First ever road bike. Need opinion

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
slowster

Re: First ever road bike. Need opinion

Post by slowster »

Neither of the Boardmans are suitable.

It's 3.5 miles. By the time you get warmed up you will be nearly there, so there's little point in getting a stripped down fast road bike for such a commute.

For such a shortish commute you are far less likely to appreciate, let alone need, a high performance lightweight road race bike. What you will appreciate after a few months, especially in the winter, is a bike that gives you no trouble, requires the minimum of maintenance, has mudguards and lights, reliable brakes, convenient and waterproof luggage carrying capability, gears low enough to allow you ride up any hills at the pace you want and find most comfortable, and is no heavier than it needs to be to be.

In some respects almost any bike will do, and far more important will be spending money on having the right clothes (including reflectives) for when it's wet and/or cold. Warm feet and warm hands can make the difference between a miserable ride and a pleasant one, so I would be paying more attention to my gloves/mittens and footwear than a fancy bike. (On which point, I would use either flat pedals or a traditional pedal with large plastic toeclips (like these in the large size http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-toe-clips-43-515xl-set/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=100325130&kpid=100325130&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|sX3LGg1UE_dc|mcrid|67090789502|mkw||mmt||mrd|100325130uk|mslid||&mkwid=sX3LGg1UE_dc&pcrid=67090789502&prd=100325130uk&pgrid=17507338502&ptaid=aud-94098342302:pla-304066957368) that would allow ordinary shoes and even boots in winter, rather than clipless pedals.)

Because the distance is so short and you will only start to get warmed up by the time you are nearly there, that means you need to dress to keep warm at a relatively low intensity. Moreover, it's probably going to be best not to go at a fast pace anyway, because otherwise you will be uncomfortably hot and sweaty when you get there. Even if there are showers at your workplace, it's not worth it for a 3.5 mile commute: better just to ride a bit more slowly.

If you want a better idea of the sort of things that make a great commuter bike, have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70632

With regard to the question of rim vs disc brakes for your steep hill, either will do if properly looked after. Remember, you are commuting, not racing, and the important thing when commuting is to arrive safely with you and your bike undamaged. That means riding carefully, even slowly, and using the brakes promptly/early, rather than pushing the braking performance of the bike to its limts.
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

So I went back into Halfords and spoke with the guy whom quite quickly accepted that I’d be better off considering something that does have built in allowances for panniers and mudguards considering I’m going to be packing lunch a change of clothes and be out year round.

So thanks for setting me straight. Even if you did dash my hopes of a carbon frame. I have a MTB already for trails. So as this bike will strictly be on nice smooth roads I’m looking into some endurance alluminum frames. I really don’t want a cheap bike that I’m going to want to upgrade so much within a year that I’d have been better off to have bought better in the first place. So bearing in mind I have a Evans and Halfords to pick from near me. I’m looking at

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-do ... e-EV306253

The most expensive but best equipped.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... bestseller

The cheapest. But the least equipped. IMO the brakes and crank on the next one I know nothing about as a brand.

Or possibly

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV308140

Sceptical on the last one though as the brakes and crank are not as good quality as the first your paying for the frame and actually there are some pretty poor reviews on it in the next spec up.

Not to mention most people will advise by a better components over a better frame as the components that run it will make the difference,
My poor poor bottom
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Will any of those fit full length mudguards though?
freiston

Post by freiston »

Xilter wrote:I really don’t want a cheap bike that I’m going to want to upgrade so much within a year that I’d have been better off to have bought better in the first place.
Not to mention most people will advise by a better components over a better frame as the components that run it will make the difference,
I don't know who your "most people" are but they ain't the "most people" that I know. To an extent, the components are the 'consumables' and the frame is the bit that outlives the rest - buy the frame you want and you can always upgrade the components as they wear out. It's not just a question of quality either. Once you reach a certain level of quality, throwing more money at it makes for lighter bits but not necessarily more hard-wearing (often the opposite).

Saying that, the components on your linked bikes (at a glance) appear to be good solid stuff but the bikes seem to me to be weekend racer type bike not commuting bikes (others might disagree). If you really want to spend that kind of cash, why not consider a steel (or for a bit more money, a rust-proof titanium) sporty audax bike? I would say much more suited to your requirements.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p286 ... -Triple%29

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p286 ... -Triple%29
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

Quite a few times I have come across that SPA cycles. Shame it’s too far away.
My poor poor bottom
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Someone else has already mentioned but the staff at Halfords vary from shop to shop .... 2 of the guys in Chichester are so good it's the only place I'd take my bike locally.

For the ride you're doing / year round commute, that you'd like to mount panniers / mudguards and taking the potholed state of the roads in the UK into consideration personally I'd look at a Gravel / Adventure bike like the Boardman ADV 8.9 you listed or Pinnacle Arkose.
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

The road from my place to work is astonishingly nice. I’m a bit lucky there I know.

Went into Evans today to test ride the dolomite3. And re ride the synapse 105. Walked in waved down the guy that took my deposit three days ago. He said he would get someone, waited 20 minutes. Flagged down the guy that was trying to sell me the bike a few days ago. He said he would get someone. Waited 20 minutes. Went to the counter and asked them to get someone. Waited another 20 minutes and went to the counter asked for my deposit back and walked out without getting to ride anything.

I can’t buy a bike off them if they aren’t interested in selling it. Went to a LBS in another town who recommended I consider their Focus range. Since their Specialized is a bit pricey.
My poor poor bottom