Getting the Garmin 820 Explorer to do turn by turn navigation

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
westerdaled

Getting the Garmin 820 Explorer to do turn by turn navigation

Post by westerdaled »

Hi

This is something so simple is proving to be very frustrating. Indeed every time I use the Garmin I am so tempted to drop it down the nearest drain! :oops:

Garmin Settings
- Followed the recommendations here https://ridewithgps.com/help/garmin-edge-820
- 3 maps enabled: INTL Standard Basemap NR, Garmin Cycle Map EU North East, 2018.10 , Garmin, DEM Map EU 2017.20
-

-I can create a simple test route from house on Strava and export as GPX. Note, I am not doing any further conversion to GPX Tracks via
https://www.gpsies.com/convert.do ]
-I connect the Garmin and copy the GPX into the NewFIle folder of the mapped drive
-On the garmin I open saved courses and select my test route and then click ready to navigate.

The Garmin then tells me it is ready to navigate but doesn't actually do anything :roll: . Apparently, I have not set a destination! The cue card on the map in Stava, clearly shows the direction of travel

Any advice is very welcome.
Psamathe

Re: Getting the Garmin 820 Explorer to do turn by turn navigation

Post by Psamathe »

I'm no expert (and use a Wahoo) but have you tried a .tcx? I used https://cycle.travel exporting as a TCX Course and it worked perfectly (on the Wahoo).

Ian
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

I usually export a .tcx file from RideWithGPS (free version), which when it works is great. But my Garmin Edge Touring seems to have acquired full consciousness and decides to mess me about no end. :twisted:
westerdaled

Post by westerdaled »

Thanks for your replies. Just so I understand your correctly, you are both converting GPXs posted on on various web sites and exports from Strava,to TCX. In which case I can do likewise with my turn by turn test route.

Out of interest have you the same maps enabled as me.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

IIRC it might be because you’ve installed the Cycling map.
I just had the standard Basemap installed on my 820 and it did turn by turn.
westerdaled

Post by westerdaled »

Hi

I have attached two screens from the navigation settings as I am not sure what mean by "installed the cycling map". I take it you just of the top one enabled.

Out of interest, have any of used the GPX format and still got the turn by turn navigation?
Attachments
IMG_20180622_212030.jpg
IMG_20180622_211811.jpg
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I gave up on turn by turn navigation because my Touring crashed so often. Just losing signal under trees would prompt "route navigation error - turning off".
Now I just have the route with off course notification. Problem solved.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

westerdaled wrote:Just so I understand your correctly, you are both converting GPXs posted on on various web sites and exports from Strava,to TCX. In which case I can do likewise with my turn by turn test route.

Out of interest have you the same maps enabled as me.

I create the route I want to ride on RideWithGPS.com (free version) and export as a .tcx file. I drag that to "new files" on the Garmin. I'm not sure what maps I'm using. I'm just using whatever is on the Garmin. It works well most of the time but the navigation element does not always prompt me correctly. I usually have back up map on my phone (which also doesn't work properly).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

westerdaled wrote:Thanks for your replies. Just so I understand your correctly, you are both converting GPXs posted on on various web sites and exports from Strava,to TCX. In which case I can do likewise with my turn by turn test route.

In my case I'm using an Wahoo Elemnt which is apparently very different from the Garmin things in that "it works".

I create the route using http://cycle.travel (which I found created the most cycle friendly routes) and download the TCX Course to my browser. From there procedures probably differ between Garmin and Wahoo but all I have to do is send the .tcx file to the Wahoo app and it appears on the bike's Elemnt computer and I select it and ride it with turn by turn directions, etc.

Ian
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

westerdaled wrote:Hi

I have attached two screens from the navigation settings as I am not sure what mean by "installed the cycling map". I take it you just of the top one enabled.

Out of interest, have any of used the GPX format and still got the turn by turn navigation?

The cycling map wasn’t on my screen in shot 2.
I used either RidewithGps if I was using someone else’s route or Strava/memory map to create my own and convert to gpx.
TBH the 820 is still a very hit and miss device and even using turn by turn was plagued with issues.
I’m one of the many who sold it and bought a Wahoo Bolt.
westerdaled

Post by westerdaled »

Hi

Thanks for your replies. Early today, I loaded the Cycle Live Nottingham:Friar Tuck 50 mile ride: https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=xitzlbxcpkxsdmpn on to my Garmin's NewFIle folder as a TCX . I actually parked a mile or so before the start.
I can confirm there was no turn by turn navigation . The Garmin tells you if you are off course and even helpfully tells you how many increments of 100 meters you are. Now, if you have set the orientation position to be North in then confusingly the route often points backwards, even if i am correctly following the route. To be honest, the route was marked out with direction arrows so the thankfully, I didn't need the Garmin.
If you use you car stat nav or the Waze App you will probably think the Garmin is a joke!
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

When the turn by turn works it is straight forward.
A pop on the screen says “Turn right in 150m onto blah blah road” etc.
My 800 was faultless so I expected the 820 to be better but it isn’t.The 1030 works too.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

My wife has an 820 Explore and it gives turn by turn navigation from a GPX file. We import the file to Garmin Connect, or create it in Connect, name it and then send it to the device via Bluetooth. On the device, click on Courses from the home screen, then Saved Courses, then click on the Course. The Garmin then loads the course, then you click on " Ride". It asks you if you want to navigate to the start of the course, click Yes, and it will start calculating the route, then it will show you a map of the route and will give you turn by turn navigation.

We don't use North up, but whatever the other setting is - Course Up?

I have an 810 and all of the above works for my device too, apart from the menus are slightly different to get to the Course.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
westerdaled

Post by westerdaled »

Hi

Interesting replies. Looks like from what you all are saying that it doesn't matter if I load GPX or TCX formats I should still be able to enjoy turn by turn navigation . Can you please confirm some of the settings below - mine are shown in italics and I am assuming at least one of these I have set incorrectly!

Map
-Map detail Most
-Guide text Always Display
Map information: INTL Standard Basemap, Garmin Cycle Map EU , North East 2018.1 , Garmin DEM Map EU 2017 ( all enabled)

Routing
Popularity Routing: Enabled
Routing Mode: Road
Lock on Road: Off
Calculation: Minimise Distance
Recalculation: Prompted

Navigation Prompts: Text Only
RickH

Post by RickH »

One slight gotcha is that if the route contains particular "hard" points (course points?) that the Garmin reads as points you have to pass then, if you miss a point, you will lose turn-by-turn navigation. You may get it back by passing through another "hard" point but I'm not sure.

An exsmple:-

I did the Wild Wales Challenge in 2017. The provided GPX was a bit coarse so I replotted the route by hand in bikehike. I noticed a couple of slight errors in my routing on closer inspection &, rather than undoing & redoing a lot of what I'd already done, used the drag edit facility by settting points where the route was right & then dragging the section in between to where I wanted it to go.

All seemed well & good, my Garmin (Edge 1000) gave me turn by turn instructions as I started, but then mysteriously stopped (but still left me my pink line to follow). Closer inspection afterwards showed in one of my edits I had dragged the route very slightly past a junction where I turned left. It was when I didn't go past the junction to the point marked (in error) but simply made the turning that I lost my turn-by-turn. So I never reached a point that the Garmin thought I had to go to!
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.