a pothole, a sewer cover or any one of a thousand things that often jar my bike when I ride over them? And is stiffness or ease of handlebar movement relevant?

its all to do with the inner ear and the counter steer response you learn naturally when you begin to ride. you need enough speed to stop the steering form going off track then you should be able to lean back for a few seconds at a time. you have to learn to wiggle your hips instead of your hands to maintain line and balance. once you can do that and steer a bit you can start to add pedalling.

I've never managed it with front panniers or a bar bag though I have seen it done
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Just for fun whilst riding swap hands so arms are crossed :mrgreen:

NO don't do that its flipping dangerous :!:

Some of my bikes are difficult no hands but at a certain speed I can control well, I now find that both of my trainer bikes have out of line wheels..........even my Raleigh Randonneur is out of line, I bought brand new and its never been crashed :?
I scrupulously check all frames now even if I am binning them.

Out on my old Koga today, it has ludicrously quick steering but leant forward hands off bars steers like a dream.

I reckon that many bikes on the road have out of line wheels and probably many are poorly made so it no surprise, there will always be Friday jobs.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Position on the bike is also important, at least for me.

If my saddle is tto far forward, I simply can't do it, and even with my saddle in the right place, I have to sit completely upright.

I can't do it on the tandem, though if it's only me on the tandem I can ride with just a couple of fingers of one hand on the bars.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

At lot of it is about confidence. If you don't stay relaxed and go straight into it, then it can be very hairy. If you go for it and stay calm, the bike is surprisingly good at tracking itself without the rider getting in the way. Totally agree it's best mastered as a child.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I have done this by using one hand to control the bike and just resting the other one on the bars so that there is no temptation to actually use it.

Someone who saw me doing this tried it without knowing the secret - fortunately only going very slowly before falling :oops:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I can do it on all my bikes, even when loaded for camping (I do tend to weigh balance the bags anyhow). I have done it for several miles on clubruns and often just do it for a bit just to keep my hand in. I can manage some fairly twisty turns and climbing using a fairly upright riding position.

It's quite simple to master, find a smooth straight lane and practice riding with less handlebar interface, one hand then reduce to a couple of fingers, one finger - none. But don't think about balance or steering - a sure fire way to end up in a pile!

Not done it for a while, but my party trick on club runs used to be to put my legs over the handlebars - a mean trick especially on fixed! I'm useless at wheelies and my bunny hops tend to long and low although I can clear a standard kerb - I have cleared a cattle grid before now although that needs a bit of speed. More than once, well it seems nearly every ride these days, bunny hopping potholes has literally been a life saver.

Let me just emphasise that you should always ride in a safe manner in full control of your machine in line with the guidance offered by the Highway Code :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Grandad wrote:

I have done this by using one hand to control the bike and just resting the other one on the bars so that there is no temptation to actually use it.

Someone who saw me doing this tried it without knowing the secret - fortunately only going very slowly before falling :oops:

Yes you work out very quickly to steer with one hand only..............after laughing at your mates near death swerve :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

also how heavy you are and thus centre of gravity from the ground?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Are you calling me chubby?
:wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I think it is one of those things you learn as a child or you don’t. It’s the road craft we learned when we were young and pratting around, I still do see how far I can get occasionally on quite roads. Never mastered the recumbent though.
NUKe

Post by Si »

I found that it was a matter of confidence......I can't ride no handed in a normal leaning forward position very well, but can when sat upright.....it was getting into the upright position where I couldn't have my hands next to the bars that took a bit of mental fortitude.