Please recommend a good-quality 8-speed chain

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Craig42

Please recommend a good-quality 8-speed chain

Post by Craig42 »

Hi could some one please help ,
I'm looking for a new bike chain and there are so many to choose from and don't want to make a wrong choice,
I want a good quality 8 speed chain
Many thanks
Craig
Sweep

Re: Please recommend a good-quality 8-speed chain

Post by Sweep »

I have always found this perfectly decent:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-pc850-8-sp ... 1252370222

As I understand it, probably from the clever nice helpful folk on here, there is no functional justification for going higher in the SRAM heirarchy, but the 830 should be avoided as a step too low.

Re-usable link. As in, I understand it, fine to re-use with the same chain (as in splitting for cleaning) but a new one should be used with a new chain. No great problem as it will almost certainly come with one.
Sweep
meic

Post by meic »

I would agree with that and I would also have jumped to the conclusion that you wanted a chain for a Shimano/SRAM system.
Campagnolo uses different size chains. Which does mean that if you want a really good, but proportionally more expensive chain, the Campagnolo C9 falls between Shimano 8 and 9 speed and I and others have used it quite successfully on Shimano 8 speed systems.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/camp ... -prod26019

I get about 2 to 3 times the life from these as I do a SRAM850 or 870.
Unfortunately the cassettes dont last that long, so it works out cheaper overall to use the SRAMs.
Yma o Hyd
robgul

Post by robgul »

KMC Z ??something - is the 8sp chain of choice in my shop (in fact every chain we sell is KMC - they are OEM on loads of bikes too)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I would say more KMC X than KMC Z. Fitted a few Z chains that didn't sem to last as well as I'd thought. Z chains are widely used in the bike trade.
They also come in a zinc plated/coated version (stops the plates rusting, but if you don't oil it, I'm sure the links will rust up like anyone elses).
KMC X8-93 is better, X8-99 more nickle plate, may or may not be harder wearing.
("X" comes in 8/9/10/11 speed flavours, so get the right one).

Re Sram (good in my book), the Sram boss says all levels of the chains have the same hardness metal, so wear will be fairly similar across the range.
I think Scram lost a lot of (trade) market when they stopped supplying (in the UK at least, if no where else) bulk boxes of 50 to the trade (more profit/less packing/waste for the dealer), so KMC picked up a lot of that.

Cheers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

PT1029 wrote:...Re Sram (good in my book), the Sram boss says all levels of the chains have the same hardness metal, so wear will be fairly similar across the range.

the bottom end chain that SRAM make has never been as hard wearing as the others. I understand it that PC830 currently occupies that particular position.

However in the top end sram chains there are now other surface treatments on parts of the chain. How much these change the wear rate I don't know.

Regardless of the chain used, the most important thing is to throw it away when it is a bit worn; if you do this often enough then the chainrings and sprockets can be used over and over again. Money-wise it often works out not much different if you run X or Z series KMC chains this way; the x series ones last longer but they also cost more.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Sweep wrote:I have always found this perfectly decent:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-pc850-8-sp ... 1252370222

As I understand it, probably from the clever nice helpful folk on here, there is no functional justification for going higher in the SRAM heirarchy, but the 830 should be avoided as a step too low.

Re-usable link. As in, I understand it, fine to re-use with the same chain (as in splitting for cleaning) but a new one should be used with a new chain. No great problem as it will almost certainly come with one.

Me too. While I'm happy to try the cheapest option, I found the Sram PG830's wore out in no time. The PG850's in contrast, seemed to last far longer (Nb. I've still got 2-3 brand new PG850's to try, having bought a bulk order 3-4 years ago!).

While other chains have lasted far longer (Campag Mirage sprinsg to mind), they always seem to cost a fortune to buy on an independent basis as opposed to beinhg supplied with the bike. My only reservation is with the sram "powerlinks". While they're easy to fit and ok in use, they're a nightmare to undo and reuse, so I always ensure I have a back up supply of alternative quicklinks (Nb. Currently connex)
Craig42

Post by Craig42 »

meic wrote:I would agree with that and I would also have jumped to the conclusion that you wanted a chain for a Shimano/SRAM system.
Campagnolo uses different size chains. Which does mean that if you want a really good, but proportionally more expensive chain, the Campagnolo C9 falls between Shimano 8 and 9 speed and I and others have used it quite successfully on Shimano 8 speed systems.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/camp ... -prod26019

I get about 2 to 3 times the life from these as I do a SRAM850 or 870.
Unfortunately the cassettes dont last that long, so it works out cheaper overall to use the SRAMs.

Yes i think its a shimano , it said in the shifters and the hanger but not checked on the cassette
Craig42

Post by Craig42 »

Thanks for all your help , I should get sorted now I think :)
Graham

Post by Graham »

I'm just bumping this for my own selfish purpose. :?

Remember to buy 3*KMC "X" chains from SPA @ £8 each.
The last two lasted 1550 & 1650 miles approx ( which is actually rather disappointing ). Maybe time to move to a 3-chain rotation ?

Remember to research shimano 7-speed cassettes 14-32 : the SPA PC50s are £17 . . .

EDIT
AND a couple of Duranos + CarLube 100 semi-fluid spray grease
Last edited by Graham on 10 Oct 2018, 1:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: shopping list update
mjr

Post by mjr »

gbnz wrote:Me too. While I'm happy to try the cheapest option, I found the Sram PG830's wore out in no time. The PG850's in contrast, seemed to last far longer (Nb. I've still got 2-3 brand new PG850's to try, having bought a bulk order 3-4 years ago!).

How do PGs differ from PCs and where do you buy them?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what sort of mielage do people here get from Sram 850's?
I seem to have ridden about 1200 miles so far and no more than 1/2 worn out. I have been using CarLube spray grease and that seem to have helped
PH

Post by PH »

Graham wrote:I'm just bumping this for my own selfish purpose. :?
Remember to buy 3*KMC "X" chains from SPA @ £8 each.

I'm paying less than a tenner for cassettes (8 speed) so it's hard to see the economical sense in sacrificing £8 chains to preserve them, certainly doesn't with the mileage you're getting. Current pair are on around 6,000km without problem, though it's a bike that doesn't see much wet weather. I have replacements for both ready to swap at the first sign of trouble. Also have a spare middle chainring (the other two don't see the same use) to replace when needed, the current one is on at least the second chain/cass.
YMMV of course, but it's worth looking at it for yourself rather than just following the perceived wisdom which I think is based on a price differential which in many cases no longer exists.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC in SRAM-speak;

PC = chain
PG = Cassette

PC-830 is indeed manufactured without 'chrome hardened pins' so those chains do not wear at all well.
It used to be the case that any SRAM chain above this would wear about equally well, but there are now claims of 'special surface treatments' in the poshest ones, for which I have yet to see evidence of improved chain life.

In KMC chains the ones that last longer are 'doubleX' treated (or more), although there is a more complex hierarchy than with SRAM. AFAICT single X KMC chains are comparable with most SRAM, maybe slightly less good than that depending on how you look after them.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:I'm paying less than a tenner for cassettes (8 speed) so it's hard to see the economical sense in sacrificing £8 chains to preserve them, certainly doesn't with the mileage you're getting. Current pair are on around 6,000km without problem, though it's a bike that doesn't see much wet weather. I have replacements for both ready to swap at the first sign of trouble. [...]

The trouble is that I've known "the first sign of trouble" to be a snapped chain whiplashing through the drivetrain and damaging other (more expensive) stuff on its way out, plus leaving one stranded with an awkward-to-repair-quickly bike. That's a great economic sense reason not to let a chain wear too far IMO.

Brucey wrote:IIRC in SRAM-speak;

PC = chain
PG = Cassette

Thanks. That'll be why "SRAM PG chain" wasn't finding many hits!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.