Etrex 20 Zoom

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
whoof

Etrex 20 Zoom

Post by whoof »

I have a Garmin Etrex 20 and I'm having difficulty with zooming into my position. If I create a gpx route on Cycletravel and I can load it and see the map. If I ride I move along the track. However, I see the entire track and can't see turns in the road. There are zoom buttons on the side of the map but if I zoom in it looks at the centre of the map not my position and stays there. If I use the joystick to centre my position to the middle of the screen I can then zoom in and see the detail of the road at my position. But when I move off the map the arrow that shows my position moves up the map but the map stays looking at a fixed position and I disappear off the top of it!
NetworkMan

Re: Etrex 20 Zoom

Post by NetworkMan »

Are you using track-up or north-up? I have an Etrex 20x but have only just started using it for biking as well as walking. So far only one 12 mile ride and I don't recall any particular problem. I was using track-up.

I have a problem with profiles. I have one for walking and one for biking with different maps. Problem is that when I switch to bike it doesn't switch map; I have to do that by hand.
meic

Post by meic »

If I use the joystick to centre my position

I think that this is the problem.

Just keep pressing the top right button until you are in the map page rather than a special page for looking at a particular track.

It sounds as if you are looking at a track, rather than being in the normal page used for navigation.
Which means that it will keep looking at the bit of the track that you have zoomed in on, rather than moving with your position.
Yma o Hyd
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

I wondered about that too but if you zoom in and don't use the thumbstick shouldn't it still show current position which IIRC is about 1/3 of the way up the screen? Hard to check when sitting here at the desk!

Edit
Certainly when not moving it behaves like that. If I use the thumbstick though it's like you (meic) say and I have to use the 'back' button to return to normal. If I use the stick it displays info about features on the map under the arrow so that is an indication that the back button needs to be pressed. YMMV on the exact setup though.
Last edited by NetworkMan on 15 Aug 2018, 2:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
meic

Post by meic »

Depending on where you are in the wonderful maze of the GPS's pages, the problem could be solved by no more than pressing the top right button. That would return you to a screen based on your position instead of the one based on the little white pointer that you have used (and to its mind still are using) to see things away from your position.
Yma o Hyd
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Overlap - yes we agree I think.
Message to whoof. Press the top RH back button to return things to nomal. You can zoom in and out but if you push the thumbstick sideways just once teh thing will change mode and you'll have to press back to restore sanity.
meic

Post by meic »

I dont think it is that simple.

I think they have selected a track and then entered "view track".
In which case they should come out of that (using top right button), then activate "show on map" so the track will be shown on thhe navigation page, then keep pressing the top right button until they eventually arrive in the navigation page.
Where it will now show the track and move it inline with the GPS's position along that track.
Yma o Hyd
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

I did.
Track manager, selected a track, various options are now visible - I chose view map (show on map was already enabled)
Display now shows map with entire track visible with "Go" at the bottom
I press thumbstick
Now I have a map with current position near the bottom as I mentioned earlier.

Is yours like that? Is yours a 20 or 20x? Mine is a 20x.
Not clear to me just what whoof did.
Edit
Looks like whoof's is Etrex 20x
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123948&p=1258759#p1258759
whoof

Post by whoof »

Thanks for the replies I haven't looked on here for a few days.
It's a 20X.
I seemed to have sorted it a couple of days ago.
Previously when I loaded the track/map it only seemed to recognise two points, the start and finish and if you zoomed in it did so to the middle of the map where I wasn't and chances are I would never be going.
I changed some of the settings again.

It's set to track up which it was also when I couldn't get it to work properly.

Now in 'set up' then 'maps' then 'advanced map set up' I've turned off 'auto zoom ' in 'zoom levels' both 'map point' and 'used waypoints ' are set to 80m. This has created points along the track.
Now when I load a map it centres the screen between my current position and the next waypoint. So now I can see all the detail I need and zoom in and out and it centres on my position.