Need to register Etrex 20?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
whoof

Need to register Etrex 20?

Post by whoof »

I've just bought a Garmin Etrex 20x. I've spent most of the evening trying to register it on Garmin Express but I can't even get the webpage to open. Does anyone know if I can use it without registering it? Will the Topoactive European maps be available. I'm getting to the stage where I have enough of it and am thinking of returning it on Monday and all I've done is out the batteries in.
andrew_s

Re: Need to register Etrex 20?

Post by andrew_s »

I never registered my 30, and never bothered downloading Basecamp.
IMO, registering is mostly an alternative to keeping the receipt for warranty purposes, and so Garmin can advertise to you.

The only thing that I remember downloading was the manual.

TopoActive is just a version of OpenStreetmap. It should be there, but you may have to turn it on.
Go to the map page, menu (left button) , set up maps, select maps (I think; I'm using a 64s now, and the E30 batteries have just gone on charge).

One thing to note is that on first use, you've got to take it outside where there's a good view of the sky and leave it turned on for 15 minutes or so whilst it receives the ephemeris data from the GPS satellites (i.e. where the satellites are). You'll have to do the same again if you don't use it for 6 months, or fly to Australia.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There is a programme called Garmin Express which amongst other things updates the internal maps.

This can be temperamental if the unit is not registered
whoof

Post by whoof »

Thanks both.
I'll start it up leave it to find satellites and sort out North. If it's got the maps in place and is usable then I'll attempt to load Garmin Express at a later date.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

You need to use Garmin connect, create an account then plug your device in. Then when you sync your device garmin express should automatically open. I've never had that many emails from Garmin.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Can't remember if I registered by 20.

Never bothered with any Garmin supplied maps.

I use these:

http://www.openfietsmap.nl/

a flavour of OSM.

Excellent.
Sweep
whoof

Post by whoof »

Sweep wrote:Can't remember if I registered by 20.

Never bothered with any Garmin supplied maps.

I use these:

http://www.openfietsmap.nl/

a flavour of OSM.

Excellent.

Thanks I'll take a look.