Oxford Bike Works?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
djnotts

Oxford Bike Works?

Post by djnotts »

Anyone know of a slightly cheaper but similar design ethos to the OBW Model 1

https://www.oxfordbikeworks.co.uk/models/model-1/

Should I know be possible to build/modify something older for less, but I do not, genuinely and for very good reasons, have the time. Something would turn up 2nd hand on ebay etc eventually, but again time is against me. I suspect the OBW IS as cheap as a new one comes.
Bonefishblues

Re: Oxford Bike Works?

Post by Bonefishblues »

Their 1E, shirley?

...said not entirely in jest.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Well, yes! I have looked at that also - but if I'm going a grand comes down to is the extra 350 quid "worth" it.
random37

Post by random37 »

If it's the same frame, forks and still has decent quality wheels, I wouldn't hesitate to use cheaper parts elsewhere.

Lower end Shimano stuff is really, really, good. All you pay for beyond a certain point is finish and lower weight.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Finish unimportant - weight a very different matter (to me).
PH

Post by PH »

They look decent value, so I'm not sure if there is much of a saving to be made. A couple of alternatives, which might come in slightly cheaper - the smaller sizes of the Spa tourer are 26" wheel and the Surley LHT also comes in 26" and there's a choice of shops who will build it to your spec.
I was thinking that design was similar to the standard German trekking bike, but a glance at the Rose website shows they've embraced the 27.5" wheel and the prices seem to have shot up, possible due to the exchange rate.
Even without the time to wait for a s/h option, might be worth a wanted add here and other forums.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Only the very smallest Spa comes in a 26" wheel version - and the "standard" specs are drop bar. I shall consider - good prices.
PH

Post by PH »

djnotts wrote:Only the very smallest Spa comes in a 26" wheel version - and the "standard" specs are drop bar. I shall consider - good prices.

OK. I thought it was a couple of sizes. Someone in our CTC group has one, it didn't look that small! Built up (By Spa) in a straight bar spec, I don't know how much they paid.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

djnotts wrote:Well, yes! I have looked at that also - but if I'm going a grand comes down to is the extra 350 quid "worth" it.

Arguably it's more closely aligned to their full fat Expedition than the 1, being 8 speed, I think, as opposed to 9/10 speed. I'd find it hard to justify the extra spend, unless it was up to the Expedition Lite (or whatever it's called!)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I have a virtually unused Surly LHT 26" 56cm frame for sale (£220). You could use this as a base for a very similar build.

Depending on components (I have gone Deore for my other LHT) you could have a good bespoke bike for less than the the Oxford.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Spa cycles do their steel tourer in fiat bar option. They build them up from scratch so you can specify what you want within reason. It is usually slightly cheaper to get a flat bar build at Spa BTW.

Smallest size is 26" (48cm but next size up is 51cm and 700 as standard). Thorn do 26" in larger frame sizes or surly or dawes or ridgeback.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"I have a virtually unused Surly LHT 26" 56cm frame for sale (£220)…... you could have a good bespoke bike for less than the the Oxford."

Yes, would ideally be my route, but as above I have not the time. And thanks!

When I have thought I shall probably enquire at Spa. And continue "searching".

Thanks all.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

djnotts wrote:"I have a virtually unused Surly LHT 26" 56cm frame for sale (£220)…... you could have a good bespoke bike for less than the the Oxford."

Yes, would ideally be my route, but as above I have not the time. And thanks!

When I have thought I shall probably enquire at Spa. And continue "searching".

Thanks all.

I was thinking that you could get your LBS to do the build. My LBS built both of my Surlys.
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

How's about this

https://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bikes/touri ... expedition

Breton bikes started a long thread about these.

Also, consider this - excellent spec for the price. Popular on the Continent and available in Cambridge (from memory!)

https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/kat ... g-hs33-769
https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/kat ... g-disc-777
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

The Fahrrad is a very nice bike - but 1500 quid is a lot of cash!