Best way to keep cool

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
whoof

Re: Best way to keep cool

Post by whoof »

mjr wrote:Wrong sort of cotton, probably.

Yeah, probably the stuff made out of cotton.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Use a base layer containing Merino wool. It sounds counter intuitive, but it helps with the sweat wicking, so actually aids cooling.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

TrevA wrote:Wear the minimum you can. I ride in just bibshorts and a full zip jersey - no vest, and regulate temperature via the zip. I'll even ride fully unzipped if it's really hot. Drink plenty and carry a bottle that just water that you can pour over your head to cool down.

+1 - not worn more than this since late April!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
fionat

Post by fionat »

It is really hot. Felt quite ill after 30 miles on Sunday.

Take lots of water (and drink it!)
Keep to shade as much as you can
Cycle early morning
Short and flat

(Or do as I did yesterday and find your local outdoor swimming venue instead!)

And, channelling my inner Baz Luhrmann, Wear sunscreen. :)
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Cugel wrote:In all events, I find a string vest under a air-permeable jersey the best at cooling. String vests have the added capability of exciting ladyfolk, should they catch a glimpse. Oh yes they do!

String vests may excite ladyfolk, just not in the way you think :shock: :lol:
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

fionat wrote:It is really hot. Felt quite ill after 30 miles on Sunday.

Cycle early morning
Short and flat

(Or do as I did yesterday and find your local outdoor swimming venue instead!)

And, channelling my inner Baz Luhrmann, Wear sunscreen. :)

The problem with drinking lots of water is that you don't only sweat water, you also lose salts. Better to drink an electrolyte such as Isostar. I speak from experience of working in temperatures as high as 56degC.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

+37°C forecast
Best not to cycle at all for a few days, right?
Would fancy riding the downhill bit from Alston to Middleton-in-Teesdale mind, downhill, not too steep, one could generate a good cooling "Fahrtwind"
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

fionat wrote:It is really hot. Felt quite ill after 30 miles on Sunday.

Cycle early morning
Short and flat

So my almost 80 miles through the Peak District across the middle of the day doesn't tick your boxes?

It only got to 29c and I did drink plenty, I even took a short stop under some trees.

Have to admit to feeling somewhat drained by the time I got back home but 1800+m of climbing probably didn't help.

You can drink too much plain water which is dangerous. Electrolyte tabs help keep the balance of stuff a bit better and I find a pot of tea works very well - better long term than the instant gratification of a bottle of pop! (and of course the cafe is a good spot to get the bidons refilled!)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Want to keep cool? Come to SW Scotland! The heatwave ended here a couple of weeks ago and temperatures are in the low 20s. We haven't had much rain but enough to green the lawn again.
fionat

Post by fionat »

OK- drink water with electrolyte tabs (what I do)

I always know when I've lost too much salt - the cats use me as a salt-lick!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Porridge with salt is the answer
The complex carbohydrates and water are released gradually
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fionat

Post by fionat »

LollyKat wrote:Want to keep cool? Come to SW Scotland! The heatwave ended here a couple of weeks ago and temperatures are in the low 20s. We haven't had much rain but enough to green the lawn again.

Up to Glasgow at the weekend (Freelance Friday at Citizen M - 5-7 pm - all freelancers welcome - just turn up!). Aiming for Victoria Park parkrun on Saturday, but won't have my bike.
mjr

Post by mjr »

geocycle wrote:I do use synthetic materials as cotton can keep the damp close to your skin and cause chaffing.

Sorry you hate the environment ;-) and preferably one shouldn't wear anything tight enough to chafe in this weather!

Cotton is cool - just take it easy. I don't agree with all of this but it contains some pointers on types of cotton: https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/dress- ... t-weather/
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Airsporter1st wrote:
The problem with drinking lots of water is that you don't only sweat water, you also lose salts. Better to drink an electrolyte such as Isostar. I speak from experience of working in temperatures as high as 56degC.

The precisely diluted fruit juice/sugar mix works, as does replacing a drink at a stop/lunch time with skimmed milk rather than water.

Otherwise try an alternative form of exercise/sport. Having not swum for 30 years in a pool, I took it up in 2015 during the summer months to avoid excess dehydration and maintain fitness. 100-150 lengths at speed 4-5 occ's per week is effective, zero dehydration
fionat

Post by fionat »

gbnz wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:Otherwise try an alternative form of exercise/sport. Having not swum for 30 years in a pool, I took it up during the summer months to avoid excess dehydration and maintain fitness. 100-150 lengths at speed 4-5 occ's per week is effective

This year I've taken up open water swimming. I don't know why I ever swum in a pool. So much nicer.