Lowering the bar

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ubert767

Lowering the bar

Post by ubert767 »

My wife rides a sturdy Thorn Raven Nomad and is occasionally having difficulty dismounting during loaded touring due to fatigue and height of the top tube, our tours are mainly on good surfaces with occasional tracks. She is very fond of the bike, its stability and also the Rohloff so is reluctant to change. As a remedy, she is considering having the top tube/seat tube junction lowered into something akin to a step-through frame by someone, say Bob Jackson.
What would be the maximum practical reduction in the height of the junction, is the reduction suggested by the yellow line realistic? I realise that she may loose the use of one of the bottle cage mounts.

Any comments and advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Rob
Attachments
IMG_0242 21.54.06.jpg
gaz

Re: Lowering the bar

Post by gaz »

I suspect (if the modification can be done at all) it is going to require a new head tube and top tube.

Traditional mixte frames would have a lower top tube than you are proposing: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122906&p=1244830#p1244830
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The best option would be to replace the frame. It's the frame that's wrong - nothing else.

Buy a suitable frame, then transfer all the components over, then sell the old frame.
Mick F. Cornwall
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

My wife had exactly this issue with her Thorn xtc, I purchased a step through frame from Thorn.
I moved all components to the new frame and sold the xtc frame.
I am not sure if Thorns do a step through to accommodate a Roholff hub or one with couplings,give them a call.
The current frame should be easy to sell with its couplings.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Agree with MickF, its the frame that's the biggest issue. It appears to have an overly high BB so something with a more appropriate geometry would help.

If it's any consolation your wife isn't the only one to have such issues - one reason I like my Airnimal for touring is the open frame.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pwa

Post by pwa »

New frame. Even if it is possible, any modification to the frame will necessitate repainting and the whole thing will take you a good part of the way towards the cost of a new frame. And those frames are welded, not brazed, so taking a tube out is going to be messy. Why not see what Thorn have to offer?https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/390s-thorn-raven-tour-st-step-through-frame-twin-plate-fork-traditional-british-racing-green-with-discrete-decals/
Geoffroid

Post by Geoffroid »

There is not a lot of seatpost showing, but you could try a dropper post.
scottg

Post by scottg »

The S&S couplers make lowering the tube even more complicated,
and expensive, you may need need a new coupler.

Sell the frame.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
PH

Post by PH »

foxyrider wrote:
If it's any consolation your wife isn't the only one to have such issues - one reason I like my Airnimal for touring is the open frame.

+1 for an Airnimal, the Joey easily takes a Rohloff and the fold does away with the need for the couplers. Wide tyres make it comfortable enough for me, though it isn’t the fastest (Neither was my Raven)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just replace the frame... get one with similar geometry, but a lower top tube.

Any modification is going to really mess with the structure
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

No need for an expensive frame swap, she just needs to slip on a pair of these as she comes to a halt:
-High-Heel-Black-PU-Lolita-Pumps-21281-5.jpg

(Sorry) :D
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

Just to complete the picture....................

Back in July of this year I asked the forum for its opinion on a frame modification to my wife's Thorn Nomad to reduce the height of the top tube. Several responses were offered, for which I was grateful, and the consensus was that it was best to replace the frame rather than modify. I did some searching around but couldn't find a satisfactory replacement Rohloff frame so decided to go ahead with my original plan.
Just received it back from Bob Jacksons and built it up today. I'm really pleased with the results, they did a lovely job using the original head tube and SS coupling.

Modified.JPG

Rob
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent news! :D
Great colour too.

Well done!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

ubert767 wrote:Just to complete the picture....................

Back in July of this year I asked the forum for its opinion on a frame modification to my wife's Thorn Nomad to reduce the height of the top tube. Several responses were offered, for which I was grateful, and the consensus was that it was best to replace the frame rather than modify. I did some searching around but couldn't find a satisfactory replacement Rohloff frame so decided to go ahead with my original plan.
Just received it back from Bob Jacksons and built it up today. I'm really pleased with the results, they did a lovely job using the original head tube and SS coupling.

Modified.JPG

Rob

Would you like to share with us what it cost?

Mike
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

Mike_Ayling wrote:
ubert767 wrote:Just to complete the picture....................

Modified.JPG

Rob

Would you like to share with us what it cost?

Mike

Don't mind if I do, the total cost was £420 which includes dent removal, respray and collection & delivery.

Rob