Moulton tsr 8

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
khakibrain1

Re: Moulton tsr 8

Post by khakibrain1 »

You have PM
Mud-Plugger

Post by Mud-Plugger »

(I'm new :-) )

I had a TSR 8 seperable about five years ago. It was a nice frame but the rest of it was about the same quality as the cheaper Dahon 20" folding bikes. Wheel rims were bad with rough joints. (Things may have changed on the recent models.)

Suspension was useful, but the bike wasn't as much fun to ride as the price might warrant. On the upside it kept its value and sold for what I paid for it.

I went back to alloy frame folding Dahons (step-through frame) with the slight advantage that they are easier to transport in the back of the car and store.

Didn't notice the lack of suspension on the Dahons, they can be fitted with fatter tyres like the Schwalbe Big Apple, or tougher Schwalbe Marathons for towpaths etc.
random37

Post by random37 »

Don't laugh, but have you tried a Raleigh Twenty? They are quite nice for canal towpaths and cycle paths. They ride like an old 3 speed, which is fair enough.

Fit some Kool Stop Continental pads to it, and the braking is not so bad. I prefer the rigid ones; you can undo the seatpin and stem and collapse it into a more manageable shape than a folded Twenty.

Hardly a Moulton, but then not Moulton price either. Give it a go, it might suit you very well.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I guess the Moulton comees under the heading of "A little bit of what you fancy" - so if you fancy it, try it to see if you can get on it as easily as you think and if so, buy it. Simples!

For suspension and folding, the Birdy might be worth looking at. Saw one on the Tissington trail a while back, the rider (an reborn old cyclist like me) was thopuroughly enjoying himself.

For smaller wheels, and perhaps a more compact fold, try one of the Bromptons. I use one regularly on towpaths and railway tracks.

Whichever you go for, have some nice low gears, preferably lots of them. And put some modguards on. And a rack, with a rack-top bag to hold your flask, sarnies and fruit snacks and waterproofs (and security lock, spare tube and tools)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !