Come in B17 your time is up?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

Re: Come in B17 your time is up?

Post by mercalia »

whoof wrote:
mercalia wrote:
531colin wrote:
That's exactly what I do with mine...…..lace the bottom so the bottom edges curl in and can't rub, but lace loosely enough so that the top "gives" a bit.
All except one saddle which I would guess is 30 years old or thereabouts....its good thick stiff leather, 30 years of riding and it still just gives "a bit" and the sides don't splay out.....never tensioned it or anything. I don't think the leather is the same now.

how many laces? and where abouts?

One hole about 1 cm from the saddle edge, drilled with a wood drill either side at the zenith of the splaying. Then tied underneath with a boot lace.

am trying that at the moment though 2 holes following how SPa does theirs
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003C82Y2O/ref=asc_df_B003C82Y2O53850396/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22122&creativeASIN=B003C82Y2O&linkCode=df0&hvadid=222086461140&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5150390967394371371&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007413&hvtargid=pla-421299743189

I have one of these for putting holes in belts and the like. Mine is a very cheap tool, £5 or something like that, and makes a perfect neat hole. Why would anyone take a drill to a saddle when there is a proper tool for it?

becuase a hole a hole and a drill is what you have got
pwa

Post by pwa »

mercalia wrote:
pwa wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003C82Y2O/ref=asc_df_B003C82Y2O53850396/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22122&creativeASIN=B003C82Y2O&linkCode=df0&hvadid=222086461140&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5150390967394371371&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007413&hvtargid=pla-421299743189

I have one of these for putting holes in belts and the like. Mine is a very cheap tool, £5 or something like that, and makes a perfect neat hole. Why would anyone take a drill to a saddle when there is a proper tool for it?

becuase a hole a hole and a drill is what you have got

Yes, there are times when you know there is a proper tool but you make do with what is in the shed. I do that all the time. But for anyone who thinks they might be putting holes in leather in the future, have a look for a leather punch when you are in a hardware shop looking for something else. The holes they make are crisp and neat, and they are made the same way a leather worker would make them.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

On the original topic, I can't say too much about the Brooks - did buy one once but never dared use it so sold it on unused.

But mercalia's question/OP is a bit broader so to address that.

I don't think you have to pay a lot for a good saddle/a saddle that works for you.

And I think plastic is absolutely fine.

One of the best saddles I have used was a Look-In gel saddle.

From Selle Royal I think.

No slot but instead a slot in the middle of the saddle is filled with gel which makes that bit softer.

But I stress that there are no holes or sharp edges in it. I did read somewhere that these ever more fanciful slot designs can actually make matters worse, depending on the person siting on it of course, as they provide more edges to "cut" into your bits.

I cannot but suspect gimmickry in some of these designs.

My near perfect saddle is of course discontinued, as St John St were selling them at one time for £15.

Mercalia, I'd pop over to Decathlon and have a look at their gel saddles.

Not as nice looking as my Look-In perhaps, but a fair few of their gel range seem to use a similar principle - a central section which is softer. But no holes/slots whatever. Not expensive either.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

One thing I read about the Italian Selle saddles is they they are really made for smallish light people - that I aint. And looking at them seems to confirm that? I'll go have a look at Decathlon and see what they have. Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Decathlon have a range of types.

The new Surrey Quays store is very nice.

You can take your bike in, as with the last store. :)

Still no proper bike parking at the front though, so it's the railings! :(

There's a lift to get to the upper floor.
Sweep
531colin

Post by 531colin »

mercalia wrote:........... how many laces? and where abouts?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52358536@N06/42421042725/in/dateposted-public/
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I tried the SPA saddle method which uses 2 holes on either side and found it had to get a good effct so tried the single hole with lace underneath as woof and 531Colin suggest. seems a better soln ( shame about the extra 2 holes I made but thats life ) will have to wait until tomorrow to see it is makes a differeence now. I am wondering if its the hot weather thats the trouble
rjb

Post by rjb »

Trike rider Chris has done this, if you know how to search his blogs there are a lot of stories about leather saddles, brooks and spa's. :wink:
https://pedal-trikes.blogspot.com/2013/ ... addle.html

here's some more - using the search box i spied top left. :oops:

https://pedal-trikes.blogspot.com/search?q=brooks

If you manage to plough through them all a good tip is to try a zip tie, easily adjusted and replacable if you get it too tight. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

rjb wrote:Trike rider Chris has done this, if you know how to search his blogs there are a lot of stories about leather saddles, brooks and spa's. :wink:
https://pedal-trikes.blogspot.com/2013/ ... addle.html

here's some more - using the search box i spied top left. :oops:

https://pedal-trikes.blogspot.com/search?q=brooks

If you manage to plough through them all a good tip is to try a zip tie, easily adjusted and replacable if you get it too tight. :wink:

I was thinking of alternate straps like zip ties. but thought night not be flexible enough and stick out and also some have sharp edges and might cut into the leather.

I originally did it that way and it is certainly neater than having the lace outiside and under and the way 531Colin and woof has done it would seem to stress the holes less and makle it easier to pull the sides together

Maybe this thread should be archived or bits of it now has useful references?