Cycle repair kit and bag and advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TrevA

Re: Cycle repair kit and bag and advice

Postby TrevA » 23 Jul 2018, 2:31pm

gregoryoftours wrote:If I'm going on a decent distance ride I'll take a spare tube and 2 levers, pump, temporary tyre boot made out of a bit of an old road tyre or plastic milk bottle. Leave the puncture kit for repairs one you get home. A couple of quick links for your chain and a small chain tool to remove the damaged link, 4,5 and 6 Allen keys (or bits with a tiny ratchet driver). Maybe a couple of long-ish re-useable zip ties if I'm very organised.

I carry pretty much the same as above, but 2 spare tubes and I've recently started carrying a pair of surgical gloves to keep your hands clean when changing a puncture or fixing a mechanical.

Mini pump goes on the bike, next to the bottle cage. I have one kit and pump for each bike, as otherwise I'd forget to take the pump and spares with me.

A Topeak medium seat pack gives enough room for all the above tools and spares.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

mjr

Postby mjr » 24 Jul 2018, 2:02pm

it's usually far easier and quicker to replace the inner tube with a spare, and then patch the punctured tube at home at your leisure

With good instant patches, that's no longer true, as long as you can see where the puncture is (or if not, hear/feel it after pumping the tyre back up a bit). Just remove a bit of tyre around the hole, hoick the tube out, stick a patch on, push the tube back in and replace the tyre. You'd have to do all that and quite a lot more to replace the tube. Then I usually remove the instant patch and apply a conventional one at home at my leisure.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

TheCyclingScot

Postby TheCyclingScot » 24 Jul 2018, 9:22pm

I've got the small saddle bag from Decathlon (around £7) and it's large enough to carry...

Spare tube
Co2 canisters
Quick links
Tyre levers
Bike tool (allen keys etc.)
self-adhesive puncture patches

I've been fortunate to never have more than one puncture at a time and never see the need to repair a tube at the roadside. Just fit a new tube and repair the damaged one when you get home - saves time and mess while you're out. I'll always have a credit card in my saddle bag too as you never know what may happen and this can solve a lot of problems if you're far from home and you can't go on.

Fraz101

Postby Fraz101 » 25 Jul 2018, 12:08am

TheCyclingScot wrote:I've got the small saddle bag from Decathlon (around £7) and it's large enough to carry...

Spare tube
Co2 canisters
Quick links
Tyre levers
Bike tool (allen keys etc.)
self-adhesive puncture patches

I've been fortunate to never have more than one puncture at a time and never see the need to repair a tube at the roadside. Just fit a new tube and repair the damaged one when you get home - saves time and mess while you're out. I'll always have a credit card in my saddle bag too as you never know what may happen and this can solve a lot of problems if you're far from home and you can't go on.

Thanks mate

And thanks for all replies