Prescription cycling sunglasses with lenses

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bobbyg

Prescription cycling sunglasses with lenses

Post by bobbyg »

A few years ago I got prescription cycling glasses that came with 3 different interchangeable coloured lenses, yellow, light brown and dark brown.

Does anyone know of any similar on the market just now - the ones I can find only seem to come with one coloured lens, usually dark brown, but I also like the yellow lens for cycling later on the day.

These are the types of glasses that the prescription lens is like a small insert on the frame?

Any recommendations would be appreciated .
TrevA

Re: Prescription cycling sunglasses with lenses

Post by TrevA »

Not used these particular ones

http://www.i-sunglasses.com/birdz-feath ... gKl0PD_BwE

I used to have some Alpina ones with inserts and 3 lenses, but I eventually lost the nosepiece for them. I now have photochromatic prescription sunglasses from Optilabs, which go clear in low light levels and at night.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I used Rudy Project RX for years, and they were fine. The advantages of having an insert with interchangeable lenses is excellent

However as my health suffered, and I was cycling less and driving / walking more I invested in a pair of Oakley prescription glasses..... the difference is stunning

Better peripheral vision, better range of vision

I will still use the Rudy Project, but prefer the Oakleys
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Optilabs.
https://www.optilabs.com/product-catego ... unglasses/
Very very very pleased with mine.
Mick F. Cornwall
bobbyg

Post by bobbyg »

TrevA wrote:
I used to have some Alpina ones with inserts and 3 lenses, but I eventually lost the nosepiece for them. I now have photochromatic prescription sunglasses from Optilabs, which go clear in low light levels and at night.

It’s the Alpina ones that I have!

I am actually really liking the idea of getting the full size lenses sunglasses that have the automatic changing lens colour.
Clipper_2018

Post by Clipper_2018 »

How much would Sir like to pay?
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

Another Alpina user here and well pleased with them but would have liked a clear lens option as well as the three others.
bobbyg

Post by bobbyg »

Clipper_2018 wrote:How much would Sir like to pay?

Probably less than £200
Greenbuilder

Post by Greenbuilder »

I've used Puma ones from Specsavers for the last 4 years; clear, orange and dark lenses. Really good and about £90.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

bobbyg wrote:
Clipper_2018 wrote:How much would Sir like to pay?

Probably less than £200

Optilabs are around £150 to £170 for a pair of prescription sunglasses with photochromatic lenses. There are a number of designs to choose from. They occasionally have a £20 off special offer, usually in the Autumn. I'm on my second pair, as I had a pair before the
Alpinas.

https://www.optilabs.com

Looking at their website, they also do prescription insert sunglasses.

I'd really like some Oakley prescriptions but they are £400!
bobbyg

Post by bobbyg »

Cheers fpr feedback - wore my normal sunglasses in today and they give so much better vision, especially when looking over the shoulder, than the Alpine glasses with the small prescription inserts.

Looks like Optilbas are the favourites on here - do I just get my prescription details from my optician and go for it? Have never bought glasses of any sort online? Does one size fit all?
Bez

Post by Bez »

I bought some frames I liked (Endura Snapper II, FWIW) for about £35 and had them glazed by Ciliary Blue for (if I recall) about £160, with Transitions and mirror coating on Trivex lenses. You could go significantly cheaper with a non-mirror coating, the cheaper photochromic option and less fancy lens material.

I did have a couple of issues: initially one of the lenses didn't meet the frame properly, then that was fixed but some time afterwards the frame broke because the lenses were slightly oversized. They sorted it both times (though didn't offer to reimburse me for the broken frame; luckily I found some ex-display ones cheap). Overall I'm happy (the mirror looks good, and being able to ride through the dark and into bright sun without changing lenses is great), though obviously I'll be cheesed off if I get another fit-related problem.

It's worth considering if you're fussy about frames (I don't like any of the frames offered by the all-in-one places like Optilabs; YMMV). I suspect that if you choose more common and less radically curved frames you'll have less chance of lens fit problems (I've had no problem with any "normal" specs I've had glazed by CB). I don't find that "one size fits all" in the slightest, and there are very few frames which extend high enough for me to use them for road cycling, so I wouldn't buy glasses without trying them on first. But YMMV again.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

there are very few frames which extend high enough for me to use them for road cycling, so I wouldn't buy glasses without trying them on first.

+1. I ended up Rudy Project Ekynox after trying on many pairs. Unfortunately they seem to have been discontinued.

Most of the one size glasses were too wide for my head as well as sitting too low.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

if they are just for reading and a simple + prescription for both eyes then work specs do the job. around 15 quid, you can get stick on inserts for sunglasses at about £35 a set.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

bobbyg wrote:Cheers fpr feedback - wore my normal sunglasses in today and they give so much better vision, especially when looking over the shoulder, than the Alpine glasses with the small prescription inserts.

Looks like Optilbas are the favourites on here - do I just get my prescription details from my optician and go for it? Have never bought glasses of any sort online? Does one size fit all?

Pretty much, but you need your pupillary distance, which isn't on most prescriptions. Optilabs will send you up to 3 frames to try on before ordering, so you can see if they suit and fit you ok. Then you just enter your prescription details on the online order form and they'll make them up for you. They quote 2 week delivery, but I got my last pair about 4 days after ordering. After sales service is good too. I sent my first pair back due to distortion and they changed the lenses f.o.c.