Which titanium frame?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
The utility cyclist

Which titanium frame?

Post by The utility cyclist »

I'm looking to possibly replace, well rather simply just get another Titanium frame, my 22 year old Raleigh is a lovely bike and I have some clamp on mudguards but it can only just sneak a 26.5mm tyre (so a 27mm for my 14C rims) in the rear. I also want something I can use in all weathers without getting my higher spec kit dirty :lol:
I don't mind second hand so actual forum offers are welcomed but it needs these requirements.

RIM brake only, I'm not interested in a disc frameset, so this could be caliper or canti/v-type though preference to caliper as I've some Ultegra long drops that I'd like to use.
Can take a 28mm tyre WITH mudguard clearance, thus would have eyelets, pannier rack eyelets are a bonus but not a deal breaker without.
BSC threaded BB
A minimum of 57cm seat tube/57cm top tube, up to a 60cm.

An older Omega which has eyelets is on ebay, asked owner and he's not sure on clearance just sent me an off centre photo with a steel rule next the stays which shows it might be 38mm between them :roll: . Not sure if this is the Xerxes model, it turns oout to be too small in any case.

The Enigma Etape seems to have clearance for a 25mm tyre but thought I came across a reference to 28mm but may have only been without guards. This seems to follow on with the new Evolve which on the Enigma website doesn't make it clear if 28mm tyre is with or without mudguards fitted :roll:

Airbourne Carpe Diem, I bought one of these last year but it was simply too small, it was the perfect frame in many ways as it took std 130mm road wheels and had room for much wider tyres with guards, these are like rocking horse poop though.

Genesis Equilibrium also seems a contender but different era models seem to have a slightly different clearance.

What else is out there, don't want top end so not looking to spend more than £1500 on a new frame.

I've just seen a sold Airbourne Valkyrie bike, takes a 32mm tyre with mudguard and had pannier rack eyelets too, in my size as well, sold for less than £500, I could cry, it would have been perfect, dagnabbit!
cycleruk

Re: Which titanium frame?

Post by cycleruk »

My steel Genesis Equilibrium will not take 28mm tyres with mudguards, It will do 25s fine but the chainstays are really to short for 28s. Genesis responded to my Email very quickly if you want to check with them.
Have you considered SPA Ti bikes? Their Audax is supposed to take 28mm size with mudguards.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
PH

Post by PH »

The utility cyclist wrote:The Enigma Etape seems to have clearance for a 25mm tyre but thought I came across a reference to 28mm but may have only been without guards. This seems to follow on with the new Evolve which on the Enigma website doesn't make it clear if 28mm tyre is with or without mudguards fitted :roll:

The Etapes that I've seen have std reach calipers so unlikely to take 28s and guards, I'd say won't take but there's a range of sizes listed as 28. The Omega that preceded it likewise, haven't seen an Evolve, photos don't look like long reach.
Airbourne Carpe Diem, I bought one of these last year but it was simply too small, it was the perfect frame in many ways as it took std 130mm road wheels and had room for much wider tyres with guards, these are like rocking horse poop though.

Didn't that evolve into the Van Nik Amazon? A bike that's been on and off my wish list for a decade though I've also only ridden one the wrong size.
I've just seen a sold Airbourne Valkyrie bike, takes a 32mm tyre with mudguard and had pannier rack eyelets too, in my size as well, sold for less than £500, I could cry, it would have been perfect, dagnabbit!

Don't shed too many tears, I think someone has that wrong, the Airbourne Valkyrie became Van Nicholas Euros a std drop brake Sportive model, it wouldn't have taken that tyre size. The did make a few custom models - Paul Smith who occasionally posts on here had a hand in the design - even these only just took 28's and that model evolved into the Yukon. That's still a popular bike and I see plenty of them on Audax, usually running 25's or undersized 28's.

I've given up on the idea of 28s, guards and caliper brakes, might be just my choice of lanes that are mucky for much of the year, but the clearance isn't enough for them to not get clogged up frequently. Not helped by none of the OTP carbon forks I've seen maximising the long drop brakes.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Kinesis?
28 mm tyres with guards, calliper brakes but not 100% about bottom bracket.
https://www.merlincycles.com/kinesis-ra ... 92577.html
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

A Van Nicholas Yukon would meet your requirements AFAIK. I got mine in about 2007 and I use 28 mm tyres with mudguards on it. It has a threaded BB, long drop Shimano caliper brakes and eyelets for a rack. I don't know if they have changed the spec at all; their website is a bit short of detail.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Looks like the BB is threaded.

kinesis.jpg
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Planet X do anything?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've got 2 Enigma Etape's one disc the other rim. They will take 28mm but not with full mudguards, unless you use mudguards that don't pass through the forks.

I also have a Sonder Camino Ti

They are all great bikes. Mine are built for different purposes

The Sonder will take up to 45mm. I've just been over the Himalayas on mine with 42mm nobbly tyres, but I frequently ride it at home with 25mm and fast wheels
honesty

Post by honesty »

Spa audax?
The utility cyclist

whoof wrote:Kinesis?
28 mm tyres with guards, calliper brakes but not 100% about bottom bracket.
https://www.merlincycles.com/kinesis-ra ... 92577.html

I was looking at one early hours and the the V3 version has a disc based fork :roll: it also has internal cable routing which puts ugly bits on the frame and needless holes so I think the V2 variant might work if it could take 28mm.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

As you know exactly what you want why not get it built from Burls or one of the Chinese builders?
The utility cyclist

PH wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:The Enigma Etape seems to have clearance for a 25mm tyre but thought I came across a reference to 28mm but may have only been without guards. This seems to follow on with the new Evolve which on the Enigma website doesn't make it clear if 28mm tyre is with or without mudguards fitted :roll:

The Etapes that I've seen have std reach calipers so unlikely to take 28s and guards, I'd say won't take but there's a range of sizes listed as 28. The Omega that preceded it likewise, haven't seen an Evolve, photos don't look like long reach.

Didn't that evolve into the Van Nik Amazon? A bike that's been on and off my wish list for a decade though I've also only ridden one the wrong size.

Don't shed too many tears, I think someone has that wrong, the Airbourne Valkyrie became Van Nicholas Euros a std drop brake Sportive model, it wouldn't have taken that tyre size. The did make a few custom models - Paul Smith who occasionally posts on here had a hand in the design - even these only just took 28's and that model evolved into the Yukon. That's still a popular bike and I see plenty of them on Audax, usually running 25's or undersized 28's.

I've given up on the idea of 28s, guards and caliper brakes, might be just my choice of lanes that are mucky for much of the year, but the clearance isn't enough for them to not get clogged up frequently. Not helped by none of the OTP carbon forks I've seen maximising the long drop brakes.

The seller was quite specific about the rear being 32 and the front 28 and had mudguards fitted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/1733986308 ... 675.l10137 may have been a freaky friday job but clearly it's as tight as a gnats chuff :lol:

The annoying thing is that you can get a R525 frameset that fulfils exactly my requirements, and indeed I have one sitting on the landing but it's a tad small and I don't want a steel frame in any case. I don't want to nor need to go the disc route yet it would seem that manufacturers are reluctant to make some minor modifications so that customers can have what they want, okay you can get a handbuilt frame but that's a whole different level of money.
The utility cyclist

Bonefishblues wrote:As you know exactly what you want why not get it built from Burls or one of the Chinese builders?

Chinese, no thanks, for various reasons.
Burls, might be an option, there's no info on the website regarding tyre sizes that fit - why are builders so reluctant to actually find out what will fit and then put their finding on their website! :x
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:As you know exactly what you want why not get it built from Burls or one of the Chinese builders?

Chinese, no thanks, for various reasons.
Burls, might be an option, there's no info on the website regarding tyre sizes that fit - why are builders so reluctant to actually find out what will fit and then put their finding on their website! :x

Because he'll design what you want - you want 28s and mudguards, that's what you will get :D
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Burls for a custom russian made frame although sometimes there are standard frames available.