!!!!! North Coast 500 . . . . . . by car !!!!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
eileithyia

Re: !!!!! North Coast 500 . . . . . . by car !!!!!

Post by eileithyia »

philsknees wrote:I'm glad I did most of it solo cycle camping a few years back & thoroughly enjoyed it (some of the early season wild weather apart - it snowed!) but now the word is that as a result of extensive signposting it's some losing appeal as it attracts increasing volumes of motorised traffic, even around the "shoulder" seasons. The empty roads disappearing into the distance are a thing of the past.
A friend with mobility issues had planned a trip round the route by car early this spring but found pre-booking any accommodation on (and even near) the route generally impossible due to the high demand, so has postponed his visit and is booking now for next year.
He did visit Ullapool however and tells me that he met a couple there who were doing the route by car this year after failing to secure accommodation for a trip they'd originally planned for 2017.
The moral seems to be book accommodation on the route well in advance, even off season.
Well worth the trip & I'd agree that off-route excursions are a must. Plenty of taster videos on Youtube - try Durness-Ullapool.

Was talking to some Scots lads earlier this year and this confirms what they said; it is almost impossible to find accommodation at short notice and needs booking well in advance.

I too am glad I did pretty much the route in 1980 before it became a 'route'
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells