Does anyone know how can I repair this tyre?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PendingNewName

Does anyone know how can I repair this tyre?

Post by PendingNewName »

Or do I need to buy new one, thanks?

https://ibb.co/bEnqQe
Last edited by PendingNewName on 1 Aug 2018, 2:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
amediasatex

Re: Does anyone know how can I repair this tyre?

Post by amediasatex »

That’s knackered. Buy a new one.

The scuffing through the sidewall is bad enough, you might have been able to patch that as a temporary thing but on the right hand side you can see the casing has been sufficiently compromised that it’s distorted and started to bulge. I’d want to do no more than gingerly ride home on that, slowly and waiting for the bang...
Last edited by amediasatex on 1 Aug 2018, 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I would not ride that tyre another metre. It needs replacing.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

New tyre needed.

If similar happens out on the road, putting a boot inside (I use a section cut from an old tyre) will get you home OK (probably), but if the scuffed patch tears whilst you are riding, the boot will probably fail, giving a burst tyre.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

PendingNewName wrote:.....Or do I need to buy new one....?....

It is the first of the month, so you are exactly four months late with that one..... :wink:

I can just about imagine booting that so you could ride ten miles home (slowly) but otherwise.... nope... that one is to be filed under 'B' for bin.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

Chewing gum mate!

Seriously. The way that it’s torn and the length of tear I’m afraid it looks done for
My poor poor bottom
freiston

Post by freiston »

Brucey wrote:

It is the first of the month, so you are exactly four months late with that one..... :wink:

I have to admit that I took a second look and checked the posting date when I read the OP - I was surprised when I saw that it wasn't four months old.

On a more serious note, I've never had to use a tyre boot but read somewhere that pieces cut from plastic milk cartons make good boots and now I carry a couple of bits in my toolkit or rack-top bag when I go out.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

it's 1st Aug, NOT 1st April, :roll: some people.
rjb

Post by rjb »

More of a concern is to investigate what caused it. You don't want a replacement to go the same way. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
whoof

Post by whoof »

rjb wrote:More of a concern is to investigate what caused it. You don't want a replacement to go the same way. :wink:

I bought a second hand folding bike this year. The rear tyre had loads of tread left but the side wall was trashed. The brakes had been set up with the pads totally hitting the tyre and completely missing the rim.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Place some denim or canvas betwill holdit in placeween the tube and tyre-it is like hernia repair.You can use adhesive but I have found that the pressure of 100psi
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It's dead, Jim.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
the_twin

Post by the_twin »

freiston wrote:
Brucey wrote:

I have to admit that I took a second look and checked the posting date when I read the OP - I was surprised when I saw that it wasn't four months old.

On a more serious note, I've never had to use a tyre boot but read somewhere that pieces cut from plastic milk cartons make good boots and now I carry a couple of bits in my toolkit or rack-top bag when I go out.

A folded bank note will get you home with a tyre like that. You can then take it out and exchange it for a new tyre at your local bicycle shop.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

You could make it rideable. In many parts of the world that would be more than acceptable and it would probably go on for years. In our society where cash and goods are plentiful and cheap no one bothers hence the comments. We are also very risk averse as can be seen.
To patch it you would need the inner carcass to be dry and grease free. Something robust like thin plastic/tarpaulin or cloth could be glued to it inside with some support on the outside until dry. Maybe pressure need to be low and until its proven a close watch needs to be kept on it. I would also fit it to the rear .
However you would have to balence the cost of glue etc plus your time and possibility of success against the cost of a new one. If the tyre was rare and needed for originality on a bike that spends its life i the shed with the occasional Sunday pootles I might patch it. From your point of view a replacement is the best way.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

yostumpy wrote:it's 1st Aug, NOT 1st April, :roll: some people.

+1
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.