Getting the Garmin 820 Explorer to do turn by turn navigation

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TrevA

Re: Getting the Garmin 820 Explorer to do turn by turn navigation

Post by TrevA »

westerdaled wrote:Hi

Interesting replies. Looks like from what you all are saying that it doesn't matter if I load GPX or TCX formats I should still be able to enjoy turn by turn navigation . Can you please confirm some of the settings below - mine are shown in italics and I am assuming at least one of these I have set incorrectly!

Map
-Map detail Most
-Guide text Always Display
Map information: INTL Standard Basemap, Garmin Cycle Map EU , North East 2018.1 , Garmin DEM Map EU 2017 ( all enabled)

Routing
Popularity Routing: Enabled
Routing Mode: Road
Lock on Road: Off
Calculation: Minimise Distance
Recalculation: Prompted

Navigation Prompts: Text Only

Our settingss - 820 Explore

Map
Orientation - Track Up
Map Detail - Less
Guide text - Always Display
Map information - Select Map

Routing
Routing mode - Road Cycling
Lock on Road - Off
Calculation - Minimize distance
Recalculation - Automatic

Navigation prompt - Text only.

810 settings
Map
Orientation - Track Up
Guide text - Always Display
Map information - Select Map

Routing
Activity - Cycling
Calculation method - Minimize distance
Lock on road - No
Recalculation - Automatic
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
westerdaled

Post by westerdaled »

Thanks again.. :!:

Will compare with next ride. Last night I attempted to ride Padgate to Belmonthttps://westerdale.blog/15/06/2018/the-padgate-to-belmont-circuliar-ride/. Again, no turn by turn navigation ( just and empty space above the map :roll: ) . Note I haven't seen the recent replies so not reviewed my settings or performed any edits to the GPX I am using..

- The route is found by the Garmin so that would suggest there is some other issue as to why the navigation isn't switched on such as installed map or the software.
- The turn by turn is really useful as in the case of last night when I came to a mini roundabout and it simply told me I was off course no matter what exit I tried.. I wasn't until I tried all exits and finally realised that after the first exit I had to turn hard right, rather the right hand turn a bit further on.
- Cycled passed Locstock station and the useless Garmin promptly told me that no routable map found!!!

-Oh well ... one day the tech might work :)
RickH

Post by RickH »

I'm wondering if you have map files missing & whether that is the problem.

I have an Edge 1000 so different but it uses the same mapping. The last map update on the 1000 required an SD card as it is now too big to fit in the internal memory of the 1000 & the EU mapping seems to have been split into two "Garmin Cycle Map EU, South West 2018.10" & "Garmin Cycle Map EU, North East 2018.10". You seem to be missing the South West copy (how they've split the map I've no idea as I would have put the UK as North West!). I also have an extra map file "Garmin Geocode Map EU 2018.10" which is, I understand, all the address database, which may well affect the ability to do street navigation.

The 820 can't take a micro SD card, but does have twice the the memory compared to the 1000 so I'm not sure where that leaves things - looking at my 1000 I seem to have around 10GB of mapping data. If you have a lot of saved data there may well not be enough room to have fitted all the mapping files ,as well as any temporary files created while updating, when it updated recently. It might be worth deleting as much as possible - delete history (after making sure they are downloaded somewhere) & any IQ apps you've added. Alternatively a reset to factory default may help (again after making sure you've saved any user data) & then reinstalling the mapping (Garmin Express gives you that option).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bugsbunny

Post by Bugsbunny »

An alternative is to use the app called Komoot and have that run off your iPhone. (Not sure if it runs also on Android). Whilst not very battery efficient or very sexy, you could mount your iPhone and it will give you turn by turn navigation. I used Komoot for touring once in Japan and paired it to blue tooth head phones and stored the iPhone in the jersey pocket to save on battery life. This way you will hear the turn by turn prompts - and it works pretty well. I just stopped and pulled the phone out to double check now and then when the prompts got me confused (e.g a fraction too late to tell me to turn left at Smith Street etc).

Bugs
westerdaled

Post by westerdaled »

Hi

Thanks for all your replies and listening my tale of woe :(

I can report partial success. Spoke to Garmin support yesterday and went through the various issues I experienced last week.

They repeated the various suggestions raised on this forum

- Factory reset incl delete user data
- reinstall maps ( this takes around 30 mins)
- Convert your routes to TCX as these have a they will have a queue sheet for turns. Note you can do this via https://www.gpsies.com/convert.do?language=en

They also noted that my Garmin has had a few owners which made them suspicious.
Tested earlier this evening and initially kept recalculating as I cycled. Then it performed a longer recalculation ( took about 2 mins) thereafter , I started seeing turn by turn prompts : right,left turns and also road names ( Til now was as rare as England winning a game on penalties :D ) ... Do a full ride tomorrow and will report back
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

They repeated the various suggestions raised on this forum
- Factory reset incl delete user data
- reinstall maps

It should be noted that if you contacted Garmin Support reporting that your house was on fire they would suggest that you perform a factory reset and reinstall the maps! :roll:
I have a Garmin Edge Touring and turn by turn is sketchy at best (working some of the time but certainly not consistently)
RickH gives the best explanation that I have seen of what is going on:-
the route contains particular "hard" points (course points?) that the Garmin reads as points you have to pass then, if you miss a point, you will lose turn-by-turn navigation. You may get it back by passing through another "hard" point but I'm not sure.

but I am not sure how you go about checking a TCX file before a ride to ensure that it will guide you reliably.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I have an 810 and it is generally reliable regarding turn by turn navigation.
I have had a couple of anomalies but that could have been down to me.

I do my route planning on RidewithGPS although I have used Garmin Connect successfully as well.
I download from RidewithGPS using TCX files.
Before a ride I check that the selected route shows up on the map,

I have basemap turned Off.
I only use Openstreet maps on my 810 which includes the UK and Spain but that won't make any difference.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/dow ... 00810.html

I have "Lock on road" Off.
I have "Recalculation" Off. (mainly because that has been advised on this forum)

In Settings I have "Map display" - "Always Display" = Off and "Course Points" = On. (what that does I have no idea.)
"Virtual Partner" is On but again I don't know if it would make any difference if Off.
The 810 beeps some distance before the turn and again at the turn.
I don't use " Navigate to beginning of course" as I usually know where that is. (but I see no reason not to)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I have a Garmin Edge Touring Plus and have never had problems with it crashing.
I import .tcx or .gpx data into my New Files folder.
I will then disconnect and reconnect the Garmin unit.
The data will now appear in the Courses folder as a .fit file
(which provides turn-by-turn audible alarms).
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

I have a Garmin Edge Touring Plus and have never had problems with it crashing.

That must be what the plus in the name means - it works :D