bus exhaust

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cyril Haearn

Re: bus exhaust

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I worked at a firm making air filters
The small, tiny particles are very problematic apparently, they can get right into the lungs and the bloodstream where larger particles cannae go
Maybe we cannae see or smell the tiny particles, only fancy machines can detect them
Might be true, truth is we do not know, in a few decades we will understand just like with asbestos &c, -1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:It’s to try and ensure the particulates are blasted towards the road, and not people’s lungs. The new hybrid electric busses don’t really emit like the old smelly smokey busses did though.

The old smelly 'busses gave a good impression of being coal; fired when they were in need of some maintenance, but the modern 'busses in our area (and most of them are) don't exhaust visible emissions. I'll have to observe, and see whether they angle the exhaust pipes down, and whether they emit at the rear off-side. Interesting one this.
mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Ok so if I understand the exhaust is directed down so particulates settle out
and busses are generally better than many other vehicles

Nevertheless I feel an unpleasant sickly warm wind coming from the back of any bus I cycle behind which I don't get from cars, vans or SUVs - is that from the exhaust or the radiator?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mikeyg123 wrote:Ok so if I understand the exhaust is directed down so particulates settle out
and busses are generally better than many other vehicles

Nevertheless I feel an unpleasant sickly warm wind coming from the back of any bus I cycle behind which I don't get from cars, vans or SUVs - is that from the exhaust or the radiator?

I think that's air being blown through the engine compartment, and not exhaust.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Out riding today and was overtaken by a diesel Landrover.
Absolutely YUK! :shock: :shock:

Also, there's a farmer near here who has a smelly old tractor. Tractor exhausts tend to be a "chimney" out of the top of the bonnet. The exhaust is at the eye level of the farmer! Who designed that system? :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mick F wrote:Out riding today and was overtaken by a diesel Landrover.
Absolutely YUK! :shock: :shock:

Also, there's a farmer near here who has a smelly old tractor. Tractor exhausts tend to be a "chimney" out of the top of the bonnet. The exhaust is at the eye level of the farmer! Who designed that system? :shock:

Newer ones have them at the A pillar and above the cab.

Originally, they stuck out of the bonnet because they were attached where the manifold was at the back of the engine.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Don't know the make.
It sounds like a diesel, and it's very very smelly.
Similar to a Fergie but a tad bigger, but not as big as a Fordson.
It's a buff cream yellow colour if that helps. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
atoz

Post by atoz »

A pity just about everywhere in the UK got rid of trams and trolley buses, given what we now know about particulate emissions. I know you can't run them everywhere, but it would have made a difference especially in cities. Typical short sighted approach- the same mentality that got rid of a large chunk of our rail network not long after.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

atoz wrote:A pity just about everywhere in the UK got rid of trams and trolley buses, given what we now know about particulate emissions. I know you can't run them everywhere, but it would have made a difference especially in cities. Typical short sighted approach- the same mentality that got rid of a large chunk of our rail network not long after.

Three towns in Germany still have trolley buses (many more have trams)
In Solingen and Esslingen the trolley buses are being upgraded with batteries, these are charged from the wires in service, no need for hours of stationary charging which is otherwise a big problem and means many more buses are needed
The trolley buses can use battery power for the routes without wires, the diesel buses can be scrapped. Or exported to the UK :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
skelo

Post by skelo »

not a lot of fun on a recumbent trike. I just keep well behind buses (and well away from them in general!)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mick F wrote:Don't know the make.
It sounds like a diesel, and it's very very smelly.
Similar to a Fergie but a tad bigger, but not as big as a Fordson.
It's a buff cream yellow colour if that helps. :wink:

Hard to say. That colour could be David Brown, International Harvester, Case, or a custom colour. It could also be a faded industrial yellow, faded John Deere (they did a line of yellow tractors for local authorities & government agencies) or a tractor that has almost completely lost it's top coat, so you are seeing the original primer paint with a little of another colour remaining (MF red? International red? Case orange?)

It could be identified by shape, grill pattern, etc., even if brand badges are gone.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm not about to take a photo of him on his tractor! :lol:
Not the friendliest of chaps.

Thanks for the ideas of what it is, but it's got a distinctive engine note so we can hear him flash it up.
I'll try and see what it is if I see him again. Not new by any means, probably belonged to his father before him.

Damned smelly! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall