Advice for new cyclist

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rhill8416

Advice for new cyclist

Post by rhill8416 »

I am looking for some general advice not from people who are trying to sell me a bike…

I am wanting to take up cycling as a way of getting fit and ultimately commuting to work. To begin with I would be looking at short local rides (North Bucks, fairly flat bar a few inclines) getting me used to riding the bike and building up to commuting to work 2 to 3 times a week (30 mile round trip on roads).

I have been and spoken to a couple of bike shops in Milton Keynes (Evans & Phil Corleys), and have looked at a few bikes (Cube Attain, Trek Domane AL 3 & Specialized Allez). I haven’t had the opportunity to test any of these yet but will do before making my final decision.

Firstly, I would like to know the general thoughts of these 3 bikes (from people not looking to sell me one of these bikes). Personally (without riding any of them) I am more leaning towards the Trek Domane AL3 as it seems better suited to my needs (thicker tyres, mudguard fitting points etc) but is there a noticeable difference between the AL 2 & AL3? Also, what are thoughts on tubeless tires (on the Trek)?

Secondly, I am compiling a list of items that I would need to begin with and creating a budget, is there anything I have missed or have I got most things covered?

Bike
Helmet
Shoes
Gloves
Shorts
Jersey
Pump (Manual or Co2) – thoughts please
Tools (Multitool, puncture repair, inner tube (not for Trek)
Lock
Lights
Mudguards
Saddlebag

Thank you all for your thoughts and assistance.
thirdcrank

Re: Advice for new cyclist

Post by thirdcrank »

Welcome to the forum.

You seem to have narrowed your choice down to road bikes ie cheaper versions of racing bikes. If you do reach the point of commuting, you are almost certain to need to carry some luggage, even if that's only a spare shirt. Road bikes don't have luggage racks and fitting them can be a struggle so you could end up using a rucsack which is not everybody's cup of tea. Unless you restrict your riding to dry weather - not easy when commuting - you may find benefit in having mudguards, which again isn't always easy on a road bike
=================================================
PS Your list of things to buy includes a helmet. That's almost always a contentious subject on this forum and if you don't want to run the risk of your thread becoming another helmet thread, you might consider editing it out.
whoof

Post by whoof »

thirdcrank wrote:Welcome to the forum.

You seem to have narrowed your choice down to road bikes ie cheaper versions of racing bikes. If you do reach the point of commuting, you are almost certain to need to carry some luggage, even if that's only a spare shirt. Road bikes don't have luggage racks and fitting them can be a struggle so you could end up using a rucsack which is not everybody's cup of tea. Unless you restrict your riding to dry weather - not easy when commuting - you may find benefit in having mudguards, which again isn't always easy on a road bike

Both the Trek and Specialized have rack and mudguard fittings. Both state they will take 28 mm tyres so probably will take 25 mm with mudguard fitted. I would ask at the shop.

To the OP all three bike are very similar I would advise that you try them before deciding if this style of bike is for you.

As to your list of things. If you are going to ride or commute at any time other than good weather in the summer I would add base layer, water proof jacket, tights/leggings, overshoes, a hat/cap of some sort and possibly glasses (a bee in the eye at 20 mph hurts).
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

As a Domane rider for over 5 yrs I still wouldn’t look anywhere else. Handling, ride,and confidence building are first class. Trek lifetime guarantee, I’ve used, was honoured. Re mudguards get them and some of your other needs included and fitted in the original deal. I did give up with conventional mudguards as clearance not enough to deal with a lot of claggy mud.
I’ve no experience of tubeless tyres and my experience with Co2 made me buy another pump.
You’ve not included waterproofs or tights in your list as it’s not always warm and sunny.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

That's quite a long commute, about 50% longer than mine.

If you're planning on doing it through the winter, mudguards are an absolute essential. They make far more difference than you'd expect to riding on wet roads in winter. I would insist on a bike which fits full, standard guards - I'm not sure if this is the case for your machines or not.

Top quality lights would be next on my list. I use Exposure lights which are both ruinously expensive and the best accessories I've ever bought. There are cheaper options, but don't skimp. Consider a hub dynamo front wheel if commuting through winter.

How much stuff will you be carrying? I'd also recommend a bike which can take a rear rack. Panniers are much better than a rucksac; a bar bag is also a good option, though can interfere with front light fittings.

If it were me, I'd go for an "Audax" style bike for this duty, marginally less sporty than the ones you suggest, but a bit more practical. Though I'm sure those you suggest would be entirely feasible and good bikes overall.

For me, exactly which bike matters less than the service you'll get from the the shop you buy it from. I'd choose the shop first then go through options with them.

Finally, neoprene overshoes - again if you're doing this through winter.
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

In your list of things you need to buy
I couldn’t help but notice you have not written down peddles

There is a reason you call them push bikes and not peddle bikes in the uk.
I’m looking to buy my first road bike and Peddles seem to be an option extra on every one I’ve looked at.
My poor poor bottom
whoof

Post by whoof »

Xilter wrote:In your list of things you need to buy

I’m looking to buy my first road bike and Peddles seem to be an option extra on every one I’ve looked at.

I used to peddle bicycles. Then I stopped working in a bike shop.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I would try a few different sorts of bike before you plump on a particular type. It may well be that you end up with a road bike (probably what you would call a racing bike), but for commuting you may find another style more suitable.

Personally, I ride a flat bar touring type bike. Wide tyres, mudguards, rear rack, etc. Solidly built and a good all weather machine.

Also, many would recommend an in gear hub (like the old Sturmey Archer of your youth), for commuting.

Another thing to think of is that 'smart' looking bikes are more prone to theft.

So, my advice is to look around a bit and try a few before settling on one type of bike.

Enjoy the free rides.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

"Pedals" :twisted:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Pretty much all built bikes come supplied with rotational foot adapters these days - they might not be great or what you want but you generally get some to make them fit for purpose.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

As a 4 season commuter cyclist of about 120-150 miles a week, I'd suggest that the key features you'll need are reliability and durability

I'd suggest racks and mudguards as part of the package. A tourer or high end city bike will provide those.
Hub gears (Shimano nexus or Alfine) are weatherproof, low maintenance and just work. Derailleurs can clog up with dirt especially when it's wet and grotty out.
Hub dynamos and lights are another essential, and much better than battery lights. they are always on, and next to no drag from them.

Depending what you're intending/need to carry will affect what luggage you need. A rucksack will be a sweaty strain on the back. Pannier or rackpack/saddle bag would be a good choice or perhaps just a bar bag if you're not carrying much.
As per clothing that's a very personal choice, but merino base layers for the colder weather are just brilliant. I use Aldi ones. Alsi do a lot of decent good value clothing which usually comes in store for a few weeks in September and May. I've used the winter gloves and base layers for several years and never been disappointed
horizon

Post by horizon »

I'm wondering if the OP got good advice from the bike shops. A 30 mile round commute may well require a road bike to do it in a sensible time (i.e. to get to work and back home) but commuting still has its challenges (road surface, weather, luggage etc). Might the OP have been better advised to build up his/her cycling experience on a different sort of bike before plunging into a 30 mile commute by road bike?

BTW, I don't have a fixed idea on this - just wondered what others thought.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Might the OP have been better advised to build up his/her cycling experience on a different sort of bike before plunging into a 30 mile commute by road bike?

OP is talking about "building up" to 2-3 times per week, not plunging directly into an every day commute.

I don't think that's unreasonable for someone who is otherwise fit and healthy?

The bikes suggested seem OK too, although there may be even better options.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re the commute, in terms of effort, I don't think riding 15 miles twice a day is a big deal for a reasonably fit rider, but in terms of time, it's a big commitment when other things like getting washed and changed are taken into account. FWIW, at that distance, I fancy that all but the most committed riders might be looking for reasons not to ride, especially in Winter.