Bike Buddy MK3 or similar

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
willpom

Bike Buddy MK3 or similar

Post by willpom »

Any one have any experience of the Bike Buddy MK3?

Want to use it for an underslung downtube fuel bottle but wary of the whole thing jumping off should I be on a bit of rough stuff.

http://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/

Or does anyone have any other recommendations for a metal fuel bottle, 'cage' easily removeable when not in use?
dondelion

Re: Bike Buddy MK3 or similar

Post by dondelion »

I used one to carry a 750ml fuel bottle on my big tour and it never caused me any problems even on the roughest of Mongolian tracks. At some point I lost a part during transportation and they sent me a free replacement. Thoroughly recommended.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

It's a great bit of old fashioned Brit engineering will

As in, looks maybe a tad Heath Robinson and initially setting it up is a slight health and safety hazard - be careful of those sharp bits.

Also, take it slowly with the instructions.

But it's brilliant. I have every faith in mine - solid as a rock - never come off and I don't expect it to.

Mine is on a 26 inch wheel expedition bike with a 1 litre Trangia bottle.

Main thing is to check that the frame geometry allows the bottle to sit there OK without interfering with the wheel.

No issue with my exped bike - may be with some 700 wheeled bikes.
Last edited by Sweep on 18 Jul 2018, 11:33am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've got one. I've never done anything to test it but it's rock solid. Mine is fitted to a stainless steel vacuum flask but it's never given me the slightest doubt about staying on. BTW, When I say fitted it is fitted. The quick release applies to getting the whole caboodle off the frame. While the holder would be interchangeable between types and sizes of bottle, making the switch wouldn't be quick release by any means. One minor irritation is that it has packing washers on the frame bosses and if it's not mounted, they rattle a bit so I wrap a rubber band round them.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Plus one. Looks odd and like it won't work but it so does. Solid piece of kit. (I've no idea what MK mine are though). Plus also on providing some protection to metal fuel bottles. Or just move to meths :)