NCN6 weirdness

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jazzkitten

NCN6 weirdness

Post by jazzkitten »

Hi folks
Hubby and I went through Rother Valley Country Park today intending to continue on the route to Worksop via NCN6. We were confronted with a huge iron gate with the words "The Mill" on them, the only clue we were on the right track was a Public Footpath sign by a gate which we tentatively went through and down the camera-lined drive, feeling all the time like intruders. Eventually we passed some buildings and another gate declaring "welcome to paradise" through a field, over a stile (stiles on a cycle route?) when the chain came off my bike and we had to turn back.

Our intention is to do it again next Tuesday and complete the run to Worksop next week and I wondered if any riders had knowledge of how the path continues to Worksop.
I've been a road cyclist all my life but recently have become more interested in trails and traffic free routes. Particularly love the Chesterfield Canal and associated routes.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie!

Wendy
gaz

Re: NCN6 weirdness

Post by gaz »

NCN6.jpg

Signing on the NCN is "patchy".

Local authority budgets and priorities don't always allow for clearing vegetation from signs, replacing missing signs, turning vandalised signs back the right way, or sometimes even sticking a sign up in the first place. Volunteer Ranger coverage is also patchy and not all authorities allow Rangers to sign routes.
Armorel

Post by Armorel »

I have ridden that route in the past (although not recently) but I can't quite pinpoint where it was that you ran into trouble. However, it seems to me that if you came to a Public Footpath sign then you were definitely NOT on the right route - cyclists aren't allowed to cycle on footpaths, only on bridleways, so the NCN route wouldn't follow something that is only a footpath. It will be worth going back with a map and seeing if you can locate the right route.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

It's pretty clear on the map - you take the main entrance/exit road out to the Wales/Killamarsh road. Then you turn left on a shared path up the hill and along to the traffic lights. Turn right through Wales Bar to Kiveton where you turn right towards Harthill. At Harthill it is signed clearly, i've seen the sign at the junction and along the road towards Thorpe Hesley. It then takes you around to Kiveton Bridge to pick up the canal by the level crossing.

There used to be a back way out of Rother Valley that brought you out at Wales crossroads but AFAIK they closed it off some time ago.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Are you referring to the old railway track that runs from Rother valley past Poolsbrook Park/Stavely on the TPT?We rode this last year with the kids.Definitely NOT a FP and really easily found/followed.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Armorel wrote:... it seems to me that if you came to a Public Footpath sign then you were definitely NOT on the right route - cyclists aren't allowed to cycle on footpaths, only on bridleways, so the NCN route wouldn't follow something that is only a footpath. ...

Please be assured that the NCN does follow public footpaths in places. Sometimes by formal negotiated access rights, sometimes by unwritten agreements and occasionally by simple pragmatism.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I like to use BikeHike (http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php) for this type of route finding because it's easy to swop between Google, Satellite and OMScycle maps while also having the OS map open in the other panel.
jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

Thanks folks for the help. After we'd gone through The Mill and over the stile, we actually went under the M1 and I saw a small sign saying Cuckoo Way nailed to a fence. Then my chain came off. Cuckoo Way is also signed on the Chesterfield Canal isn't it ? Just for clarity we were heading towards Worksop and had already passed through Stavely via the old train route. Thanks again , this is getting interesting!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my P01MA using hovercraft full of eels.
jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

Wow that Bikehike map did the trick! I know where we went wrong. Not sure I'd want to cycle up the A616 though, I'm trying to steer clear of busy roads with huge lorries these days.

jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

foxyrider wrote:It's pretty clear on the map - you take the main entrance/exit road out to the Wales/Killamarsh road. Then you turn left on a shared path up the hill and along to the traffic lights. Turn right through Wales Bar to Kiveton where you turn right towards Harthill. At Harthill it is signed clearly, i've seen the sign at the junction and along the road towards Thorpe Hesley. It then takes you around to Kiveton Bridge to pick up the canal by the level crossing.

There used to be a back way out of Rother Valley that brought you out at Wales crossroads but AFAIK they closed it off some time ago.
Is there a path beside the A616 that I missed? We came it of RVCP past the golf centre on Pithouse Lane onto the A616. Your message seems to suggest the path is beside the A616. Thanks again!

Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Using Google Map to look at the A618 in street view, there is a shared path on the left as you exit Pithouse Lane.
This then swaps to the right hand side of the main road until the garage.
Actually there is a shared path all the way up Pithouse lane, but it doesn't look that wide/obvious.

Luck ........ :D
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

gaz wrote:
Armorel wrote:... it seems to me that if you came to a Public Footpath sign then you were definitely NOT on the right route - cyclists aren't allowed to cycle on footpaths, only on bridleways, so the NCN route wouldn't follow something that is only a footpath. ...

Please be assured that the NCN does follow public footpaths in places. Sometimes by formal negotiated access rights, sometimes by unwritten agreements and occasionally by simple pragmatism.

That's interesting to know. I've never come across that and I would be surprised to know that an official signed section of the NCN went along a footpath without formal access agreement? Can you point to examples?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

jazzkitten wrote:
foxyrider wrote:It's pretty clear on the map - you take the main entrance/exit road out to the Wales/Killamarsh road. Then you turn left on a shared path up the hill and along to the traffic lights. Turn right through Wales Bar to Kiveton where you turn right towards Harthill. At Harthill it is signed clearly, i've seen the sign at the junction and along the road towards Thorpe Hesley. It then takes you around to Kiveton Bridge to pick up the canal by the level crossing.

Is there a path beside the A616 that I missed? We came it of RVCP past the golf centre on Pithouse Lane onto the A616. Your message seems to suggest the path is beside the A616. Thanks again!

As Tigerbiten says, it runs up the A618 (not sure how you would end up on the A616 which is the Sheffield - Newark road unless you are at Renishaw!) as a shared path.

That hill is a bugger, I used to commute up it every day and it never got easier! You can cut the corner and the lights out by turning up Cherrytree Road (?) next to the petrol station which will take you up to the motorway bridge where you van rejoin the route.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

Thanks Foxy rider. A616 should have read A618. Merely a typo. Thanks for your help again I'll be trying it on Tuesday unless it's sileing it down.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-N910F using hovercraft full of eels.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

jazzkitten wrote:Hi folks
Hubby and I went through Rother Valley Country Park today intending to continue on the route to Worksop via NCN6. We were confronted with a huge iron gate with the words "The Mill" on them, the only clue we were on the right track was a Public Footpath sign by a gate which we tentatively went through and down the camera-lined drive, feeling all the time like intruders. Eventually we passed some buildings and another gate declaring "welcome to paradise" through a field, over a stile (stiles on a cycle route?) when the chain came off my bike and we had to turn back.

Our intention is to do it again next Tuesday and complete the run to Worksop next week and I wondered if any riders had knowledge of how the path continues to Worksop.
I've been a road cyclist all my life but recently have become more interested in trails and traffic free routes. Particularly love the Chesterfield Canal and associated routes.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie!

Wendy

I went up through nottingham on route 6 last year and it was full of obstacles not suited for a loaded tourer once out of the city it was better. I'd have enjoyed it more without having to lift it over several restrictions and unloading to go over a high rail bridge.