Do I want a bike that doesn't exist?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Duffzilla

Do I want a bike that doesn't exist?

Post by Duffzilla »

Hello forum, here's the deal/

I'm looking for a light, tough, fairly fast, super reliable bike for my daily 30 min commute across Manchester.

I have two bikes at the moment, for a while I've had a specialized crosstrail hybrid that does the job ok, but it's bulky. I don't need the front sus, wide handlebars and gazillion gears as I hardly take it off road.

My newer bike is the opposite, I picked up a second hand, dead simple Charge Plug single speed, which does the job also, but I'm finding I do need a lower gear for Manchester slopes, and a higher gear for the flats to keep the speed up.

I know in theory, I could get something built from scratch but I don't have stacks of cash, probably about £700 budget.

Key points:

I love the bullhorn bars on the Charge and want to keep them, especially having the brake levers on the flat section (rather than on the horns).
Traditional road bike probably a no due to the drop bars - I don't find them comfortable and I don't need that many gears.
I'm after simple gearing i.e. less maintenance.
Brakes - not too fussed but discs useful in the winter rain.

I've looked at the 2018 Kona Paddy Wagon 3 speed (switching to bullhorn bars) but not sure about the internal hub? Am I looking for a bike that doesn't exist or being too picky?

Any thoughts and recommendations welcome!

Thanks
Greystoke

Re: Do I want a bike that doesn't exist?

Post by Greystoke »

Change the single speed for a Sturmey Archer AW3 hub
...sorted
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Greystoke wrote:Change the single speed for a Sturmey Archer AW3 hub
...sorted

You beat me to it......

I must get up earlier...... :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Yep, if you like the Plug, adapt it. You are nearly there.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I agree wholeheartedly.

There is also another way (if the interval between gears doesn't suit you or something) and that is to use a derailleur system. Amazingly you can still buy three-speed freewheels (eg see ebay) that use 1/8" chain and these will often fit onto a singlespeed wheel/bike, with minimal modifications. If you can adapt a gear hanger then you have another route to getting something more like what you want.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Duffzilla

Post by Duffzilla »

Thanks for the advice guys! Maybe the 3 speed hub is the right way to go.

Is it easy to fit the shifting mechanism? Not sure the Plug has the right fittings to hold the gear cable in place?
pwa

Post by pwa »

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/blb-cl ... rizon-blue

Just to illustrate that something very like what you want does exist, wrong bars I know.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Duffzilla wrote:Thanks for the advice guys! Maybe the 3 speed hub is the right way to go.

Is it easy to fit the shifting mechanism? Not sure the Plug has the right fittings to hold the gear cable in place?

SA do various shifters (including a shifter that mounts to the seat post if you want a clean look), and there is a choice of methods at the hub end including

a) a thing called a 'fulcrum clip' that mounts the cable housing to the chainstay or the seat stay (available in different sizes)
or

b) (simpler but less elegant perhaps) a bracket that mounts to the axle

it is none of it difficult to do. Note also that you need no-turn washers (NTWs) (aka anti rotation washers) that have a tab width that matches your dropout slot width, so that the reaction torque does not spin the axle in the frame.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

Your least expensive option would be to fit a freewheel with a couple more teeth and to add a link to the chain to accommodate. This would allow you to climb hills more easily in the single gear and to coast when you reach higher speeds.

This is a job that's possible at home with simple in expensive tools, and it would be simple to achieve on a bike with rear facing dropouts. You'd need a rear brake if the Charge isn't currently fitted with one.

You'd end up with a single speed (SS), with the benefits of a relatively lightweight, low-drag drive train, requiring no maintenance except occasional chain oil. I rode SS for a 10 mile from Lancashire to South Manchester for about a year and it was my favourite set up, more satisfying than derailleur, more enjoyable on the descents than the SA 3 speed I briefly tried.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Duffzilla wrote:Thanks for the advice guys! Maybe the 3 speed hub is the right way to go.

Everything that you need to get you started......https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700c-28-STUR ... SwFyhaAmF9

I don't like the actual shifter much but that's easily replaced.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

pwa wrote:https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/blb-classic-commuter-3spd-bike-horizon-blue
Just to illustrate that something very like what you want does exist, wrong bars I know.

Also trouble fitting mudguards. :roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
pashda

Post by pashda »

I have the bike you are describing I think
Charge plug 3 speed using the Sturmey archer hub gears I got it from Wiggle who had it made as a special just for them.
I used to commute a hilly 15 miles on it and the 3 speed meant I could get up the hill but still spin at 20mph on the flat.
they dont sell them now. I could sell you mine as it doesnt get used anymore. :)
pwa

Post by pwa »

cycleruk wrote:
pwa wrote:https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/blb-classic-commuter-3spd-bike-horizon-blue

Also trouble fitting mudguards. :roll:

Yes, I noticed that too. But I was thinking more of sourcing the rear wheel / gears etc and putting them on the OP's existing frame.
Duffzilla

Post by Duffzilla »

Some great options here, will check out those hubs.

Contemplating selling both bikes and just putting the cash towards a new single speed with a flip flop hub (Plug is pretty tired to be fair), budget around £600.

Any suggestions? I don't need any hipster silly colours, just quality build.
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

I considered flip flop but decided I would only use one of the sides. The idea of flip flop is nice, but I can't see myself actually taking the wheel off mid ride and getting my hands mucky for the sake of a couple of sprocket teeth. If it had a freewheel that could get me up the steepest hill on my commute, that would be the side I'd use, and I'd keep the wheel that way round all the time.

And so the wheel you have should be good enough, if you just want to run a SS freewheel. You already know you enjoy riding the Plug, which probably means the frame is a good fit for you. That's an argument for sticking with it.