Bike Recommendation

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
MrN1989

Bike Recommendation

Post by MrN1989 »

Hi All,

New to cycling and want to get a bike that would be suitable forgetting to work via road and canal cycle paths..I'm looking to spend upto £600 and just look for recommendations really. What I should avoid and what would be suitable for a beginner (I can ride a bike) T.I.A

Matt
Mud-Plugger

Re: Bike Recommendation

Post by Mud-Plugger »

Usually, but not always: flat bars and fatter tyres for towpaths. AKA 'Hybrid': (28" wheels and 8 gears) or older mountain bike style (26" wheels, 21+ gears).

Also you don't need to pay a lot. Commuter bikes take a hammering, get stolen. Starting point is about £250 for alloy framed hybrids, with decent double-wall rims.

Best to shop around at the bigger dealers like Decathlon and Evans. Their stores are big enough to have a lot of stock in different sizes, and they let you test ride a bike around the store.

New bike models are released in September so there are often big discounts towards the end of the year on 2017/18 models.

Sample: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-5 ... 05210.html
whoof

Post by whoof »

Welcome!

If you decide what you need in a bike then can help to narrow down the huge variety that's available.

IMO for getting to and fro work I would require:
1. A rack for a pannier so I didn't get a sweaty back and have a ruck sack sticking into me.
2. Full mudguards so I didn't get a wet backside.
3. If I was riding on canal tow paths I wouldn't want skinny tyres.

These (1+2+3) would rule out most road (racing) type bikes.
This leaves hybrid, mountain, cyclo-cross, touring and adventure bikes.

If you then consider what type of riding you will be doing other than commuting this can help reduce the list further. Do you want to ride 'full-on' off road trails, if not you probably don't need suspension and can rule out all but >25 year mountain bikes.

If you don't want to use drop bars, personally I would happily ride down a canal tow path with them then this leave hybrid and a few touring bikes (unless you want to make some fairly major change to a new bike).

Other considerations are do you want or want to avoid disk brakes and how hilly is the riding you will be doing (and how fit are you) as this may dictate what gearing range you need.
Xilter

Post by Xilter »

Will you be exclusively riding on paved roads? Have you scouted these roads are they paved decently or full of ruts.

Have you tried out a few different styled bikes and determined which is comfortable for you.

Riding to work, Make sure whatever bike you choose has allowances for mudguards because you KNOW you won’t only have to work on sunny days.

and I’d strongly recommend a pannier rack as I personally find cycling with the weight of a rucksack pulling on my shoulders to be quickly painful and if that’s not a detereeant then your back sweating from the contact surely ought to be.

I only started cycling a couple weeks ago. I’m currently riding a £90 machine I bought at a charity shop while I myself decide what I want. So I won’t pretend to know enough about brands to make a suggestion. But I have in my two weeks figured out a few very important issues that the bike I do choose is going to have to overcome.

I’m currently not convinced you can be accused of buying the Wrong bike if you know what you want/need and the bike provides that for you.
My poor poor bottom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Here you go, a bike that will do 95% of all journeys, on or off road, and all the bike 99/100 people would ever need, if they were being honest (me included) :D

Of course, as you more closely define what your cycling aspirations are, the recommendation may change!

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-li ... e-EV275573
freiston

Post by freiston »

Bonefishblues wrote:Here you go, a bike that will do 95% of all journeys, on or off road, and all the bike 99/100 people would ever need, if they were being honest (me included) :D

Of course, as you more closely define what your cycling aspirations are, the recommendation may change!

Can be fitted with mudguards and carrier too. Might be a bit low-geared for some.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

freiston wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Here you go, a bike that will do 95% of all journeys, on or off road, and all the bike 99/100 people would ever need, if they were being honest (me included) :D

Can be fitted with mudguards and carrier too. Might be a bit low-geared for some.

97-odd inches as a biggest gear is probably enough for all but the 1/100 I figure :wink:

For most cyclists most of the time we are looking for the next lower ratio, and this delivers!