CYCLING CROUPS/CLUBS

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Malky 1422

CYCLING CROUPS/CLUBS

Post by Malky 1422 »

I Will be moving to Winsford Cheshire soon, so looking for a group to ride with . I am retired just 65 yrs old, I want touring/day ride/audax. I do not want racing. Thers isnt a lot in some areas like this, it seems there is a big hole and its tootle round for 20 mls on Saturday or Sunday only, or racing clubs. It seems proper CTC DAs are gone now and there doesnt seem to be a lot of actual Cycling UK groups that I know will cater for my needs. Where are the groups that meet on Sunday for a full day ride at moderate pace and through the week for those retired etc? It seems only Two Mills fits the bill but they will be a little too far away for me. Even Chester CTC only rides once a fortnight now. We are supposed to be keen cyclists. Someone tell me where its all happening near to Winsford and I will join, or I would be interested in helping/forming a new local group to satisfy the above.
I put a message on here for the Hartford Cats and was given an email address, I have written twice and got no reply. I have clicked on Nantwich Cyling group and there is nothing, just like many others on the find a group map.I support all forms of cycling , there are different needs, but CTC began as a Cyle Touring Club, and it seems very strange to me now that I cant find a suitable local CTC or Cycling UK group to enjoy my free time with.
Any help advice etc. will be welcomed.
Last edited by Malky 1422 on 11 Jul 2018, 8:57am, edited 1 time in total.
eileithyia

Re: CYCLING CROUPS/CLUBS

Post by eileithyia »

Take a look at South Manchester weds group, we meet up for lunch with riders riding out to the venue solo or with a couple of friends.. meet up with others for a chin wag, maybe ride back with 1-2 others we meet who are going the same way or ride back solo.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
gaz

Re: CYCLING GROUPS/CLUBS

Post by gaz »

Malky 1422 wrote:I have clicked on Nantwich Cyling group and there is nothing, just like many others on that find a group map.

I don't doubt your experience of the map.

Cycling UK Member Groups and Affiliated Groups get given a page(s) on the Cycling UK website. Cycling UK puts the most basic information into the template, the name of the group and it's location (usually that of a nominated officer). It then leaves it up to the group to add further detail themselves.

A few groups use the pages, some include nothing more than a redirect to their own website/facebook page, many don't use it at all.
Malky 1422

Post by Malky 1422 »

I ride with South Manchester anyway when I come up for a visit from the Isle of Wight. I was with them from 1994 to 2013 when I moved to the Island. I payed Robert Reader a visit at his home only yesterday. I will ride with them ocasionally anyway, but it wont be regular its around an hours drive to Cheadle. As for the CTC map, I know it has nothing to do with CTC but these member groups seem to become affiliated then many dont use that facility, so there is no way of getting in touch, unless google comes up with something.Thanks for your replies it is appreciated.Malc.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Chester and North Wales CTC website is here and lists many of the groups that ride out on different days. And the "external links" list several other groups incuding Cycling UK Merseyside.

I don't personally know of any groups nearer to Winsford but I can ask at the weekend (in my role as an honarary Chester Fab Lady - piloting tandem for my sight impaired friend with them :D ).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

eileithyia wrote:Take a look at South Manchester weds group, we meet up for lunch with riders riding out to the venue solo or with a couple of friends.. meet up with others for a chin wag, maybe ride back with 1-2 others we meet who are going the same way or ride back solo.

+1,nice friendly group :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Malky 1422

Post by Malky 1422 »

RickH wrote:Chester and North Wales CTC website is here and lists many of the groups that ride out on different days. And the "external links" list several other groups incuding Cycling UK Merseyside.

I don't personally know of any groups nearer to Winsford but I can ask at the weekend (in my role as an honarary Chester Fab Lady - piloting tandem for my sight impaired friend with them :D ).

This would be appreciated. I have studied all the groups and would have to use the car to get to the meeting places of clubs further afield.I have thought about Crewe Clarion, but they are racing and I am not sure if I would fit in now, 35 years ago I would have gladly joined them.