NCN6 weirdness

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jazzkitten

Re: NCN6 weirdness

Post by jazzkitten »

Thanks Tigerbiten!
Tigerbiten wrote:Using Google Map to look at the A618 in street view, there is a shared path on the left as you exit Pithouse Lane.
This then swaps to the right hand side of the main road until the garage.
Actually there is a shared path all the way up Pithouse lane, but it doesn't look that wide/obvious.

Luck ........ :D

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my P01MA using hovercraft full of eels.
jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

Does anyone know what makes a path a shared path? I can see what I'd call pavement either side of the A618. Is there a rule or anything denoting whether cyclists can use this path? I've always avoided riding my bike on the pavement, pavements are for pedestrians and all that!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Where Pithouse lane joins the A618 you’ll see a round blue sign with a bicycle on top of a pedestrian. This denotes shared use.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

Thank you Paulatic! I'm learning every day. Is there a website or other resource that has information about rules and regs of cycling?
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Cycle routes are marked by green dots on OS maps. If they are hollow then they mark an off road section. Alongside a road this is normally a shared path.

Cycling along look for small blue signs with bikes on them.
Normally a shared path may have small circular blue bike signs somewhere along it.
There also may be blue fingerboards at junctions with destinations/distances.
As the quality of the shared path increase then you may get bikes painted on the path.
Real high quality paths may be divided by a line or two different tarmacs.

But out of town most pavement are/can be fair game as you'll not normally meet anyone on one.
Last edited by Tigerbiten on 15 Jul 2018, 7:56pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

jazzkitten wrote:Thank you Paulatic! I'm learning every day. Is there a website or other resource that has information about rules and regs of cycling?

Yes, right here :wink:
Over a million posts, several former constables are Senior Members
Try browsing and searching..
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

jazzkitten wrote:Thank you Paulatic! I'm learning every day. Is there a website or other resource that has information about rules and regs of cycling?

The Highway Code is your starting point - it's not exhaustive but gives a basic grounding.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

Thank you folks! Great to meet you all and ill be posting again very soon....[emoji605][emoji468][emoji467]
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

foxyrider wrote:

The Highway Code is your starting point - it's not exhaustive but gives a basic grounding.

True, the tricky thing is that different councils also have different policies. The blue signs are the definitive comment on the ground, but I seem to recall that at least one council (Durham??) was looking into a blanket rule where cyclist could use pavements where the speed limit of the road (excluding motorways ways etc) was >50mph.
Niallmo

Post by Niallmo »

You turn right out of Rother Valley head down under the railway bridge and back up to the roundabout where you go left up quite a steep hill. At the top of the Hill is the left turn towards Harthill. At Harthill you go left at the roundabout and then right just after the church. (It’s all signposted) you are then on a fairly straight run to shireoaks. You don’t use any canal/tow path until the railway crossing at Shireoaks at which point it will take you down the canal into Worksop.

Don’t turn left out of Rother. That’s not NCN6 to Worksop!
jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

Hi Niallmo
I can see your route from Rother Valley, it looks like a good alternative but if you look at the map it does actually tell you to turn left and go through Wales. I think your route looks more direct though.
If I knew how, I'd insert an image of the map I've got in front of me, but I can't see how. The curse of the newbie strikes again!
Thanks for the help.
Niallmo

Post by Niallmo »

Indeed! I wonder if it’s now been changed on the map to avoid the hill out of Killamarsh? I’ll have to go and have a look at some point. I know the NCN6 signposts are still up on “my route” as I used it last week.

IMO the map route is one of those compromises to use off road paths but is actually less useful for anyone who cycles over 10mph.

EDIT is available wrote:There seems to be snall obsession with issuing any available “infrastructure” that takes cyclists off the roads and onto shared paths or by-ways. I’m not in favour of this in general but consider it very useful for people who have just started riding or until they have confidence to be part of traffic. T

he route through Rother Valley north to Rotherham is horrendous. A perfect example of how not to do it. Overgrown tracks, very poor signage, a set of steps down a hill and then over a railway bridge!

Interesting...using google maps good gives you a third route!
jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

Yes Google Maps was the one that took us through the PF at a place called The Mill which looks like a private residence then out over fields then under the M1. I mentioned there was a small Cuckoo Way sign nailed to a fence just before the M1 underpass. It's clear on the OS map on bikehike.co.uk too. Think I might go that way again then pick up the canal path all the way to Worksop. Second attempt tomorrow!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-N910F using hovercraft full of eels.
jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

I've managed to fathom how to insert an image! This one shows the route of NCN6 as it goes up towards Wales rather than down towards Harthill.
Attachments
map.png
map.png (143.36 KiB) Viewed 347 times
jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

Hi folks
We rode the route yesterday to Worksop. 46 miles there and back.
On the way there we followed NCN6 up the hill through Wales as suggested by the map. That hill is a sod!!!
On the way back I was determined to ignore Google maps and stay on the canal path until the end of the canal at Kiveton. The route after this took us along good paths to...hey presto the place where my chain came off previously! Through the place called the Mill at Norwood.
So, for anyone who's interested I can recommend the canal route over NCN6 which was more direct and off road but probably slower than NCN6 route.
Thanks to all!
Wendy