A few newbie Road bike questions

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jono73

A few newbie Road bike questions

Post by Jono73 »

Looking to buy a road bike again (25 years after my last one) and its all abit of a minefield.

After much research I have set my sights on a Cube Attain - purely cos I want something I can put the miles in on in relative comfort - hence I looked at Sportive/Endurance models.

First Question is to do with sizing - I'm 6'1 with a 33 inside leg - do I go for a 58 or a 60 frame with Cube being a little funny with regards to sizing?

Additionally - Is there a massive step up in quality between the Shimano 105 and Ultegra set ups?

Cheers in advance!
chris_suffolk

Re: A few newbie Road bike questions

Post by chris_suffolk »

You need to try. Sizes differ by manufacturer, even if they are nominally the same. So take one for a test ride - or at worst sit on one in the shop.
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Can't speak to the sizing, but I'd say 105 is accepted as Shimano's price/performance sweet spot; if you can get a good deal on the Ultegra, by all means go for it, but it's only a marginal improvement over 105.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Wot they said.

If I remember correctly Cube use an imaginary point when describing their frame sizes, eg the 61 might only measure 58. It's essential in my view to find one to sit on before making the size decision - I have bikes with frames from 54 to 60 - they all fit but different geometries and brands have resulted in no common size.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
peetee

Post by peetee »

You have short legs for someone of your height which means your torso is longer than average. Conversly, given that you have spent many years off a bike your upper body flexibility may be less than ideal. Bike sizing is usually a measure of the seat tube but your upper body is going to dictate the best size so, as previously stated, you need to try before you buy.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As said... try some for size.... what might comfy for one might not be for another....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Lots of bikes called "Attain" here....https://www.cube.eu/en/products/road-race/attain/cube-attain-bluenblack-2016/
Handlebar height ("stack") of the 60 is 629, against 610 for the 58
Top tube length of the 60 is 590 against 575 for the 58....but here some of the difference is accounted for by a slacker seat angle on the bigger bike.
So, with the 60 you will get the bars almost 20mm higher, for just about 10mm extra forward reach.
(This is the usual trade-off... a bigger bike will get the bars higher, but you will have to reach further forward)
All you need to do is fit a stem one size shorter to the 60 and it has the same reach as the 58.
But as everybody says, at least sit on the bikes first.
PutneySprinter

Post by PutneySprinter »

As the others have said, try some different sizing options - closer/further/higher/lower handlebars, more forward/further back saddle set up. Everyone has their own biomechanics - longer body, shorter legs in my case, so I went for a big frame and adjusted saddle and handlebars.

Re groupsets, I've ridden on Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra all in the last 2 years. Tiagra is a good budget-conscious option. I found Ultegra marginally lighter and more smooth in shifting than 105.
The jump between 105 and Ultegra in price is steep, so unless you get a good price on Ultegra, I'd be looking at 105.