Strava - resolving different units of measure for distance

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cube Rider

Strava - resolving different units of measure for distance

Post by Cube Rider »

My Strava settings are in miles but I'm wondering, if those I follow or those who follow me have their Strava set to kilometers, does the records of their activity convert their kilometer distance to miles and for them my miles to kilometers?
Last edited by Graham on 17 Aug 2018, 5:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title - rather more helpful.
PH

Re: Strava

Post by PH »

Yes. Likewise for any clubs you're in, the admin will have set which units to display.
Cube Rider

Post by Cube Rider »

Hi PH, so are you saying that if one of my following shows a ride of 56 miles on MY dashboard and that person uses kilometers he's really done 56k?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Cube Rider wrote:Hi PH, so are you saying that if one of my following shows a ride of 56 miles on MY dashboard and that person uses kilometers he's really done 56k?

No, the distance will be right but displayed differently. You see 56 miles they will have done ~90km.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

I use miles but for the monthly challenges Strava converts it to kms.Strava automatically converts it to whatever each users preferences are.
So 10miles will be showns as ~16km etc or vice versa.
Eg my 103.5 miles shows up as ~166.5km on the Gran Fondo challenge.
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

I'm old school and like miles, so my Strava is set to display miles and feet. I am amused when as a concequence Strava reports friends' swims in yards.

When I first saw it I rang my friend to see which pool he was swimming in and whether it was actually an old 'yards' pool.