Waterproof cover for bike on hatchback rack

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
CyberKnight

Re: Waterproof cover for bike on hatchback rack

Post by CyberKnight »

Mick F wrote:One thing I have to say, and I'm on here saying it before, is that there's no way I would put my pride and joy on the back of a car.
Two reasons.

One, the back of every hatchback car we've ever had, has got filthy at the back due to turbulence picking up the grit. Combine that with rain, and it's horrible after going up the motorway.

Two, and this is the most important - and I've resisted saying this so far on this thread - your pride and joy will take the brunt of any rear-end shunt you may have.
This happened to me with my precious Mercian on the back. Going at less than 20mph in traffic and someone stepped out into the road so I stopped quickly. The car behind didn't stop quickly enough and hit the rear rack.
Luckily, it was a two-bike rack and Mercian was on the front part and the rear part unoccupied. The rack was bent, the number plate cracked, and one light was damaged. Mercian was fine .................... but may not have been.

Never ever would I put a bike on the back of a car again.

Can i just add that the rack we have lets the bikes rub together or at least strap rub have taken decals off the frame off Mrs CK bike, maybe its because we have a "cheap " rack .
If i was going anywhere with a decent bike then i would prefer to have it in the boot or on a roof mounted rack.
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

CyberKnight wrote:If i was going anywhere with a decent bike then i would prefer to have it in the boot or on a roof mounted rack.
Absolutely.
+1
Mick F. Cornwall
softlips

Post by softlips »

The wind will rip the cover to bits. I’ve tried several on the back of the campervan. The manuafactuers tell me they only work if no part of the bike is in wind flow - as when mounted to the rear of motor homes. On my camper the bike sits slightly proud of the roof, even with the seat off, the wind rips the covers to bits.