Shropshire union canal.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
MikeHaynes

Shropshire union canal.

Post by MikeHaynes »

Hi, can anyone tell me if i can cycle the shropshire union canal from Tattenhall marina to Chester?
And if i can is it grass or gravel. Any other info on the condition of the path would be very helpful.
RickH

Re: Shropshire union canal.

Post by RickH »

The tow path from Waverton to Chester is fine, if a little bumpy in places. From the marina to Waverton I would suggest using Long Lane instead.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:The tow path from Waverton to Chester is fine, if a little bumpy in places. From the marina to Waverton I would suggest using Long Lane instead.

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

You can just about see where the path goes from good to "a rut in the grass" at the right hand edge of this photo. This is just by the bridge at Waverton (turn right into the small car park just before you go over the canal then left under the bridge to Chester).

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/B3AHRC/uk-che ... B3AHRC.jpg
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

+1 Waverton to Chester is fine, I used to car/cycle commute this whilst temporarily working in Chester 3-years ago. I parked up in Waverton and enjoyed the easy 3-mile ride along the towpath, it is narrow in places, the surface being variable ( a bit slippy in the wet if you venture onto the flags close to Waitrose). Watch out for auto-pilot dog walkers between Waverton & Christleton and also the tamest Moorhens I have ever come across (small duck like bird with huge green feet!).
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Slightly OT

When we used a canal or waterway, we used to download and carry a permit

Free of charge and simple to complete, but was always useful with the "you rent allowed to cycle here" brigade that are common on canals

Unfortunately it no longer seems to exist

RickH

Post by RickH »

Cunobelin wrote:Slightly OT

When we used a canal or waterway, we used to download and carry a permit

Free of charge and simple to complete, but was always useful with the "you rent allowed to cycle here" brigade that are common on canals

Unfortunately it no longer seems to exist

The permit system died with the demise of British Waterways, now the Canal & River Trust, a charity rather than the previous government agency.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

It was simply so handy... there is always the dog walker or boat owner who will claim you are not allowed to cycle, and producing a permit was always a great way to shut em up
MikeHaynes

Post by MikeHaynes »

Thanks Rick. Was there much traffic on the road when you rode on it?
RickH

Post by RickH »

MikeHaynes wrote:Thanks Rick. Was there much traffic on the road when you rode on it?

No it has quite light traffic, I be surprised if you encountered more than 10 cars riding that way. You could well see more cyclists, as it is quite a popular route (from the turning to Huxley through to Waverton you are on the Cheshire Cycleway route).

When we went that way about a month ago there were some quite bad potholes at the Waverton end (strictly Village Road & Common Road once you get to that end) but the were marked up for fixing so they may well have been sorted for now.