Why have disc brakes become so popular?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Peter W

Re: Why have disc brakes become so popular?

Post by Peter W »

'.....one does an emergency stop. Can't remember ever doing one for real.'

Well, there are situations which are beyond a persons ability to control. My delving into curious court cases (bedtime reading :roll: ) unearthed a rather extreme example which even put the presiding judge into a tizzy. An elderly motorist and his wife had been ambling along a minor road when without warning, clean out of the blue (literally), a horse crashed out of the heavens smack in front of him, terryfying his motor car and giving his wife kittens!

Apparently, horses can be transported by air freight services, and this particular creature had been spooked and run amock, crashing out of the aircraft and suffering the consequence. At the inevitable trial of the air freight company (can't remember what the charge sheet read) with the elderly couple relating their terror, the judge offered the considered opinion that, ' It is an extraordinary thing to contemplate that at any momenta horse may fall from the sky and land in front of one.'

So Brypoeth, don't downgrade (to weaker stopping power) your no doubt excellent braking system just yet. You never can tell! (Though, personally, I think hydraulics would be more to your benfit. :wink: )
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

doesn't that go to show that horses would be much better off if they had hydraulic brakes, or something....?.... :wink:

BTW regarding maintenance and troubleshooting; I have just been presented with a set of (DOT fluid type) hydraulic brakes from a well-known manufacturer. They are not leaking badly (but as usual the paintwork on the MC is in poor condition, presumably because of brake fluid attack), the brakes appear to be full of fluid, but they just plain don't work; the pistons don't extend easily /uniformly and they return less well than that. The LBS has declared them a dead loss (more time to fix than they are worth despite the cost of the brakeset being the thick end of £100) and has fitted a new set of brakes instead.

I'm pretty handy with these things and I don't know what the problem is; could be
- pistons binding in caliper bores (dirt, corrosion, plastic piston swelling)
- seals have swollen (eg because the wrong fluid has been used inside the system) or
- seals have swollen (eg because the lever or caliper parts have been lubricated with something that makes the MC seals swell)

The system was overfilled with fluid, and removing the excess showed that the fluid smelt and felt like DOT fluid rather than mineral oil, which means that if it has got the wrong fluid inside, it isn't all the wrong fluid.

I happen to have a seal kit for this model of brake; even so it might be a dead loss for me to try and fix these brakes; it will be a couple of hours (of messy work) to strip and inspect the brakes and if they don't work (once I have spent a similar length of time rebuilding them) I shall be out by the seal kit, the fluid used, and several hours of my time. If it does work, it will presumably be only a matter of time until they fail again. No wonder the LBS didn't fancy it....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:doesn't that go to show that horses would be much better off if they had hydraulic brakes, or something....?.... :wink:

cheers

From the horse's POV quick thinking on the hoof may have been a better bet.
Some may think nay it wouldn't,but it's what we're saddled with,so best not have a long face about it or jump to any conclusions.
In the case of a horse falling from the sky,I hope the couple in question didnt take to looking into it's mouth after all one shouldn't......
Last edited by reohn2 on 27 Jul 2018, 11:37am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Debs

Post by Debs »

reohn2 wrote:
Brucey wrote:doesn't that go to show that horses would be much better off if they had hydraulic brakes, or something....?.... :wink:

cheers

Some may think nay it wouldn't,but it's what we're saddled with,so best not have a long face about it or jump to any conclusions.

Canter-lever brakes surely :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Debs wrote:Canter-lever brakes surely :wink:

Yep,those would rein any horse in I s'pose
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

neigh, neigh, and thrice neigh....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Horse's for courses :wink:
W H Auden
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
but they just plain don't work; the pistons don't extend easily /uniformly and they return less well than that

Some hydraulic disc brakes suffer badly in the heat. Some early SRAM Guide brakes variants (MY 2016??) suffer with the piston in the master cylinder binding; you can apply the brakes but they won't retract because the spring is too weak to overcome the stiction. Google suggests that a replacement piston has been made available by SRAM through dealers
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

that is interesting; if the pistons are binding I shall probably whittle them down a bit. All kinds of polymers tend to swell very slightly in certain fluids; I have had troubles with car brakes because of this too.

If the spring is not strong enough, then I'm sure I can furnish a stronger one.

Not sure when I shall get stuck in to this job, but I shall keep folk posted if I come up with any conclusions.

cheers
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Is maintenace and changing of pads on disc brakes easier than rim brakes? I watched a video on youtube
regarding changing disc pads and thought........
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

De Sisti wrote:Is maintenace and changing of pads on disc brakes easier than rim brakes? I watched a video on youtube

It varies from one disc brake model to another. It is usually not difficult per se, but it isn't usually as easy or as obvious as with rim brakes.

cheers
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:

cheers

In the case of a horse falling from the sky,I hope the couple in question didnt take to looking into it's mouth after all one shouldn't......

Whatever it is you're taking its good stuff, or do you have a pun generator app? :wink: 8)
Best solution might be to put the cart before the horse
Or get a pushme-pullyou :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

Brucey wrote:
horizon wrote:Just a gentle reminder that the thread was really asking why now? (though I accept that isn't clear from the thread title). Remember, they had over a hundred years to get their act together.

A hundred years? -not really; the 'invention of the disc brake' a hundred years ago did not result in the widespread adpotion of disc brakes on any vehicle, for a long time. Aeroplanes were early adpoters, racing cars (1950s) road cars (60s and 70s), motorcycles (70s) railway rolling stock (~90s?) and bicycles all followed later on.

In your first post you describe disc brakes as being 'de rigeur' now, but (outside of a few niche applications) I'd dispute that. There are many more bikes sold with brakes other than discs....

Presently they are a viable alternative to other brakes at a reasonable cost, and (by association as much as anything else) they suppose that they
are going to work a lot better than the 'old fashioned' alternatives.

cheers

Ah yes. The High Speed Train, developed in the 1970s. The thing about the HST isn't so much the ability to go, but the ability to stop.

The big deal was that the HST with Mk 3 coaches can stop from 125 mph in the same distance as all the other trains at the time can stop from 90 mph. This meant that the HST could travel at 125 mph without any need to change the distances between signals.

As for how it achieved this: it went from tread brakes to disc brakes, and had a form of anti slip braking. The (early) electronic actuation was also part of the package. The braking capability was what really made it a success.

Modern rolling stock now routinely uses disc brakes, either wheel mounted or axle mounted. I think with this sort of thing, once one bunch spends the time and money to develop the technology, the entry price drops for everyone, so it becomes more widely adopted. Similarly, traction with electric motors additionally uses the motors to get dynamic braking, as with disc brakes, once the technology had been developed, it was more widely used. In that case, the electronics and software to blend dynamic and friction braking also helps.

Ideas often wait until materials catch up, for example modern manufacturing makes precision components like an 8-speed derailleur widely and cheaply available.... The idea was not new, but needed manufacturing technology to catch up. Which is how I read Hope's role in bike disc brakes.

I like disc brakes on my bikes, I am a fan of the BB7, but then I am big and heavy as are my Disc Trucker and Big Dummy...... Each to their own and all that...... What's to disagree about?

TPO
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote: ....... do you have a pun generator app? :wink: 8) ....

Nope,annoyingly it's all straight from the horse's mouth :wink: .
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

De Sisti wrote:Is maintenace and changing of pads on disc brakes easier than rim brakes? I watched a video on youtube

Part of any of my maintenance checks is the visual. I can't see the disk brake pads anything like as easily as I can with various rim brakes.