New bike advice needed

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bobbybest

New bike advice needed

Post by Bobbybest »

I've just purchased a new Hybrid bike. The Voodoo Masara from Halfords and I've just cycled it home and the handlebars seem very stiff..

Even when I'm off the bike and push it from the saddle the handlebars hardly move? I actually went no handed on the bike and I nearly came off because the wheel didn't move when I leaned to one side to balance it..when I'm cycling I can turn all fine.

Could the guy of tightened it too tight when he was straightening the handlebars before I left? Or is this a normal thing on some bikes? Lol

Sorry if it seems obvious
reohn2

Re: New bike advice needed

Post by reohn2 »

Sounds as if the headset bearings are too tight you can either take it back to Halfords for adjustment or you can adjust them yourself,this video shows how to adjust slack bearings but yours are too tight so it's a matter of working backwards IYSWIM:- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK5u5ioZU8M
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 Aug 2018, 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best to take it back and get everything checked, it might have other faults

I once collected my bike after repair, the front wheel nuts were loose! You should check that yourself
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Best to take it back, get it adjusted and checked for any other problems.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

take it back and ask them to check for indexing.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I reckon he’s overdone the pretension in the headset before retightening the stem bolts. It’s a simple fix. Slacken off the stem bolts, undo the centre cap until the bars move freely and there’s no forward to backward play. Then retighten the stem bolts. To be fair to whoever did it though, I bought a Boardman road bike from Halfords a few years ago, and the headset pre tension was marked as 8Nm. That was enough to freeze the headset solid. So it may be that the guy has tensioned it to the marked setting, and this is too high.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:To be fair to whoever did it though, I bought a Boardman road bike from Halfords a few years ago, and the headset pre tension was marked as 8Nm. That was enough to freeze the headset solid. So it may be that the guy has tensioned it to the marked setting, and this is too high.

8Nm is a typical maximum torque for tightening the bung in the steerer, not for loading the headset bearing.
Marcus Aurelius

slowster wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:To be fair to whoever did it though, I bought a Boardman road bike from Halfords a few years ago, and the headset pre tension was marked as 8Nm. That was enough to freeze the headset solid. So it may be that the guy has tensioned it to the marked setting, and this is too high.

8Nm is a typical maximum torque for tightening the bung in the steerer, not for loading the headset bearing.

That depends if it has an expander or a star nut. This had a star nut. Which is interesting. I think it should have had an expander, given it has a carbon steerer. That’s one mystery solved, and replaced with another. The marker is obviously for a bung, why does it have a star nut? Curiouser and curiouser.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:This had a star nut. Which is interesting. I think it should have had an expander, given it has a carbon steerer. That’s one mystery solved, and replaced with another. The marker is obviously for a bung, why does it have a star nut? Curiouser and curiouser.

Wow, a star nut in a carbon steerer is bad news.
Marcus Aurelius

gregoryoftours wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:This had a star nut. Which is interesting. I think it should have had an expander, given it has a carbon steerer. That’s one mystery solved, and replaced with another. The marker is obviously for a bung, why does it have a star nut? Curiouser and curiouser.

Wow, a star nut in a carbon steerer is bad news.

It sure is. It explains a lot of issues I had with that bike though.