Garmin FORMAT ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cycleruk

Garmin FORMAT ?

Post by cycleruk »

I have copied this direct of Facebook so I have not had personal experiance.
Besides a factory reset this guy, after a conversation with Garmin, carried out the procedure.:-

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
Quote -
So, it turns out that you can format your Garmin and when you power it back up, it defaults back to a basic config.
Sorted my problem and saved me £96 and a week without my Garmin.

1. Connect Edge to a PC
2. Right-click on device as it appears as a drive
3. Select Format
4. Ensure File System is set to FAT
5. Ensure Volume Label is set to Garmin
6. Select Start
7. Switch it back on and it re-installs to a basic config
8. Spend the next hour trying to remember how you had it set up
** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **

So if you are having problems with your Garmin ?
Normal rules apply like don’t blame me if it goes wrong, remove the memory stick (if you have one) and back it up first.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
robgul

Re: Garmin FORMAT ?

Post by robgul »

I think you may be on dangerous ground here - my Garmin (1000 Edge Explore) after the latest update uses both the memory in the gadget itself AND the SD card to work (same as my Android phone and tablet that use both sources as"one drive"

The process you describe did work before the recent update.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't get it. :?:

If you have problems with your Garmin, do a factory reset, and then connect up to your computer and go to Garmin Webupdater to get the latest software.
Mick F. Cornwall
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I did this a few years ago to my Etrex 30 and it did reinstate everything, however, I was having some problems with the unit after my Windows PC had repeatedly decided that there was a file system error and I finally allowed the PC to "correct" it. A factory reset wouldn't clear it and it was long out of warranty. I wouldn't do it just because
The Garmin was never 100% after that and I eventually exchanged it for a Garmin refurb unit, you have been warned :) :)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you can do a factory reset and then switch off and remove the batteries for a few minutes, then do another factory reset, then connect up to Garmin Webupdater, you can re-install the software from scratch.

If that doesn't do it, connect up to your computer and delete the whole lot. Then do the reset and the Webupdater.
That will work.

If you have a hardware issue, no computer is going to fix it.
Mick F. Cornwall